Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• On Autopilot

Re: Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Winnie The Pooh, Maggie, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo, Who's Next?

Certain characters are okay to put into other park areas, like someone said about Buzz sticking out like a sore thumb in FantasyLand.

I'm against having Woody in frontier land, not that I hate him, but, well, most people can catch my drift.

Only two characters that I disagree with is Nemo in TomorrowLand (atlantis would be cooler) and Pooh in Critter country since he's not as "natural" as say the country bears, which to a little kid look like real flesh and blood beings

• Banned User

Re: Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Winnie The Pooh, Maggie, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo, Who's Next?

Disneyland is NOT a kid's place. It was designed and imagined as a family park. where parents as well as kids can have a good time. I remember when Tarzan was in the works and I was upset then. Not that I didn't like Tarzan but that the Swiss family was loosing a treehouse. Thank Heavens it didn't hapen in florida. as I for one am pixared out. I like the new autopia so don't fool with it for cars. and i DON"T want to see a woody land in frontierland. that's what toontown is for. and they have a bug's land already in DCA. now if they wanted to do something like a woody land in florida and put it at the studios that would be ok with me. They could replace the HISTK play area. and the kids would have something fun to do. cause there isn't alot for kids in mgm. but that's another thread

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Conscience
    Would you object if the Indian village area around RoA was more Pocahontas influenced?
    Yeah. Putting it there would be historically inaccurate. Call me anal, but I THOUGHT Jamestown was in Virginia.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Ok, the petting zoo will be gone, thats good, Buzz in Tomorrowland, Yeah, the only way it could be done, Nightmare before Christmas, ok, it's only seasonal, The only things I guess that only bother me are Tarzan's Treehouse and Winnie the Pooh, I would much rather have Swiss Family Treehouse and Country Bear Playhouse any day of the week.
    That's where I agree with you. Pooh, though in the critter-ish category, would fit a little better in Fantasyland because of the tone of the original story. And Buzz could not really fit otherwise.

One reason why I think the character stuff tends to be moving out of the Fantasyland/Toontown area is space. There just isn't space to expand, which is unfortunate. Another reason is probably some sort of marketing issue. For one thing, Disney for a few years has been trying to grab younger audiences (thanx, Michael ) They want to cater to the children, who'll get theit parents to spend money on them Not to mention we sorta live in a society where we give kids whatever they want. So, marketing or TDA or whoever must feel that this is the weay to get the kids interested.

Part of it is Disney (i.e. Eisner) taking advantage problems in society that can be easily exploited. They just don't believe in edu-tainment anymore. Society wants fun, not knowledge.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• FastPass n00b

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Tomorrowland Terrace (aka Club Buzz) looks like a baby's nursery now. I don't want to see Frontierland, the one land that pays tribute to the pioneering spirit that explored this country, turned into yet another toy theme shoehorned into a realistic area.

Cartoons don't belong in Disneyland outside Fantasyland. And if they don't fit in Fantasyland, then they don't belong in Disneyland, period. There are too many things wrong with using Pixar for inspiration inside the park. WDI needs to start coming up with its own ideas and leave the movies in the theaters.

• Minion

Tarzan fits in Adventureland just fine. You got to remember that he isn't completely a Disney character and that Tarzan's adventures have wowed people for almost 100 years. A treehouse cannot fit in Fantasyland.
    Buzz fits in Tommorowland as a fanciful vision of the future(though I do admit it needs to lose the action figureness it currently possesses and play it straight as a grand adventure of Star Command's finest.)
    I do agree however that Pocahantas and Woody shouldn't really go into Frontierland considering Pocahantas is set in Virginia and with Woody, it's difficult to loose the toyishness.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Tarzan, Jack, Pooh, Maggie, Buzz, Nemo, Who's Next?

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Ok, I know Disneyland is a place for kids and kids love Disney cartoons. But in my opinion, cartoons shoulds stay in Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown. Before 1999, there were no movie toon attractions in Main Street U.S.A., Tomorrowland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country(with the exception of Splash Mountain, but most people dont know it was a film and see the characters as original disneyland characters like country bears or america sings). But since 1999, Adventureland has gotten Tarzan, Frontierland has gotten home on the range, New Orleans Square has gotten seasonal Nightmare before christmas, Critter country has gotten pooh, and tomorrowland has gotten Buzz and Nemo. There are still rumors of adding Woody to frontierland and Cars to Tomorrowland. Im alright with seeing some stores and dining spots themed by Disney characters but as full set attractions, I'd rather not have. I dont know, maybe it's just me, but I for one would like to see them out of these lands and kept in Toontown and Fantasyland. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
    Actually New Orleans had Hook and Smee ever since POTC was being thought up of. You can even see them appear In New Orleans Square on the special Disneyland/POTC segment on the second disc of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. At that clip was filmed when Walt was still alive.

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Conscience
    I kinda agree with the Woody thing - I mean he is a toy. Frontierland to me was exploration of the great outdoors like in the old Western movies. Wouldn't a Woody attraction just reinforce commercial America? Just buy a toy and experience the great American tale?
    I totally agree. I understand that Disneyland will always change and thats as Walt intended. If changes are made though..they should fit into the original theme of the land. Frontierland was themed as the frontierwest so any new attraction should fit that theme.
    Thats another reason why Buzz Lightyear and soon to be Nemo do not fit in Tommorowland. They do not fit into the theme of an exploration of the future.

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    I don't get the debate. It's Disneyland. It is a kids place. What's the big?
    If thats how you feel..then you dont understand why Disneyland was built !!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't see anything wrong with using cartoon characters. The biggest problem I have would be too much cartoon on the outside. I love how Fantasyland has a real look but the insides transform sort of. An example of bad cartoons to me is Tarzan's Treehouse. The cartoonish Tarzan just doesn't look right in the realistic tree. I would eb fine if tarzan looked more realistic.

The idea of Dinseyland being commercialized to sell modern Disney movies really isn't new. Practically every area of the original Disneyland was linked to something else Walt was doing.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Chicken Little and Valient I belive are both disney films that didn't use pixar, but instead used the same look of pixar.... Does that make it bad?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12