View Poll Results: are you in favor of changing the load area to be the "escher like" stairway effect?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, i'd like that much better than the current "limbo" load area

21 47.73%
  • no, leave that area alone, it's fine as it is

10 22.73%
  • I'd like to see it change, but not into this

11 25.00%
  • other

2 4.55%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: updates to the Haunted Mansion..what do you want in our Mansion?

You know... the original concept for the WDW HM staircase wasn't even the Escher Staircases. There were plenty of other concepts kicked around (still stair themed) that would be SO amazing. Also, considering the size of the room, they could really get away with it.

Also, just imagine looking off to a staircase in the distance and seeing doombuggies go up it (think ATIS Microscope) or even looking up and seeing guests get into doombuggies on the ceiling! They have quite a few concepts left over and if they used just a few, it would be like taking WDW HM's staircases and even enhancing it more.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    You know... the original concept for the WDW HM staircase wasn't even the Escher Staircases. There were plenty of other concepts kicked around (still stair themed) that would be SO amazing. Also, considering the size of the room, they could really get away with it.

Also, just imagine looking off to a staircase in the distance and seeing doombuggies go up it (think ATIS Microscope) or even looking up and seeing guests get into doombuggies on the ceiling! They have quite a few concepts left over and if they used just a few, it would be like taking WDW HM's staircases and even enhancing it more.
    please elaborate on these ideas

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Only in private.

• Fancy that...

sorry double post

• Disney Night Owl

Quote Originally Posted by HSM Fan View Post
    They should add Eddy Murphy. TEEHEE! Just Kidding!
    Now that would be truly terrifying!
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Also, just imagine looking off to a staircase in the distance and seeing doombuggies go up it (think ATIS Microscope) or even looking up and seeing guests get into doombuggies on the ceiling!
    Not sure I would like this. I've always thought the doombuggies were supposed to be simply ignored as part of the imaginative experience. Hint: they're shapeless, featureless blobs, painted flat black.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Not sure I would like this. I've always thought the doombuggies were supposed to be simply ignored as part of the imaginative experience. Hint: they're shapeless, featureless blobs, painted flat black.
    what I was going to say, they aren't really supposed to be that big of a part of the experience, but i'd love to hear the other ideas proposed...

• The one and only

I think the loading area should be lit very very dimly and every 30 seconds or so the lights go dim enough and you see the footprints go on. and the lights go back up and you see that their was no way of it happening.

how does the staircase work???

could it be hidden in a matter of seconds?

My idea would be a grand fouyer with chandelier and staircases as well as a large portrait over an ornate fireplace. The room would be in complete dissaray with peeling wallpaper, broken banisters, and ripped portraits. Every few minutes a bell would toll and the room would come to life. Projections on the walls could have the wallpaper become fresh and new, a fire would start in the fireplace, and the room would be transformed to what it was back in the 1800's. We would even hear ghostly whispers and laughter floating around the room with the use of directional speakers. Then the entire sequence would end with a startling lighting flash. When your eyes readjust after the flash, the room would be as it was, decayed.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    My idea would be a grand fouyer with chandelier and staircases as well as a large portrait over an ornate fireplace. The room would be in complete dissaray with peeling wallpaper, broken banisters, and ripped portraits. Every few minutes a bell would toll and the room would come to life. Projections on the walls could have the wallpaper become fresh and new, a fire would start in the fireplace, and the room would be transformed to what it was back in the 1800's. We would even hear ghostly whispers and laughter floating around the room with the use of directional speakers. Then the entire sequence would end with a startling lighting flash. When your eyes readjust after the flash, the room would be as it was, decayed.
    IDK, It sounds cool but Id rather see an effect that every guest will see, and it also kind of reminds me too much of the beast's library room in the animation building at DCA.

• =)

Yeah, I'm not too fond of that sort of build-up-and-then-vanish effect. Maybe that's just because I was forced to spend too much time in the Animation Building, but I'd rather not see that happen in the mansion, in any case.

• Inhospitable about happy

One reason I'm not opposed to the Escher stairs and ghostly footsteps in the load area is that it's very much a Claude Coats-ish effect. The load area is more indebted to Coats than anyone else, conceptually:

You can see differences, of course; most notably, the ambiguous indoor/outdoor surrealism is not used, but still, we're definitely in Coats land.

A side-by-side with the WDW stairs on the left and a close-up from a Coats concept sketch (for the ballroom) on the right shows a very close kinship, even though the visible footstep gag itself goes back originally to Ken Anderson's sketches from the late 50's.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345