Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Senior Minion

Re: DCA's Remodel and its Impact on DLR's Future

Prag-
    I agree, lets hope they address that issue, though I too still have some doubts that they are doing so. I think you would also agree, the real issues are the layout, the poor original conceptualization of the california concept and the poor execution and cheap look, not necessarily that the concept is poor. I just think a lot of people are not using their imaginations enough, and are too tied in their minds to how the park was originally done so they can't see what it could be.

Yes, D.C.A.'s reason for being is to get people to stay overnight in Disney hotels. Making creative decisions for business reasons always results in commercial failure, though.

Thanks, Uncle Bob, for the information on some of the potential reasoning for adding characters to Paradise Pier--it was news to me that it might connect to the World of Color show. The end result is the same, though, in my opinion.

I think both Coheteboy and Uncle Bob have made some great points. Uncle Bob suggests that a land about car culture or an oceanside boardwalk *could* work--and I agree on that point. Unfortunately, this where I worry about the "toonization." Adding Little Mermaid and characters to Paradise Pier really will take away from a feeling of being transported to an earlier age.

Combined with Coheteboy's comment about the aim of "reality" creating problems--I agree. In the case of Paradise Pier, the best update, in my opinion, would be to strip away all the modern look and puns and instead transport us to a classic turn of the century design and look. It *does* appear that, so far at least, the characters they are adding may be in that classic vein (based on the Classic looking Mickey on the Sun Wheel image and the classic Donald Duck just added to the Midway Mania nearby vending)--and this would help

Similarly, I really hope that "Carsland" does not turn into ONLY a recreation of the movie, but instead a land that encapsulates various car culture characteristics.

The bottom line is that some of what they are doing very well might work---but it's going to be a tight line to walk in fitting in all the very diverse elements.

• Senior Minion

BrerDan-

Absolutely true, they are walking a fine line in and its going to take some leadership at WDI making sure that every decision they make enforces and does not further confuse the theme. Its an interesting problem and it will be fascinating to watch how it all works out over the coming years. I see a lot of potential and I also have a lot of concerns including those you point out, cartoonization is not the answer and too much reality is not going to make the place any more romantic, mysterious, magical or heartfelt, all of the things it's currently missing.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

The problem is that, from a creative standpoint, D.C.A. has no raison d'Ítre.

Well, it's a little late to figure that out now. I say just move on with World of Color and see how that goes. If nothing else, it gets people into the Park after hours, which seems to be what they need.

Some sort of restaurant and live entertainment stage near TOT. The original Park has live entertainment stages near all the major attractions. That seems to be a DCA problem...the lack of entertainment, or good restaurants that correspond with major attractions.

• Senior Minion

Excellent suggestions Pisces, more entertainment and dining which support the theme in which they are located are definitely needed. It tough though, because they're stuck in this vicious cycle, there aren't enough people to economically justify them now and they'll never get enough people into DCA if they don't offer more of these things. Hopefully the remodel will generate enough interest to expand the offerings in both these areas.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234