Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Tarzan, Jack, Pooh, Maggie, Buzz, Nemo, Who's Next?

Ok, I know Disneyland is a place for kids and kids love Disney cartoons. But in my opinion, cartoons shoulds stay in Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown. Before 1999, there were no movie toon attractions in Main Street U.S.A., Tomorrowland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country(with the exception of Splash Mountain, but most people dont know it was a film and see the characters as original disneyland characters like country bears or america sings). But since 1999, Adventureland has gotten Tarzan, Frontierland has gotten home on the range, New Orleans Square has gotten seasonal Nightmare before christmas, Critter country has gotten pooh, and tomorrowland has gotten Buzz and Nemo. There are still rumors of adding Woody to frontierland and Cars to Tomorrowland. Im alright with seeing some stores and dining spots themed by Disney characters but as full set attractions, I'd rather not have. I dont know, maybe it's just me, but I for one would like to see them out of these lands and kept in Toontown and Fantasyland. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 08-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Sock Puppet

Re: Tarzan, Jack, Pooh, Maggie, Buzz, Nemo, Who's Next?

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    I dont know, maybe it's just me,

your right, it's just you

• Sock Puppet

Re: Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Winnie The Pooh, Maggie, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo, Who's Next?

BTW nice avatar

Re: Tarzan, Jack, Pooh, Maggie, Buzz, Nemo, Who's Next?

I think only one or two character themed rides should be in other lands. Because some movie based rides would never work in Fantaseyland. Take Buzz for example, you have Fantasyland with its European Village look, then you plop in Buzz there, and you would have a science fiction looking building and ride in the middle of there, and it would look terrible. So tomorrowland is the only place to go. As for home on the range in Frontierland, it'll be gone before you know it. The movie was a flop, so when time comes, the theme will be removed, and you'll just have a regular petting zoo. And Jack Skellington is only for the holiday season, so you shouldn't worry about that either.
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

• Minion

Re: Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Winnie The Pooh, Maggie, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo, Who's Next?

You know, I bet you could find some good debates about this using the search feature- I know there was a time where like 3 of these topics were going on at once. As for my opinion, I think it's perfectly fine to have cartoons in other lands, as long as they fit the theme. Buzz in TL? Fine. Pooh in CC? Fine. Nemo, on the other hand, doesn't seem to really fit.

I dont think Pooh fits in CC, he's more fantasy than crittery.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Ok, the petting zoo will be gone, thats good, Buzz in Tomorrowland, Yeah, the only way it could be done, Nightmare before Christmas, ok, it's only seasonal, The only things I guess that only bother me are Tarzan's Treehouse and Winnie the Pooh, I would much rather have Swiss Family Treehouse and Country Bear Playhouse any day of the week. Just please, no Woody in Frontierland, that would mess up the whole Old west frontierish look by mixing it with a cartoonish look, that wouldnt go. And please, no cars renovation, Autopia is fine, we dont need more cartoonish pixar stuff anymore, the left side of Tomorrowland has too much of it already.

• Minion

DL_CRAZE, that's definitely arguable. Pooh is in FL in Tokyo and Florida. I think it depends on what aspect of Pooh you focus on. But I think that the exterior of our Pooh is very suited to Critter Country, and it definitely works for me. It focuses on the fact that Pooh and friends are animals who live in the woods.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Just please, no Woody in Frontierland, that would mess up the whole Old west frontierish look by mixing it with a cartoonish look, that wouldnt go.
    Sheriff Woody & Jessie the Cowgirl are there everyday
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

No, Im talking about the rumored Woody land that is rumored to be set in Big Thunder Ranch.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

It'll be hugely popular. Toy Story IS Disney to most people, the Pixar distinction is secondary. Stop a few mommies & daddies on their way into the DLR w/ the kiddies and ask. Far more people on the planet have experienced a Toy Story film, game, TV show, toy, etc. and would probably be overjoyed at the addition.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I kinda agree with the Woody thing - I mean he is a toy. Frontierland to me was exploration of the great outdoors like in the old Western movies. Wouldn't a Woody attraction just reinforce commercial America? Just buy a toy and experience the great American tale?

If they do build with the Festival area, I pray it won't be a Camp Snoopy replica... We don't want anymore DCA quality rides thanks.

I'm fine with Pooh. I remember Pooh character greetings in CC way before the ride was there and CC desperately needed another ride anyways. Pooh works in fantasyland in other places because they focus on the idea of traveling into a book or a story. The DLR version makes it out to be as if you were already in the Hundred Acre Woods. It's kinda nice. (I do miss Country Bears. Pray for a DCA revival?)

The Tarzan switch was made because children could no longer relate to Swiss Family Robinson.

The one thing you can rely on are the marketability of Disney Characters. It all started with a mouse? Everyone loves Disney, the girls love the Princesses and a good number of boys have become attached to Buzz and Woody. So they give Buzz an attraction and place it where it fits the most.

Would you object if the Indian village area around RoA was more Pocahontas influenced? Probably not since it still fits the frontier experience. (Pocahontas and Meeko used to meet and greet around Thunder Mountain). If they can focus Nemo on the hydrophones and the concept of it being an attraction of science, then it might work nicely. With the limited space, budget, etc - we can't really expect perfect themes anymore (like at Tokyo DisneySea!).

Everyone has opinions on what they want to see. I have faith the new administration that they'll slowly bring back the magic.
    Always let your conscience be your guide. - Jiminy Cricket

• Shubisha

Did someone say "Woody land"?

Swiss family robinson treehouse was based on a movie before tarzan. Splash mountain everyone loves and doesn't care about its movie overlay, nightmare before christmas is a seasonal overlay that people enjoy and the movie wasn't even associated to disney really nor talked about much anymore and now everyone loves it again, winnie the pooh sucks and most everyone dislikes it, buzz lightyear is a good ride and people say this but also are having anti-pixar backlashes, finding nemo isn't out yet but people want their subs back but found the old ride a little boring so aren't really against it...

Frankly it seems to me that as long as the ride is good people don't care that much whether it's movie based or not and I don't have a problem what it's based on either as long as it's good.

• Basking in birthday love

Re: Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Winnie The Pooh, Maggie, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo, Who's Ne

I dont think Pooh fits in CC, he's more fantasy than crittery.
    The rides in Fantasyland are all fairy tales, or stories (like Mr. Toad and Alice) that possess enough of the tropes and qualities of fairy tales to qualify. Pooh is not a fairy tale by any stretch of the imagination.

I've been working in publishing for half my life, and it rather pains me every time I have to go through this. Children's fiction != fantasy. Fantasy is a COMPLETELY SEPARATE GENRE. The integral part of fantasy is the use of some sort of magic; the only magic present in Pooh is a child's imagination, and if you're trying to argue that every attraction with such an inspiration belongs in Fantasyland, you don't have much left for the rest of the park. Each attraction belongs in the land most befitting its genre, regardless of the status of the source material. Tarzan or Jack Skellington in Fantasyland would be beyond ridiculous and completely out-of-place.

And grvtydefy is absolutely right, this is a debate that's been carried on in many a thread.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

I don't get the debate. It's Disneyland. It is a kids place. What's the big?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast