Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Angry CM smoking on stage (in a smoking area, at least)

Last night (Monday 4/28) shortly before the 8:00pm closing time of Disneyland I spotted a Critter Country CM, in costume, smoking with a buddy in the designated smoking area across from the Haunted Mansion.

While we have a lot of DLR CMs posting here, I do not see how anyone could possibly defend this.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: CM smoking on stage (in a smoking area, at least)

Yeah, they shouldn't be able to do that onstage.

• Established 2005

Did you report it Guest Relations?

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
    Did you report it Guest Relations?
    [sarcasm]Oh yes go immediately to City Hall. But first take a picture so the offending CM can be rightfully flogged.[/sarcasm]

LMAO

I am willing to bet Disney has failed to put a backstage smoking area that the CM can reach during their break. Don't complain about the CM complain that Disney is not providing adequate support for their employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

You are making an assumption that there is no smoking area, and that as a result CM's should be allowed to smoke in the onstage areas. Multiple people would have in all likelihood seen other CM's smoking in costume if that was the case.
    Being that my assumption is that they must have a backstage smoking area, then yes they should be reported.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I can't smoke in my cubicle at work and CM's shouldn't smoke in on-stage areas reserved for guests only.

Backstage is another story entirely and is a bit more complicated. On the one hand they should supply more backstage smoking areas to discourage onstage smoking. On the other hand they shouldn't make smoking easier for their CMs. One way of cutting down on insurance premiums is offering some type of smoking cessation assistance, and anything Disney does to discourage CM smoking will only help their bottom line.

CMs have the right to smoke but Disbey can easily take that privilege away. Many hosptials do not allow their staff to smoke anywhere on campus. Disney can easily do the same.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I can't smoke in my cubicle at work and CM's shouldn't smoke in on-stage areas reserved for guests only.

Backstage is another story entirely and is a bit more complicated. On the one hand they should supply more backstage smoking areas to discourage onstage smoking. On the other hand they shouldn't make smoking easier for their CMs. One way of cutting down on insurance premiums is offering some type of smoking cessation assistance, and anything Disney does to discourage CM smoking will only help their bottom line.

CMs have the right to smoke but Disbey can easily take that privilege away. Many hosptials do not allow their staff to smoke anywhere on campus. Disney can easily do the same.
    I see where you are going but on a practical side: Why offer a smoking cessation program if over 90% of the employees aren't going to be there for long? Improve the retention then worry about the well-being of your people.
    Unless you can somehow offer it to employees that have been there a certain tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I see where you are going but on a practical side: Why offer a smoking cessation program if over 90% of the employees aren't going to be there for long? Improve the retention then worry about the well-being of your people.
    Unless you can somehow offer it to employees that have been there a certain tenure.
    I'm not sure if Disney could do it this way, but at my old job they had a sort of hours scale. The more hours you worked in total the more benefits became available to you (better health care, gym membership, etc.). It took quite a lot of hours to start getting the more luxorious items, it took me about a year working both part and full time to receive all of the benefits.

• I don't feel tardy.

I dunno; smoking in Critter Country gives it that Old West feel. If the CM had rolled their own I would give them extra points for authenticity.
    Come visit my town! http://www.teritown.myminicity.com

Click to give an animal free food and care: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by teriG View Post
    I dunno; smoking in Critter Country gives it that Old West feel. If the CM had rolled their own I would give them extra points for authenticity.
    LOL!

It's actually right in front of Pirates Lair. I hope he either bummed a cigarette from someone or just stole it. In costume always keep with the theme.

Oh boy this is a bad No No! I work at DCA attractions and no for a fact we are not allowed to smoke onstage, jeez for christ sake we are not allowed to have water bottles and drink from them on stage. So we DEFINITLY can not smoke on satge in costume even if its a designated area. I do smoke and i have found that there are plenty of CM designated smoking areas backstage. And also remember the thread is about CMs lack of good judgement and (yes he was in the wrong) not a thread about how bad smoking is for you and it should be banned all together. I dont think we need to get started on that line of discussion again.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by teriG View Post
    Critter Country has nothing to do with the Old West. But I agree that it should--in fact, CC should be given back to Frontierland, Pooh and SplM gotten rid of, and appropriate Frontierland attractions be installed. Keep the canoes, and give 'em back to the Indians.

• =)

I am willing to bet Disney has failed to put a backstage smoking area that the CM can reach during their break.
    I don't know how easy it was for that particular CM to reach a backstage smoking area during that particular break, but every time I express interest in backstage, someone's quick to remind me that it's mostly industrial-looking stuff with lots of smoking CMs, so it seems to me that this CM could have made it.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Critter Country has nothing to do with the Old West. But I agree that it should--in fact, CC should be given back to Frontierland, Pooh and SplM gotten rid of, and appropriate Frontierland attractions be installed. Keep the canoes, and give 'em back to the Indians.
    Only if we give them back to the unfriendly Indians as war canoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I've been back stage and let me tell you, it kills some of the magic a bit. There are these ugly trailers and smoking CM's and broken down rides parts, Costumed characters with their heads off, some of it is neat to see. But I'd just as soon never have been backstage all together.
    I'd have to agree the smoking on stage is poor form and the last thing we need is for Disney CM's to be compared to the Magic Mountain ride operators who don't care about anything....

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast