Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Fancy that...

Indy's problems and solutions

I've already started another "idea pool" thread for updating an attraction... but seriously, I think that this should also be discussed. there are a few places in "Indiana Jones adventure" were it's just black or plain dissapointing, here are the problem areas...

were your car stops in the dark after going through the skull.. It's just dark and nothing happens until you start going again and go through a projection/hologram(don't know which) of spiders on a branch, this scene is un-eventful and often the effect dosn't work.

solution:add a different scene that can me more repeatable such as the smoke ring effect from TDS

the arrow room has flat 2D cut outs of spear holders, this comes off as lame and cheap, and makes it seem less like you're in a temple but in a typical dark ride

solution: replace the flats with full dimensional figures also like TDS.

another thing I liked from TDS was that when the boulder rolled, underneath it there were smoke effects coming from the ground that made it feel more intense.

now this might seem like a a lot of cloning from TDS but rest assured that our Indy could retain it's individuality.
    Last edited by pianoman13; 05-04-2008 at 03:26 PM.

• =)

Re: Indy's problems and solutions

were your car stops in the dark after going through the skull.. It's just dark and nothing happens until you start going again and go through a projection/hologram(don't know which) of spiders on a branch, this scene is un-eventful and often the effect dosn't work.

solution:add a different scene that can me more repeatable such as the smoke ring effect from TDS
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. (And it's a projection on a smoke screen. The day you can get a vehicle to pass through an animated hologram floating in mid-air, I will renounce my fascination with Disneyland as childish, pointless, and misguided.)

the arrow room has flat 2D cut outs of spear holders, this comes off as lame and cheap, and makes it seem less like you're in a temple but in a typical dark ride

solution: replace the flats with full dimensional figures also like TDS.
    This one's trickier. The room is quite narrow, and it's not a simple matter of expanding the walls outwards. The wall on the left is the exterior wall of the show building, and the wall on the right borders on the bit of track between the skull room and the aforementioned dark passage. As much as I would love to see fully-developed sculptures instead of murals on the walls, I don't think it's gonna happen. They'd be close enough to touch.

Instead, the walls could be redone to look like stone. They'd have sculpted faces and bodies and such incorporated into it, a la the beginning of Raiders. This'd be more realistic and less tacky-looking. I'd imagine the idea probably came up in the concept phase for the attraction, and if it were me, I'd have initially dismissed the idea because of the lack of visual impact--it might not "read" quickly enough. To take care of that, I'd suggest lines deeply engraved in the relief, with reddish-orange lights set back in them. These would begin to glow a moment after you entered the room, illuminating the patterns of the skeletons or whatever, suggesting the power of Mara entering the chamber, and the dart effect would begin.
    Last edited by Datameister; 05-04-2008 at 04:24 PM.

• Fancy that...

I knew you'd have to respond! success!!

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    hey! it's just an idea... I don't mind what it is, there just has to be SOMETHING there

This one's trickier. The room is quite narrow, and it's not a simple matter of expanding the walls outwards. The wall on the left is the exterior wall of the show building, and the wall on the right borders on the bit of track between the skull room and the aforementioned dark passage. As much as I would love to see fully-developed sculptures instead of murals on the walls, I don't think it's gonna happen. They'd be close enough to touch.

Instead, the walls could be redone to look like stone. They'd have sculpted faces and bodies and such incorporated into it, a la the beginning of Raiders. This'd be more realistic and less tacky-looking. I'd imagine the idea probably came up in the concept phase for the attraction, and if it were me, I'd have initially dismissed the idea because of the lack of visual impact--it might not "read" quickly enough. To take care of that, I'd suggest lines deeply engraved in the relief, with reddish-orange lights set back in them. These would begin to glow a moment after you entered the room, illuminating the patterns of the skeletons or whatever, suggesting the power of Mara entering the chamber, and the dart effect would begin.
    I really like your idea what about spots were light peaks out from the sides of the scene(that sets off the booby trap) or they could just detail the ground with nooks in the round...or they could just not do anything and just have it go off with out a visual trigger..I don't mind

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    (And it's a projection on a smoke screen. The day you can get a vehicle to pass throughan animated hologram floating in mid-air, I will renounce my fascination with Disneyland as childish, pointless, and misguided.)
    that's what I thought I knew you'd be absolutely horrified

• =)

hey! it's just an idea... I don't mind what it is, there just has to be SOMETHING there
    No, no, you misunderstand me. I think it's a great idea! That wasn't what I was getting at at all...

what about spots were light peaks out from the sides of the scene(that sets off the booby trap) or they could just detail the ground with nooks in the round...or they could just not do anything and just have it go off with out a visual trigger..I don't mind
    I like that. Something to trigger the effect would be nice, though I suppose in this case it's just the Eye of Sauron. Er, Mara. Anyways.

I will say on behalf of the dark room...while I'd love to see the smoke ring effect implemented, the current state of things does allow you to just rest for a sec. Perhaps not necessary in such a relatively short attraction, but who knows...maybe the pace would suffer a bit.

• Minion

I think there should be some points where your vehicle appears to get "hit" by some of the things that are trying to get you, like in Star Tours, where you crash into the "ice-teroids", get caught in the tractor beam, and get blasted by one of the ships, etc.

I don't know how it would be done, but as it is, it's like - "a thousand mummies trying to get us...oh, they missed...giant laser shooting statue trying to get us...oh, it missed...giant snake trying to get us...oh, it missed..." etc.

Not sure exactly how this would be done - maybe just something that could hit the vehicle with a "clank", a fake dent would appear, and the vehicle could stall for a couple seconds.

I also had an idea specifically for the snake scene. What if the snake is sleeping and our vehicle is trying to slowly sneak past without waking him up. Just as we're going past the head, he awakens and strikes, and we speed away just in time. I think that might add a little suspense.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Fancy that...

No, no, you misunderstand me. I think it's a great idea! That wasn't what I was getting at at all...
    you misunderstand me, I was saying that it was just an idea in the blue sky sense being that you're saying it would be impossible to do, not complaining that you 'didn't like my idea'

I like that. Something to trigger the effect would be nice, though I suppose in this case it's just the Eye of Sauron. Er, Mara. Anyways.

I will say on behalf of the dark room...while I'd love to see the smoke ring effect implemented, the current state of things does allow you to just rest for a sec. Perhaps not necessary in such a relatively short attraction, but who knows...maybe the pace would suffer a bit.
    I don't think so... even with the smoke ring effect, you get to "rest" before the ring comes out.. I'd still rather see something just as good as this effect but original.

• =)

That'd be nice as far as the "getting hit" thing goes, animagussurreal, but the big question is how to pull it off. That's really a very difficult thing to do in an environment you're physically moving through. Obviously, the object in question can't come in contact with the vehicle--imagine doing that hundreds of times each day for years! So then you'd need the object to come very close and then be animated to appear to bounce off, which is tricky in and of itself. Then comes the possibility of the animation not working right one time, and you smack right into the object in question. Not good. The laser effect is more plausible, since it's just light being projected...but then part of the troop transport has to dissolve in a giant fireball! Good luck with that.

EDIT:

you misunderstand me, I was saying that it was just an idea in the blue sky sense being that you're saying it would be impossible to do, not complaining that you 'didn't like my idea'
    But my comment about the as-yet-unhatched poultry ova was directed toward the smoke ring effect idea, which is totally plausible. I never meant that that wasn't practical. It is.

• Banned User

Well the first thing that anyone could probably fix is that weird half-door at the end of the dart room that's been open for a really long time...

I always thought the cobra should strike faster, but how?

• Fancy that...

But my comment about the as-yet-unhatched poultry ova was directed toward the smoke ring effect idea, which is totally plausible. I never meant that that wasn't practical. It is.
    than what was your "unhatched poultry ova" comment getting at?

• Minion

That'd be nice as far as the "getting hit" thing goes, animagussurreal, but the big question is how to pull it off. That's really a very difficult thing to do in an environment you're physically moving through. Obviously, the object in question can't come in contact with the vehicle--imagine doing that hundreds of times each day for years! So then you'd need the object to come very close and then be animated to appear to bounce off, which is tricky in and of itself. Then comes the possibility of the animation not working right one time, and you smack right into the object in question. Not good. The laser effect is more plausible, since it's just light being projected...but then part of the troop transport has to dissolve in a giant fireball! Good luck with that.

EDIT:

I was picturing something more like the air darts or the laser - something that isn't actually going to physically touch the vehicle, but just seem like it did. Or possibly a mummy swinging in the general direction of the vehicle and then you hear a "clang" and assume it was a hit, even though the mummy didn't actually come anywhere near the vehicle . Trickery! Illusion!
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Fancy that...

Well the first thing that anyone could probably fix is that weird half-door at the end of the dart room that's been open for a really long time...
    huh?
    I always thought the cobra should strike faster, but how?
    hmmm Data, explain how this could be done please

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I was picturing something more like the air darts or the laser - something that isn't actually going to physically touch the vehicle, but just seem like it did. Or possibly a mummy swinging in the general direction of the vehicle and then you hear a "clang" and assume it was a hit, even though the mummy didn't actually come anywhere near the vehicle . Trickery! Illusion!
    they could have a "bong!" sound when a dart hits the car, maybe even a dart quickly appearing to have stuck into the vehicle(a predetermined spot and it just flips out from a contraption/door in the car), and hows..about' a smoke effect out of the holes in the dart room?

• Banned User

You've probably seen the door... When you get to the end of the dart room, you make a right, and the door is to your right side. The heads of the 2d dart guys are almost floating in a way, as their bodies that are part of the wall are swung back and away from you with the hinge of the said door on the boulder side. I think it used to be closed but if it was, it must have been years ago.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    You've probably seen the door... When you get to the end of the dart room, you make a right, and the door is to your right side. The heads of the 2d dart guys are almost floating in a way, as their bodies that are part of the wall are swung back and away from you with the hinge of the said door on the boulder side. I think it used to be closed but if it was, it must have been years ago.
    still have no idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast