Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Don't Get It

• Banned User

I Don't Get It

Hi,

Um...just to assure you I'm not mad at you all and I know it's been a very concerned year for the changes of It's a Small World, but I don't get it. What the hell is such a big deal? I mean, I watch the HK version of It's a Small World and it doesn't look that bad. We recieve two letters from Marty Sklar and Dave Smith. They said they're not going to get rid of the Rainforest scene and Walt Disney doesn't want his theme park to be completed. He said it'll never be complete as long there's imagination left in the world. I understand about the Blair family's complaint and I got to admit I am a bit concern. But after reading they're respond and watch the HK of It's a Small World I would give them a chance. But then you people start complaining and calling Marty a big fat freakin' liar. How can you tell he's lying? You guys don't even met him! I'm sorry, I don't mean to complain. I'm just a little bit confused that's all. I hate to be gullible, but I would give it chance.

• Yo!

Re: I Don't Get It

What you are describing is a prime example of the absurdity in the whole elitist attitude of "I don't need to see the attraction. I KNOW it's going to be bad!" Mayhem (of course) ensues from there, facts are twisted, lies are crafted to mislead the public, etc., etc. The day this doesn't happen I'd be surprised, however with IASW it's gotten too far out of hand.

I'm glad for the HK stuff that's slowly being released. The more stuff that comes out about HK, the more this nonsense dies off.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TsWade2 View Post
    Hi,

Um...just to assure you I'm not mad at you all and I know it's been a very concerned year for the changes of It's a Small World, but I don't get it. What the hell is such a big deal?
    The big deal: Disney characters do not contribute to, support, or enhance the theme of world peace in "it's a small world."

I mean, I watch the HK version of It's a Small World and it doesn't look that bad.
    This has never been about aesthetics. It's been about the message. The Hong Kong attraction looks good, but the message is now unclear - is the attraction about the Children of the World's prayer for World Peace? Or is it about finding 38 of your favorite Disney characters?

We recieve two letters from Marty Sklar and Dave Smith. They said they're not going to get rid of the Rainforest scene
    Yes, Marty Sklar said that the Rainforest rumors were "all untrue," and then a couple weeks later Imagineer Kim Irvine says that "no firm decision" has been made regarding the fate of the Rainforest. These two Imagineers are contradicting eachother... what are we to believe if Disney can't even get its own story straight?

and Walt Disney doesn't want his theme park to be completed. He said it'll never be complete as long there's imagination left in the world.
    This has NEVER been a campaign against change. It's been a campaign about preserving the thematic message and integrity of the show -- which were things that Walt Disney personally oversaw.

I understand about the Blair family's complaint and I got to admit I am a bit concern. But after reading they're respond and watch the HK of It's a Small World I would give them a chance. But then you people start complaining and calling Marty a big fat freakin' liar. How can you tell he's lying? You guys don't even met him!
    The contradictory nature of his and Ms. Irvine's statements may justify some of the accusations made against Mr. Sklar. He said one thing, others have said other things. If he isn't lying, is it the other party? And even if he isn't lying, the party he is representing is lying -- if nothing else, he is guilty by association.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to complain. I'm just a little bit confused that's all. I hate to be gullible, but I would give it chance.
    Then give it a chance. But if it turns out to be everything that's been feared, then prepare to be stuck with it for a long time a la Tomorrowland 1998, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and DCA.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Inhospitable about happy

The arguments against the proposed changes (and what they did in HK) are many. You are right that attacking Sklar's (and Dave Smith's) characters is the worst line of attack out of the bunch.

The reason NOT to give it even a chance is that it is fatally flawed in concept, even if it is done with the best of motives, even if it is executed with seamless mimicry of the original style, and even if Sklar & Co. are utterly sincere.

FACT: Like it or not, IASW is a ride that aspires to communicate a message.

FACT: IASW is widely regarded as a work of art as well as an amusing diversion.

FACT: The statement made by this work of art is that humans have a global, communal identity. To achieve that message, the ride avoids references to individuality, or uniqueness, or that which makes one person different from all other persons, in favor of a uniform stress on the common identity we all share as humans. The differences between the dolls are patently superficial: the fact that they are "basically all alike" is obviously on purpose.

FACT: "Characters" by definition are individuals, reminding us of their unique, personal stories simply by standing there and being recognized. One can-can girl is just like another, but Woody is not like Peter Pan.

There is no reason to wait and see. It cannot be done.

Now look at the arguments we have to counter, put forward by the yea-sayers (just slightly paraphrased):
    1) It's just a kiddie ride anyway, and I'll bet the kiddies will like it.
    2) It will make money.
    3) It isn't good, but it really isn't all THAT bad.
    4) Disney knows best: have they ever let us down?
    5) All change is good. Isn't that what Walt said?
    6) It'll make the ride relevant. Or something.
    7) Everybody hates IASW, including me. So I support the changes.

Oh, and I forgot the latest: Doing the same thing over and over is boring, so let's change it. Doesn't matter how, just change it. (Then it will stop being boring, see? For two or maybe even three weeks.)
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-02-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

I don't get it either. The rainforest scene is the one scene I do enjoy because of the characters and whimsy, everything else leaves me cold. I'd prefer them to keep the rainforest and replace the rest of the attraction and consolidate as well. I like the message, but do we really need an attraction twice the size of Indy to say it?

• Yo!

I would believe the "Disney characters do not support world peace" argument, however I don't see any of them wielding guns or machetes. Did I miss something?
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I would believe the "Disney characters do not support world peace" argument, however I don't see any of them wielding guns or machetes. Did I miss something?
    The whole thing about the differences between sameness and individuality.

• Yo!

All of the dolls are from different countries!! How can you even claim that there is no sense of individuality when they're made to represent different countries in the first place? The ride's finale is really the first time you even get that sense of "we're all one in the same," and they are NOT adding any Disney characters to that section of the ride which is why I don't see what they huge deal is.

All you people are prancing around like you know everything about these additions, when really all you've seen is nothing but the HK additions. Stupid if you ask me, since we don't know for sure what they're adding to DL. MasterGracey said it himself that everyone in Disney is contradicting themselves. What's to say they won't even add characters at all?
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Down Pluto!

The big deal is simply that there is an attraction with a specific theme, style, and most important - message. If a change supports or enhances that, then good. If it muddies them and makes it six other things it was not intended to be, then it's value is suspect.

What's NOT to understand?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    All of the dolls are from different countries!! How can you even claim that there is no sense of individuality when they're made to represent different countries in the first place? The ride's finale is really the first time you even get that sense of "we're all one in the same," and they are NOT adding any Disney characters to that section of the ride which is why I don't see what they huge deal is.
    Countries are not characters. Countries are not individuals. The point of IASW (rather an obvious one if you ask me) is that the cultural differences between countries are pretty superficial, while the essence of humanity is the same across the board. Except for clothes, hair, skin color, and settings (all superficial), the dolls are alike.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Banned User

Okay, now I understand. One thing's for sure I am very glad that I'm not the only one here that's obsessing. But all we need to do is have faith and see what happens. Don't worry, it doesn't mean that I said faith, trust, and pixie dust thingy. Oh by the way, thanks for the info MasterGracey.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Nothing at Disneyland should be "not that bad". What kind of standard is that to hold?!

It should always be "excellent" or get rid of it.

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Nothing at Disneyland should be "not that bad". What kind of standard is that to hold?!

It should always be "excellent" or get rid of it.

Although I agree that there is a quality of standard to uphold, and I'm apprehensive of the changes to IASW, I'm not sure if the mentality of "excellent or get rid of it" is really good or else there will be absolutely nothing in the park (simply because 'excellent' is subjective--I know people who REFUSE to go on Haunted Mansion for instance, heresy though that may be ).

I do agree with the OP that the ad hominem attacks should stop, though, it just makes the person posting and their ideas look silly, really.

• Closed Account

The water continues to get warmer, and the frogs feel fine.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Then give it a chance. But if it turns out to be everything that's been feared, then prepare to be stuck with it for a long time a la Tomorrowland 1998, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and DCA.
    Personally, I'm willing to give the changes a chance because there is very little Disney could visually change in IASW that could make me feel significantly different about the attraction one way or the other.

Only a handful of outspoken fans are fearful. The rest of us don't care or are mildly interested to see what's new.

Since the changes themselves are pretty insignificant -- on an attraction that isn't especially popular -- it's pretty hard to get excited about them.

I'm preparing to be to be 'stuck' with IASW a la POTC, The Haunted Mansion and Pirates Cove.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast