Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Tortilla Joe's - Never again

Of course, I say this every time I end up there. One of these days I'll learn my lesson, but I wasn't about to miss out on my friends' celebration dinner.

That aside, however, I really have to say I *hate* the way they run that place. It isn't so much the food (the beef nachos were great, but the tortilla chips were NASTY), and not even necessarily the service, at least, not the service provided by the wait help. It's the restaurant's anti-customer policies that make me hate them EVERY TIME I go there!

So, we had a ginormous group, nearly 40 people, spread across 2 20-person reservations because when Kat made the first ressie, they were all "And no more than 20, right?" Um... sorry, you don't want more customers? Anyway, so we get the bill for our 20 (okay 16 or so on the patio), and, much as we expected, there was gratuity already added. No problem with that, 16% gratuity, fine. But what is a 4% administrative fee???? Wait, that's because we had reservations??? Well, I guess they should always charge me that, because I have serious reservations every time I step foot in that place, if you know what I mean.

But wait! There's more!

As you may or may not know (given how loath they are to give it), TJ's has an AP deal. Not so much a discount as a "deal". Anyway, for two entrees, you are supposed to get a free appetizer (or is it 4 entrees? I can't keep track because of the wierd policy they have there). Anyway, every time I go the answer is different. One time, we brought in a big group -oh yeah, it must be 4 entrees to an appetizer- and we should have gotten 3 free appetizers, so we order 3 appetizers and when the bill comes they charged us for 2 of them - basically saying only 1 free appetizer per party. WHAT???? Um, NO!

This time, they said because we had reservations, we didn't get the AP deal, so no free appetizers. Because we.... what?!?!?!?

So word to the wise: for heaven's sake do not give the restaurant any notice that you're coming, because they'll reward that favor with a 4% administrative fee AND refuse to honor their AP deal.

Not that that's any different from any other time - I have not ONCE gone there that there weren't issues with the AP deal. They flat out do not want to honor it. One wonders why they offer it in the first place if they're just going to piss off the customers they attract with it.

Rest assured, I will NOT be going to Tortilla Joe's again. Unless I'm having "water" and the event is as compelling as last night's.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• /sigh

Re: Tortilla Joe's - Never again

I was NOT impressed at all, myself. Food wasn't great, too expensive for what it was, and the service was awful! And that stupid Admin fee?! I'm with you, Morrigoon...never again.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• My cuties!

That is crap!!!

• That Guy

WTF? It sounds like that banking commercial where you are charged for everything!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your time there, but I am happy for the warning!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

First off I want Kat to know this by no means means (too many means) we are angry with her for our feelings on TJ's because it actually wasnt the first choice, it was the only one that could accomodate all of us at that particular time frame without going into the 9:30pm time slot, and we appreciate all the work she did for organizing said event. It was great to hang with everyone regardless.

That said, I'm with ya'll. My quesadilla was ok, cant really screw up a quesadilla, but that admin fee? PUH-LEEZE! The chips were nasty and that salsa was, eh. $3.50 for a soft drink? LORDY!

• Basking in birthday love

I hate those retarded AP deals where it's "1 free appetizer for every 2 passholders" or something similarly convoluted. I'm so very glad Naples switched to a much more standard 10% discount. I've never been to Tortilla Jo's, and now I likely never will. Jazz Kitchen forever!

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Thanks for the report... that's enough for me; I've never been but have been meaning to give it a try. Now, I'll never set foot in the place. I would have raised HELL if they tried to charge me 4% extra for some BS "administrative fee." I've never heard of such a thing, ESPECIALLY if they didn't at least give a warning up front that such a fee existed. They would have had to have called Anaheim PD before I paid.
    --Jonathan

Olympicnut hit the nail on the head... this is no commentary AT ALL to Kat, love her dearly! In fact, I hesitated to post this thread because I didn't want her to think it was anything to do with her, it's not. But I felt that the word needed to get out about how horrible this restaurant is and the fact that I've never been in there and NOT had a problem.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Agreed. But on top of your experience Morigoon the entree that I ended up picking at was the Yucatan Chicken with carmalized plantain, Green Rice and Black Beans. There was a GRIP of foods on the plate, DustySage and i split it, but to me none of it tasted right. It was kind of "Odd" tasting, and the rice was all kind of pasty.

The waitress we had was very nice, however, that didn't compensate for the surcharges and compulsory gratuity. But hey we all got serenaded by the Cantada Mariachi Zombie Roaming All-Star Band so that made the night even less appetizing.

Still, despite that, it was a truly magical evening the likes of which won't be equaled for years to come and with a happiness that even the crapulence of Tortilla Jo's could not vanquish. We had a great time!
    Last edited by Fishbulb; 08-15-2005 at 08:00 PM. Reason: speleeng errer
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Nah, we were subjected to a combination of the banda being played over the speakers, and the even louder blues coming from DTD below. I think you got the raw end of the bargain

• Mentat

Wow, there are some issues there! My thought is that the admin fee is total crap. The rest is understandable from a restranteur's point of view. Let me explain.

Large parties are a pain in the butt. It isn't that the business isn't great, but they require extra staffing and preparation. The service is usually slower as well because the servers and bussers are dealing with more requests and orders at once than with the same number of people divided into tables of 4. When they asked for assurance that there would be no more than 20, I would bet they were trying to figure out if they needed to assign 1 or 2 servers to the party-- If you think about it, they probably had your best interests in mind with this question.

The AP discount was obviously handled wrong by TJ. If they are going to offer it, then it should be consistient...On the other hand, they could very likley fill thier tables with non-AP holders this time of year, so they probably thought they would take the low road and change the rules. I have a frequent dining program in my restaurant that tracks food points based on dollars spent. My guests get $10 off coupons and other such fun when they accrue enough points. Occasionally, one of my frequent guests will book a "special" party (like a club or group of people who are paying individually) I will not honor frequent diner numbers because of the chaos. I especially won't let the entire party to be put on any single tracking number. This policy is stated up-front, however.

But honestly, the admin fee is ubsurd!

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Large parties are a pain in the butt. It isn't that the business isn't great, but they require extra staffing and preparation. The service is usually slower as well because the servers and bussers are dealing with more requests and orders at once than with the same number of people divided into tables of 4.

On the contrary I found the service to be prompt considering the size of the group.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

The server herself (or theirselves, since each table of 20 were placed WAY far apart - going so far as to put one table outside) was actually great. No problem with the servERS. But the overall servICE from the restaurant is terrible - never NOT had a problem there, and always due to their poor policies.

• Hooterville, USA

I always have a problem with anyone adding a gratuity on my bill. It is what I want to give not what they require. That other fee you were charged, is bogus. I wouldn't have paid it or their tip. If they want your business, and 40 people is big business, then they should have catered to your needs. You paid for a service that was not up to standard. You should confront the manager and find out just what their policy is concerning AP's. And I would make them explain that last fee on the check.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I've never had a problem there. Great margaritas, I love the shredded beef nachos and my chips were always fine. However, the AP discount changed a while back to a 10% discount and I've never had a problem getting it.
    Mike

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast