Character Greetings

When I visited Disneyland back in 1996 and prior, I don't remember having CM's assist the characters. Additionally, I remember when you could run up to characters like the seven dwarfs or chin n' dale without a huge mob of people and lines forming. Any explanations on why this has changed?

Just curious

• Shubisha

Re: Character Greetings

They've established a lot more set meet'n'greet places where the character sits in one spot. There've always been 'lines' for a character but they'd normally be on the move.

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    When I visited Disneyland back in 1996 and prior, I don't remember having CM's assist the characters. Additionally, I remember when you could run up to characters like the seven dwarfs or chin n' dale without a huge mob of people and lines forming. Any explanations on why this has changed?

Just curious
    Two horrible words.... AUTOGRAPH BOOKS.

Though at the same time the autograph books are a good thing for the DLR too... DLR must make a killing off of those little books and giant pens and to make the money worth it for people (ie: avoid complaints) I would assume, people would want to have least 5 or 10 autographs inside which means they make more characters more guaranteeably available. This does mean, though, that the characters that come out would likely only be the very popular ones that people know and recognize.

This very money-minded effort has its pluses and minuses though and it seems that whoever is in charge of the Zoo Crew now is taking some great steps in making character experiences better... last summer they experimented with having the characters play games with children but alas it seems most people just want their autograph and picture with the character rather than the magic memory of playing Duck Duck Goose with Peter Pan and Alice.

The past few weeks have seen many rarely seen characters out doing atmo including all seven dwarves at once, the three little bigs, Clara Cluck (I believe is her name), Quasimodo (and even the Victor and Laverne statues), the entire Pocahontas unit (even John Smith!), and many other "rare" have been coming out of the woodwork which is really great, IMO.
    Last edited by dlfreak; 08-16-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• SM - 14 TIMES! DLAND!!!

The hosts do a lot for the characters. One of my friends does a number of characters and one time he got really sick and couldnt breathe, he was having an allergic reaction. He called the host and they pulled him inside. They also control the crowds since in the summer all the kids chase the characters and they need help going into and out of their spots.
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

¡Quédese sentó por favor!