Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

The Movie-based Attractions That Could Have Been...

While I’m a strong supporter of Disney doing more original attractions, I don’t mind the occasional movie-based one either. Sometimes though, I think the sequences in Disney movies that seem most specifically designed to become theme park attractions never do.

Tarzan got a treehouse walk through (there was at least a treehouse in the movie). I’ve never been to Tarzan’s Treehouse, but I think that Tarzan’s vine surfing would make a great theme for a coaster.

Aladdin got a (now-closed) restaurant, a storytelling spot, a musical and a spinner.

As many others have proposed, I think an attraction where we ride on Aladdin’s magic carpet would be appealing (not a spinner, a ride that actually makes us feel like we’re riding the carpet through the world of Aladdin), though the Cave of Wonders sequence might seem a bit too similar to Indy at DL (angry deity screaming that we’ve done the wrong thing, racing to escape…)

And of course, we all know about the proposed “door vault suspended coaster” for Monster’s Inc. that was replaced by the Superstar Limo overlay taxi ride we know today. (I don’t know if that was ever confirmed as a real plan or was just a rumor, but it sounded like a good idea.)

Instead of one ride themed to Toy Story’s concept of “toys come to life when no-one’s around,” the DLR will soon have two Toy Story rides, each half-themed to that and half-themed to something else entirely (midway games, space battles.)

I picture a Toy Story ride making us feel like we are actually toys, taking us through giant sets of Andy’s Room, Sid’s Room, Pizza Planet, Big Al’s Toy Barn, and/or possibly other giant locales not featured in the movie. The ride vehicle I picture is the RC car that Woody and Buzz use to chase the moving truck in the first movie.

I was thinking that they could have done some kind of “Toyland” – I’m picturing an enclosed pavilion themed to a giant child’s room – and the Winnie-the-Pooh ride could have gone there as well, since those characters are supposed to be stuffed toys come to life. (No, I don't know where this would have gone or whether there's space for it anywhere. This is pure blue sky stuff )
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 05-07-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• I'm not really here

Re: The Movie-based Attractions That Could Have Been...

All excellent ideas! I to hoped that the door vault rumor had become reality. That would have been an intensely awesome ride.

Lately I have started thinking that it would be really cool to use film based rides to take the rider deeper into the story than the movie did. Explore side plots, or whole other locations that were barely touched in the movie.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

I know what you mean. Don't forget the scene with all the conveyor belts at the airport in Toy Story 2, either.

And of course, we all know about the proposed “door vault suspended coaster” for Monster’s Inc. that was replaced by the Superstar Limo overlay taxi ride we know today. (I don’t know if that was ever confirmed as a real plan or was just a rumor, but it sounded like a good idea.)
    They couldn't at DCA, but it's happening in Tokyo.

• Fancy that...

I'd love to see a Narnia ride on the scope of Indy(or the level of awesomeness)

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Me, I would like to see something based on Fantasia. Greatly underappreciated movie everywhere.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

I have always kind of hoped for a Aristocats-style jazz "nightclub". Not really a ride, but I thought it would be fun. A Hercules fighting the titans coaster could have been great fun too.

Wonderful idea for a thread, animagus! I'll be checking back often.

• Monorail Junkie

I would have liked to have seen more of a TRON Lightcycles ride or something from the BLACKHOLE.

I always loved the idea of having a Gummi Bear Quick Tunnels coaster, that would have been amazing.

• Yeti Enthusiast

I've always wondered what an attraction based on "The Sword In The Stone" would be like. It may not be the most popular animated film, but it's practically tailor made for a dark ride.

• jeffrey

A Mary Poppins Merry-Go-Round Horse Race somewhere on Main Street!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by anitajane View Post
    I always loved the idea of having a Gummi Bear Quick Tunnels coaster, that would have been amazing.
    I so wanted that when I was a kid! I wanted it to actually serve as a transportation method too, just like in the cartoon. You'd have one track start in Bear (now Critter) Country and heads to the back end of Fantasyland and vice versa.

It'd be like the cartoon too! Start in the woods and get closer to the medieval castles of the bad guys and ogres. sigh, of course that would be something that would be pretty impossible to attempt now.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I’ve never been to Tarzan’s Treehouse, but I think that Tarzan’s vine surfing would make a great theme for a coaster.

As many others have proposed, I think an attraction where we ride on Aladdin’s magic carpet would be appealing (not a spinner, a ride that actually makes us feel like we’re riding the carpet through the world of Aladdin), though the Cave of Wonders sequence might seem a bit too similar to Indy at DL (angry deity screaming that we’ve done the wrong thing, racing to escape…)

Two ideas I have also envisioned as well! I had a random story arc for the Tarzan coaster so that it could fit into Animal Kingdom (this was prior to Everest) where Sabor, the leopard would take center stage and be the main reason why we're speeding through the trees.

I envisioned one scene where you were in a room and it was pitch black. The use of surround sound would allow you to hear the ruffling of leaves getting closer and all around you until an animatronic would come out of nowhere as you speed off.

And Aladdin... what a great property for an amazing magic carpet ride. They could do this one or two ways: as a Peter Pan type dark ride or a coaster like Space Mountain but with show elements all around you.

Here's a really quick sketch I made months ago (ignore the bad genie drawing) showing the finale of the ride where Genie creates an exit from the cave of wonders. I know that's not movie accurate but it was just a fun thing to picture.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Hello

couldn't they have a ride based on Jungle Book? It's one of my all time favorite movies. I remember when I was three, I'd wake up and eat a bowl of oreo cereal while watching it from my parents' bed. Good times, good times.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    couldn't they have a ride based on Jungle Book? It's one of my all time favorite movies. I remember when I was three, I'd wake up and eat a bowl of oreo cereal while watching it from my parents' bed. Good times, good times.
    Oooh totally! I think I'd love a Jungle Book attraction as big as Pirates and full of musical numbers and amazing animatronics. The climax of the attraction would be Shere Khan with a tail on fire freaking out and as we near the end of the ride, Baloo would beckon for us to stay in the jungle, but of course we the guest need to return to the man village.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I think they should build a theme park based just on the Disney movies, each ride for a movie on the scale of POTC, or at least close. Something like a giant Fantasyland, but immersive environments for each movie, like Beauty, Aladdin, etc. Fantasyland is great, but just think if each dark ride was close to the scale of POTC? Of course they don't have the room in DL, but in another park. If only Disney had the budget of Dubailand, think of what they could do?

• On A Disney World Tour...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I know what you mean. Don't forget the scene with all the conveyor belts at the airport in Toy Story 2, either.

They couldn't at DCA, but it's happening in Tokyo.
    They're talking about implementing the sequence, but very little is known about what the attraction will really be ? Do you know a bit more about the door chase design, that be sweet ?
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast