Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• :)

Interesting Facts: Main Street USA

Okay, so I figured that there is enough interesting, miscellaneous, and fun facts about Main Street that we could all share something we know...

Here's one: There is a fire pole inside the Fire house which Walt once used to quickly access the park from his Apartment, the pole is still there but the hole is boarded up because guests we're sneaking their way into Walt's Apartment.

I know, lame!! But Main Street is great! share your knowledge!

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Re: Interesting Facts: Main Street USA

I think that is a great tidbit! I imagined Walt in full fireman get up and a man yelling "GO, GO, GO!" Only me?

I don't know any interesting facts.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• :)

Here's another... Main Street is supposed to simulate that of a red carpet, Walt wanted all of his guests to feel like celebrities and have that "red carpet" treatment.

• whatever

Well here's a list of some pretty well known Main Street facts:

- There are several windows that have the
    names of people instrumental in the creation and continued development of Disneyland.
    - There are vents located in different places around Main Street that emit smells of anything from waffle cones to hot fudge.
    - Walt Disney's firehouse apartment has a lamp in the window that is constantly lit in memory of Walt.

• I'm not really here

Forced Perspective, but in a way you wouldn't normally think of.

The buildings on the hub end are shorter than the buildings on the town square side. This creates a forced perspective that alters your perception of the length of Main Street. As you walk into the park, you get what appears to be a long, leisurely walk down Main Street, and at the end of the day you get what appears to be a shorter more rapid walk out. Seeing the bigger buildings farther down the street makes it look shorter when viewed from the hub.

I'm not sure if this was intentional, but it works.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

The wonderful trees and foliage behind the buildings on the left side of Main Street looks like they could be a nice park or something in the world of Main Street, but they're actually part of the wilds of the Jungle Cruise. There's just a backstage asphalt walkway and an earthen berm between the two vastly different experiences.

The buildings on the hub end are shorter than the buildings on the town square side. This creates a forced perspective that alters your perception of the length of Main Street. As you walk into the park, you get what appears to be a long, leisurely walk down Main Street, and at the end of the day you get what appears to be a shorter more rapid walk out. Seeing the bigger buildings farther down the street makes it look shorter when viewed from the hub.
    Please do not tell me you just opened up that argument again. For all those who missed out on that lovely debate, this statement has been contested by myself and others. There's some basis for the argument, as there are several large buildings at the start of Main Street, but the overall trends in height are minimal. I don't think there's any real forced perspective going on in the horizontal direction.
    Last edited by Datameister; 05-06-2008 at 11:44 AM.

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I don't think there's any real forced perspective going on in the horizontal direction.
    He is right there is no forced perspective going horizontally.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Main Street was inspired by Walt's hometown in Missouri. Main Street is designed to resemble a early 1900s American town. According to Harper Goff, who worked on Main street with Walt, he showed Walt some photos of his hometown. Walt liked the look, and so many of the features of the town were incorporated into Main Street.

This is a fun and tricky one: There are no rides on Main Street U.S.A.

• =)

This is a fun and tricky one: There are no rides on Main Street U.S.A.
    Even trickier: There are no rides at Disneyland. Only attractions. And there is indeed one of those in Main Street's opera house.

• Semi-Lurker

There used to be a vent emitting various aromas on Main Street, it was located in the Candy Palace, but that effect has not been used for over twenty years. The vents are still there below the window looking into the kitchen, but there is no fan/pump on the other side.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Even trickier: There are no rides at Disneyland. Only attractions. And there is indeed one of those in Main Street's opera house.
    Correction: One--Mr. Toad's Wild RIDE . I suppose one might count BTMRR (since it is referred to as 'the wildest RIDE in the wilderness'), but that seems tenuous at best. Since the Main Street Vehicles used to take tickets (even though only 'A's), they could be counted as attractions as well.

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm not sure if this is a fun fact, but when I'm in town square and look towards the park entrance, you can clearly see TOT on your left and Soarin' on your right.

Does anyone know where the hole is in the ground from park opening when ladies' heels were sinking into the asphalt? I'm not sure if that is actually true.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The Town Square cannons are military 'antiques'--19th century French Army constructs (stereotypically, they have never been fired in battle [it is said] ).

• Dave

Blog Entries

I love just reading all these interesting facts. I love history, and geography so thanks for all the information. I love the fact about how main street was designed. It is probalbly one of my favorite parts about the park.
    Dave

Please do not tell me you just opened up that argument again. For all those who missed out on that lovely debate, this statement has been contested by myself and others. There's some basis for the argument, as there are several large buildings at the start of Main Street, but the overall trends in height are minimal. I don't think there's any real forced perspective going on in the horizontal direction.
    Agreed guys. I think the forced perspective rumor comes from the fact that forced perspective is employed on Main Street USA. Not horizontally as mentioned above, but vertically. The feature film art directors and designers that planned Main Street used tricks of scale to make the buildings appear much taller. By scaling the second story and above of buildings slightly smaller than the first story, a building narrowing toward its top seems to tower much higher than its true height.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast