Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Cast Members In Costume Outside the Parks - Bad Show?

I cringe when I see them crossing Harbor Boulevard. I cringe when I see them in the parking structure. I'm talking about CM's in full costume. Not just outside of their area, but well outside the berm of the parks themselves.

I guess it is the reality of the day with cast parking set up like it is.

But especially remembering the way it used to be, it seems to be especially "bad show'.

Agree or disagree?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Cast Members In Costume Outside the Parks - Bad Show?

Where's the poll?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Maybe they like their costumes? I dunno.

I mostly only care what's happening inside the park, where it really counts; outside of area CM's look more out of place to me.

Hmm, neither make me go as far as cringing though...

• DL Nerd

I kinda disagree...

If it's done outside the park I can't call it part of the Show... These are people going home or coming to work... It doesn't matter to me.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

wasnt this discussed already?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vroomichael View Post
    wasnt this discussed already?
    Most likely. If I am repeating a recent thread I apologize. It is just something that struck me the other day.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• DL Nerd

I haven't seen it on here before...

I could have missed it though
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Wow--you really cringe? While DIS used to discourage (if not outright forbid) this type of behavior, they do all they can to inconvenience the CMs when it comes to allowing time for changes and several trips to Costuming per shift. A CM's input would be more informative and helpful here.

It would be interesting also to estimate the number of employees (hence costumes) Disneyland had in the days 'when it used to be' compared to the staff DL carries currently.

To me it is not that big a deal. Disneyland is the stage, where the 'magic' (if one likes to refer to it as such) happens, where 'show' (good OR bad) exists--not the McDonald's across the street, or Katella avenue, or the parking lot...

• Cherry Tart

Yes, I'd say it's been discussed pretty thoroughly. That probably won't stop a bunch of people from posting their opinions here anyway though.

I would say maybe ease up a little? Most CMs who walk across Harbor Blvd and the structure are just going to their cars. Not everyone likes to take those shuttles.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

It doesn't bother me. I already know that the CMs don't actually live at DLR.

But seriously, as long as it isn't a headless cartoon character, it doesn't bother me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I cringe when I see them crossing Harbor Boulevard. I cringe when I see them in the parking structure. I'm talking about CM's in full costume. Not just outside of their area, but well outside the berm of the parks themselves.

I guess it is the reality of the day with cast parking set up like it is.

But especially remembering the way it used to be, it seems to be especially "bad show'.

Agree or disagree?
    Sorry Barry, I remember how it used to be and how it is now and believe me, the way it is now is a godsend!!! Being able to wear my costume home and to work has saved me tons of time. The way it was before, you had to go to DL then stand in line to costuming, then go to your locker and change, then to your shift, then back to change again and back to costuming to drop off your dirty costume. If it was the same way today, especially with having to park at KLOT, waiting for the tram etc. I would have to leave my house 3 hours before my shift just to make sure I was there on time. I would rather spend that extra time with my wife. It may be bad show but it truly is a godsend to us cast members today!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Wow--you really cringe?
    Well, not every time.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    Sorry Barry, I remember how it used to be and how it is now and believe me, the way it is now is a godsend!!! Being able to wear my costume home and to work has saved me tons of time. The way it was before, you had to go to DL then stand in line to costuming, then go to your locker and change, then to your shift, then back to change again and back to costuming to drop off your dirty costume. If it was the same way today, especially with having to park at KLOT, waiting for the tram etc. I would have to leave my house 3 hours before my shift just to make sure I was there on time. I would rather spend that extra time with my wife. It may be bad show but it truly is a godsend to us cast members today!!
    It's been discussed many times before.... but... with proper planning the majority of the line waiting could be avoided! I too am a member of the before and after club. I used to change after my shift, drop off the dirty, grab a clean one, then go back up and hang the clean one in my locker. Doing that at the end of a shift saved me from getting up early to stand in line the next morning! Round trip it was possibly 15 minutes out of my shift... but it saved at least 20 or 25 minutes the following morning! It really wasn't a big deal! If anything the lines for trading out are longer now then back then. I really do not think this new system has saved any time, because you are still trading out clothes, be it beginning or end, and there is still rather long lines in the "rush hours" of park opening, changeover, and closing.

As I have said before, it takes minimal effort to conceal most CM costumes... it really boils down to "does someone want to?" and that is a personal choice! If a CM is just going to the tram, the car, and home... no big deal. Even if they are pumping gas... it's on the way home and they are not out in public for a long time so who cares. It's when individuals go on extended shopping trips, go to the movies, or go out to eat... that is when it bothers me! Because it is one thing to stop for gas, or go through a drive through while in your car... it's another to actually go out, and not bother planning for it with an extra set of clothes!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I think it's bad show. Not to mention all the lost. stolen or destroyed costumes involved. I understand that Disney has always had issues with keeping track of the garments, but the change to allow costumes off property (to save money) was another poor decision of the Pressler era.

I work for the local ski resort, and logo'd vests and jacket uniforms are issued, and allowed to worn home, but you better not be caught at the local mall, or supermarket wearing it, let alone any of the many many local pub's. It's immediate grounds for termination because of the potential to embarrass the company if say, you get arrested for being drunk and disorderly or caught shoplifting ect. ect.

• =)

Meh, it doesn't bother me too much. I can understand why it would irritate some of you, but I'm of the school of thought that regards the parks (and, to a lesser degree, the rest of the resort) as onstage. Everywhere else...meh, I usually don't care as much about it.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast