Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Private meeting with Snow White for sick child

I need urgent help in relation to some advice about organising a private meeting with Snow White for a child suffering from Leukaemia who is travelling to Disneyland in 2 weeks.

This little girl is 7 years old and her “make a wish” wish was to travel to Disneyland (from Australia) to meet Snow White.

Following a huge fundraising effort in her home town in South Australia, the family are now on their way to make her dream come true. She is taking a short break from chemo treatment and upon their return to Australia, she is needing a bone marrow transplant.

The parents have booked a princess lunch at Ariel’s Grotto in California Adventure. They rang Disneyland explained what Thandi has gone through and requested a private meeting with Snow White. Disneyland told them the best they could do is get Snow White to sing “happy birthday” to her. Even though the mother explained that it was not her birthday.

Does anyone know how I could arrange a private meeting for the family? What is the protocol, who do I ring to organise this? Does anyone have a contact at Disney?

The family are simply wanting a few minutes of “special” time with Snow White privately.

Do you think this is possible?

If you can help, email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks.

• Shubisha

Re: Private meeting with Snow White for sick child

I'm very surprised that happy birthday was the best answer disney could give you. I can't imagine them not working something out for a few moments with snow white.

If you are not able to work anything out ahead of time, ask them at the restaurant if you could be the last table at which Snow White makes her rounds to and explain your situation and ask if there's any way Snow White could stay for a little and say hi. I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for.

Even if you were to go to Fantasy Fair and ask someone in charge there about it I can't imagine they wouldn't try to work something small out for you while Snow White goes out to one of her sets or is coming back from one.

This actually does not suprise me at all. My aunt works for City of Hope and she says that if its not Make a Wish, Disney will do nothing for them. She has a foundation working with City of Hope that is for kids that have already gone through Make a Wish...ie...for the kids that are on their second, third, fourth...bout of cancer and are dying. Anyway, they've tried to arrange things with Disney regardin these kids and Disney's only response is that they support Make a Wish...

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• insufferable know-it-all

As a last-ditch effort, you could try talking to City Hall super early in the day when you arrive and see if perhaps for later in the day they could plan something.

Another alternative is talk to the CMs at Fantasy Faire, see if they can set something up last minute.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Make a Wish told them too that they cannot do anything from Australia either, because this trip was not organised through them.

Friends did the fundraising because Make a Wish was not interested in her. How charming !

I have not heard great things about Make a Wish since I have known this child.

I feel surprised that Disneyland only deal with people who belong to a "special" organisation. Isn't the fact that the child is sick enough? Why do they have to "belong" to anywhere.

• Shubisha

Whether or not Disney as a corporation chooses to act on your case though, I still strongly suggest appealing to the cast members working either of those meet'n'greets, Ariel's Grotto and Princess Fantasy Fair, as individually they're likely to take an immediate empathy for your situation and try to see if they can work something out. Something like this might be a simple 2 minutes of a cast members time leaving them with a sense of self-worth and satisfaction at the end of the day that they have no problem doing but to put it together via the corporation is probably a bureaucratic nightmare.

There is a small room that some kids get to go have a private meet and greet with some of the princesses on occasion located by the Princess Fantasy Fair. I think that if you can't arrange something before then contacting Fantasy Fair a bit in advance would be a good idea... at least worth a try.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Whether or not Disney as a corporation chooses to act on your case though, I still strongly suggest appealing to the cast members working either of those meet'n'greets, Ariel's Grotto and Princess Fantasy Fair, as individually they're likely to take an immediate empathy for your situation and try to see if they can work something out.
    Exactly. Corporations have their rules, rules that lack human emotion or empathy, and most of the time for good reasons (at least business-wise). People, however, don't. Talk to the CMs. I'm sure they'll try to make your experience as magical as they can.

I agree with previous advice, and good luck!
    But just a clarification - CM's = cast members = employees. (Just in case you didn't know )

• Azungu in Africa

As has been stated, the people who are working front lines at the parks, are not there so much for the money, as the chance to make others happy. That being said, I have found they are almost always willing to accommodate any special request we have made in the past for Graduations, 50th anniversary for the parents, and even helped to make first timer with us feel special. I am fully confident if you call them directly, they will make it something the young girl will never forget.
    Prayers out to her and the family caring for her. And kudos for you for caring so much about a little girl.
    MM

• Minion

Blog Entries

I had a situation similar to this this past christmas... Make A Wish could/would not help a child as he was not audible... I helped out with tickets to the park by signing them in every day and then I went to city hall and explained the situation and that I was just trying to help the family out before they lost their son (3 at the time)... The CMs at city hall were so helpful... The family that I helped out ended up having such an amazing stay including a private meet and greet with both Mickey and Minnie Mouse.. All I can say is ask and see what happens once you are there... If you live in the area I would suggest coming a few days early to the park and asking around and seeing what can be set into place... I hope that everything works out and Thandi ends up getting her wish and spending a little alone time with Snow White...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Sorry about your situation but there is a reason why Dland uses Make-a-wish. Disneyland is not in the business of determining someone's mortality. These wish charities do the work for them, they screen out people who are not truly sick.

Let's not blast Make-a-wish, they are doing good work. If Disneyland did not have a charity to do this, you can bet plenty of selfish parents would do anything to get their not so sick child freebies. Sad but true.

My sister was able to arrange for her daughter to go into the Princess Fair through the exit and see Snow White. My niece isn't sick or anything, she just really wanted to see Snow white and after waiting for more than an hour there was no Snow White, so my sister appealed to a cast member and they hooked her up.
    I think that just talking to the cast members when you get there will get you what you need.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Minion

You might also check with VIP services and see if there is anything they can help with.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Sorry about your situation but there is a reason why Dland uses Make-a-wish. Disneyland is not in the business of determining someone's mortality. These wish charities do the work for them, they screen out people who are not truly sick.

Let's not blast Make-a-wish, they are doing good work. If Disneyland did not have a charity to do this, you can bet plenty of selfish parents would do anything to get their not so sick child freebies. Sad but true.

I was just about to say the same thing. Its not only Disney, most corporations follow these guidelines for legal reasons.

I would take the advice of several of the previous members and discuss the situation with the CM's in city hall or the ones working around the characters. If you are staying at oen of the Disney hotels it would not be a bad idea to even check with the CM's there. I know that they have been known to actually surprise guests with special requests

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast