Blog Entries

Re: Tortilla Joe's - Never again

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    EVERYONE GET HER!!!
    Only if you are all bringing me drinks!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Sock Puppet

I think the only thing the Patina group has managed to do right was the $10 AP buffet extravaganza a few months ago. However the low quality of food throughout all of their restaurants and the way they run them is just insane.

It's not just limited to Downtown Disney either. Nick and Stef's in LA is a disorganized crapheap of a steakhouse.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    cbkon: a big top is an occasion to make a good impression on people who have never been in your restaurant but might be inclined to return frequently if they are pleased with it. In that sense, they failed miserably.
    I agree with you. It was definitley a missed opportunity for them. Thank you, by the way, for posting this thread...I was considering TJs for a meal whilst at DLR in September, and am now thinking I should avoid the place.

• Señor User

Too bad I didn't stick around. I would have LOVED to go to battle with management on that 4%! That was horse-hooie!

Every time we have gone to TJs in a large group, it is ALWAYS problematic in one way or the other. The food is hit and miss, the ambiance is okay (except for that whole competing noise thing that was experinced on the balcony) - glad they got rid of the live music thing (they used to have a stage, but that go bye bye).

And I am in the minority - I think it WAS all Kat's fault
    I need to get a life...

Been to TJ's only once. It was back in early April which happens to be the last time we made it to DLR. We never actually made it inside. We were able to get immediate seating in the patio, the wait for inside seating was almost an hour long. It was a perfect night weather wise to eat outside. The service was so so but the food was great although a bit pricey. The best part of the meal was the black bean salsa they served us with our chips. I wish I could get the recipe. If anyone could help me with that I'd really be grateful. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. We'll probably avoid them the next time we are there.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• done

The administrative fee does sound really odd (kinda like a Ticketmaster thing), and the comment about the AP discount because you had a reservation was odd too. All the Patina Group restaurants changed from the "1 free appetizer for every 2 AP entrees ordered" to a flat 10% discount a while ago. Did y'all ask to speak to a manager? I would have disputed both of those things myself. We had some problems on our very first visit, but it's been fine every time since. We were last there on July 14, and we had a great dinner, and we had no problem getting our AP discount.

• Again! Again! Again!

I didn't even notice the admin fee. That's lame. They really shouldn't do that. That's bogus. However, if we hadn't made reservations, we would have all had to have been there (or at least 80% of us-that's how it is at ESPN Zone for big parties) and it could have been over an hour wait. Again, the food's not the best, but it's not the worst either. On the other hand, they have great margaritas!!! And I think the chips are awesome!! Our first basket was great. The second was a little over fried, but they were still good. I thought the salsa was good. And this coming from someone who was feeling ill all night. To each his own.

And for those of you who have not eaten there. Don't just bail out on it because some of us don't care for it. There are a lot of people out there that love it. Go and see for yourself. Personally, try to sit in the cantina outside. That's where I've had the best service. Don't let people discourage you like that. There are a lot of people out there that hate McDonalds' but most of the world loves it. Make your own opinion and try not to go in with a bad attitude about it. Then you just might only see any bad points, if any. and you won't enjoy it.

Sorry everyone if it sounds negative to you. I know we express our opinions here a lot and that's OK. But you have to let people make their own decisions about places.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Señor User

One thing on pricing: ALL food establishments at DTD are overpriced. You are paying for the privilege of dining on a Disney property. I am sure that the rents being paid for square footage there are astronomical compared to "down the street." TJs is no more expensive for a comparable meal at DTD.
    I need to get a life...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    But hey we all got serenaded by the Cantada Mariachi Zombie Roaming All-Star Band so that made the night even less appetizing.
    Ok, so at least I'm not the only person who thought they looked "less than thrilled" to be singing for us. I've seen more lively expressions in a morgue. So, thanks for letting me know I wasn't just seeing things. Maybe they are *real* zombies???

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy Baby
    I am sure that the rents being paid for square footage there are astronomical compared to "down the street."
    They do pay quite a bit. There is the regular paymentplus a percentage of what they make. Depending on the place it can be up to 15%.

• Minion

TJ's is okay, they price and the serving size is not worth it. I hate having to go to restaruants where you have to wait in line to be put on a list to wait for a table.

• I found my Prince!

NEVER AGAIN!

I thought I was alone in my bad dining experience, My boyfriend and I spent our six year anniversary at Disneyland and wanted a slightly more formal dinner...unfortunatley we choose TJ's. It was obviously a "hit or miss" resturant because while we waited for our not so tastey food and not so bad drinks the table behind us were entertained by waitiers with jokes and stories and treated to drinks. We were barely acknowlegded and couldn't even get refills on water.

I again found myself wondering where to eat last night around 9ish and my first thought was NOT tortilla joes. We dined at Catal's and it was Fabulous, I highly recommend it.

• No bacon; sausage.

We had a weird experience with iSm at TJ's. If memory serves, it was on the Saturday of the 50th weekend, but I could be off by a week or two.

iSm orderd a Tequila sunrise. And he waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, after about 20 minutes, the waitress came over and explained that they seem to be out of orange juice (it was mid afternoon on a Saturday, how the hell were they going to survive the rest of the evening having already run out of orange juice?!). But hey, no problem, she sent someone over to the Uva Bar to get some (ooookay). So he waits some more. And more. And a little more. The waitress comes back, oh, sorry, they said they couldn't spare any at the Uva Bar (What the hell? Is there some orange juice shortage I don't know about that a bar owned by the same group couldn't give them 1 ounce of orange juice for a drink?!).

Oookay, so now, after waiting about 45 minutes for nothing, the waitress suggests that perhaps he would like a margarita instead, the house specialty. As iSm considered it, she managed to upsell him to one of the "Handcrafted" margaritas (using one of the better tequilas instead of Cuervo or whatever crap they use for the standard house ones). The bill comes, and he's been charged full (exhorbitant) price for waiting around for a drink that never came and then being sold a pricier drink that he didn't want in the first place.

I certainly would have assumed the replacement drink was free. I mean, perhaps if they didn't want to comp the pricier "handcrafted" one, then offer him the standard one with their compliments. But to not only charge him for having to wait for crappy service, but to upsell him in the process? Tacky.

• No bacon; sausage.

And fyi, the last time we ate at Tortilla Jo, they informed us (and a check of the AP discounts on the website confirms) that the deal has been changed to 10% off the check, excluding alcohol. So if you thought inconsistency about what the appetizer deal means was screwy, how about the fact that they can't even figure out that that's not even what the discount is at all?

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, at this point I should say that I found out about the discount thing because at the end of the evening I made a comment about "oh, we totally forgot about the ap discount free appetizer thingy (or something along those lines)" and I was informed that someone had already asked and we couldn't get the discount - meaning, someone better informed than I, I'm sure, since I try to avoid the place due to past experience, had probably asked about the ACTUAL discount. But regardless, they didn't give it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast