Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: DCA's Remodel and its Impact on DLR's Future

DisPix-
    I agree that DCA needs a cohesive theme and that it must be executed properly and I agree with your ideas about defining the lands better. They are very much along the ideas I’ve had. I also agree that they should focus on time and place more than on movie themes as I’ve pointed out before. This makes for easier additions of new attractions and more cohesive theming in the long run, thus the success of the basic DL/MK concept.

I actually think that much of the fan community would actually support the parks being merged. With that being said, it’s something that I’m absolutely positive that Dis would never consider. They have a lot of practical reasons why they like to have a park be a certain size with around 30-40 attractions. DL already has more attractions then they believe it should be necessary to staff in one park, so the idea that they would consider making one super-park will never happen.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

But hypothetically, if they made one large superpark it would relieve congestion in Disneyland because suddenly all day passes grant you access to the new offerings. You can get from one end to the other through transport rides (take the DL Railroad from Toontown to Main Street, the Double-Decker to Central Station, the Red Cars to Tinseltown, and then board the DL Lightrail to Paradise Pier) or walk and do attractions along the way (healthier).

I love it would also do away with the California theme that has plagued us: Goldenland is like a national park land, Paradise Pier is obvious, Sandland (working title) let's you touch rides from Alladin, Sinbad, Scherezade, Ibn Battuta, and the Pharoahs (maybe a National Treasure Pyramid ride?). Narnia is 1) the answer to wizard world at Islands of Adventure and 2) can have medieval/fantastical rides and an impressive weenie. Well-themed lands inside a broad label of DL is the answer.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan.” -- John Lasseter

• Senior Minion

In a lot of ways I agree that could be cool, but like I said, I don't think Dis sees it as being a practical solution from everything I've heard. I cannot really defend that decision but supposedly from an operations perspective it would be a nightmare for them.

I also have to question how guests would react to the well over $100 single day admission they'd want to charge.

• Senior Minion

I also heard a rumor that they were considering just tearing out the gates to DCA and making it all part of DTD with individual ride tickets available to all of the attractions. I kind of doubt this was taken seriously, but it’s an interesting idea as well.

They shouldn't raise the price, just charge 50 bucks and enjoy having more than twice as many people. You're right UBob, it's not going to happen. Pity. I'm still for having them be separate, but they really need to ad my light rail idea around the park, a lack of transportation rides is a big problem.

The other problem is a big name. From reading Neil Gabler's book I like the idea of Disney's True-Life Adventures. But it doesn't fit things like Bugs Land and Cars Land. Maybe we're heading towards Disney's Movie Magic, but PP and Golden Land are out ...

Something's got to give. Maybe the best thing is to change to Disney-Pixar, and slowly add in Pixar movie tie ins over time until it's Pixar driven. Ugh, don't like it though.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPixar View Post
    DCA needs a theme, and execution. Animal Kingdom has an incredible theme, but I think it's been poorly done. It's like a zoo and a theme park had a child, who is only half like each parent. I can barely stretch out a day there.

Therefore, I think theme is necessary along with commitment to make it great. My idea, if wishing mattered, would be to bulldoze DCA and put in DisneySea, which has a clear theme and could hold it's own beside Disneyland. I'd keep Paradise Pier, but the rest of the park I'd level. You'd have a diverse, themed land with lots of offerings and a you could do world of color in the center.

My other idea is blasphemy to most people, but I'll say it here anyway: merge the parks. Put in a electric light rail around DCA, and connect the two with a new land in the middle called something like Liberty Junction or Grand Central Station. The Main Street Vehicles and Hollywood Red Cars both travel to the center station and can take you into the half of the park you want, or you can walk there.

I'd simply then retheme slightly to have new "lands." I'd have change the backlot into Tinseltown, U.S.A. as the opposite of Main Street with bright lights, Rolls Royces, and movie premieres, etc. I like Paradise Pier, but rather than Bugs Land Or Carsland I'd work on regional-based, like a land based on the Middle East with Pyramids, Minarets, the Cave of Wonders, etc. My answer to Fantasyland would be Narnia, with the impressive White Witches castle as a major draw in. There's a lot more I could do, but dreaming is dreaming.

You can side for your ideas until the rest of time and it's much easier to say these things in conversation than it is to actually build upon it. Those ideas are ultimately the most impractical things Disney as a company could ever do.

What they need to do though is breathe a sense of fantasy into DCA. Think about for a second on what works. Disneyland works. Tokyo Disney Sea works. Ok let's start with that. What makes these two theme parks work better than anything else out there?

There's no LIMIT to what they can represent. Disneyland is all about lands. A land of fantasy. A land of tomorrow. A land of the old west. So on so forth. Disney Sea is a all about the enchantment of the seas. Like the lands of Disneyland, the seas can each represent any place or time anywhere on earth. You have a land for the lost river delta, you have an old american sea port, a mermaid lagoon, etc etc.

THAT'S a limitless world to expand on. Lands and Seas. Any theme park that goes against this grain of thought will have many speed bumps (Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's California Adventure).

The problem with DCA was the aim of reality. But even complete fantasy can be done incorrectly (flik's fun faire). DCA needs a lot of work but it can be done. The only real bump in this path is the layout and placement of the Grand Californian Hotel which does more to take away from the theme park than it does to add to it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Transportation is definitely an issue at DCA and as it grows so too will the problem. I guess the trolleys will help, but that’s probably not going to be enough. I would love to see some boats in the PP lagoon that would take you from the wharf area to the back corner of PP until nighttime.

In terms of theme, I’ve posted many times that I think there is actually a lot of potential in the Cali theme, it just was executed horribly in the first place. I just don’t want to repeat myself so many times, but I think with some slight tweeking the theme direction the park is taking could be very good.

CB, that's why I like Disney adventure as the way to go. But I still wish to have DisneySea, reworked with new offerings, as the perfect rejoinder to the Disney lands

• Senior Minion

Cohete-

Great post, I totally agree.

• Senior Minion

I agree the concept of Dis Sea is great and works just as well as DL. Like I said, a unique version a little different from the Tokyo version would be a great third gate. That's one of the reason I so hope we still get a third gate.

UB: The California adventure them is pretty limiting in my opinion. I just don't think you can make a park in California about California and still sweep people away. I understand your view, but with deepest respect I disagree. I go to Disneyland to get caught up in the experience, and I can't quite get there with California as theme. But maybe if they'd done it better it wouldn't be a problem.

I want to turn the second gate into Dis Sea. I wish.

• Senior Minion

Try thinking of California as being more about the spirit of the people and the ideas that it represents, more than as a real place, and imagine that this is only a stepping off point for the fantastic adventures that filled the mind of a young Walt. If you take a broader look at it and be creative I think you might start to see what I see DCA could become.

DL is very much a simmilar concept. DL very much represents America in this same sort of way. It's actually a very heady concept for a amusement park and a big part of why DL was so revolutionary. It's just we're so familiar with it that it doesn't seem that way as much now. Why couldn't DCA do the same thing for Cali?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Why couldn't DCA do the same thing for Cali?
    Because "California" is way too narrow a theme to support a Disney theme park no matter what you do with it. The concept pitches like a Chamber of Commerce display at the Sacramento State Fair, or a video on the Travel Channel. The more you throw million-dollar rides at it, the more unfocused, cluttered and confusing it will feel.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

California is only too narrow a topic if you have nothing to say about California.

The problem is that, from a creative standpoint, D.C.A. has no raison d'ętre.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast