Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• :)

Downfall of Autopia

They other day I visited the park and took a ride on the Autopia!

The queue was very boring, it was just a bunch of switchbacks with a giant teleprompter which gives you the same boring animation from the 80's (completely outdated) While on the ride there we're plenty of dead plants, dirt where grass could easily be places and areas where it looks like cast members or guests have kicked up dirt all over the track or knocked down trees. This was possibly the biggest disapointment of all time, I used to love the Autopia when I was a child, but as an Adult I should still be able to enjoy the attraction as well. The track looked close to destroyed with areas which look like they have used 5 different types of cement to fix something. There are very few props and things to look at while on the ride. There are bridges, lights and poles which looked very run down and the paint was close to gone.

The area of the Autopia is so large and open, why doesn't Disney use this space to their creative advantage and make it in to something great? If you look at Autopia from this Arial photograph it consumes 1/4th of the entire park, It's just sad to see something with so much potential go to such waste!
    http://disney.rocket9.net/images/DL_...Aerial.800.jpg
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 05-09-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Hotlinking

• =)

Re: Downfall of Autopia

I know what you mean, and I agree that it's not the best use of space in its current state. (Keep in mind the animations are not from the 80s, though--they're a product of the Chevron sponsorship, which began in '98, I believe.)

Furthermore, I gotta take issue with your statement that Autopia takes up a quarter of the park. If we look at just the east half, you can see in this maps.live.com aerial photo that it's big, but not that big. Additionally, that space is used in part by not one or two, but three other attractions (subs, monorail, and PeopleMover II when it finally makes it onto the tracks).

• :)

I should have worded this better, by 80's animation, I meant that the Animation which is delivered through that giant Jumbo-Tron screen was available in the 80's and is horribly out-dated for being in the land of the future.

• Collision speed....FULL!

The Autopia redo was done in 2000

• =)

I should have worded this better, by 80's animation, I meant that the Animation which is delivered through that giant Jumbo-Tron screen was available in the 80's and is horribly out-dated for being in the land of the future.
    Ah, okay. I will say, however, that the much smaller effect 2.5D effects in the queue were pretty enjoyable for me the last time I rode, back in the early days of this incarnation of the attraction.

The Autopia redo was done in 2000
    Oh, really? I didn't realize this. I didn't remember it still being under construction after TL '98 opened, but I guess that'd explain some of my memories.

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

I agree. As much as I love Autopia, I would rather have Disney put in a better ride. They should even get new cars, god, when I was there last summer, I couldn't stand the smog smell. It was so bad. I was like in a giant ash tray.

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Agreed. Although Autopia covers a large piece of real estate it is not 1/4 of the park. More like 1/8 and the majority of THAT footprint is on top of the Submarine show building. Regardless the space is certainly not used as well as it could be. Personally I LOATHE Autopia and always have. It's a neutered bumper car ride but kids for some reason just love the crap out of it.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• =)

I was like in a giant ash tray.
    That might have been the adjacent smoking area.

Although Autopia covers a large piece of real estate it is not 1/4 of the park. More like 1/8
    If that!

It would be cool if they put electric cars in.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'd like to see this attraction be given the heave ho.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• whatever

Well if you take out innoventions, which is like taking out nothing, then look at all the creative space they have now!

• =)

Gets even bigger when you add the motor boat cruise area.

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Gets even bigger when you add the motor boat cruise area.
    We almost have ourselves enough space for a whole new land!!!

• Dave

Blog Entries

I have to disagree and agree. First I'm 37 years old and still enjoy the attraction. Is it any suprise kids love Autotopia it is as close as some will come to driving a real car for along time. As far as the smoke I think that's just the smog (not bashing Sol Cal Just a thought). I do agree the landscaping has fallen on hard times and really needs to be upgraded. Here is just an idea I wonder if they could land scape it to better reflect the different environments across the country. An example one reflecting the pacific coast another the great plains and so on.
    One last point, that thing almost always has a long line. The only other two like it are the Gadget Coaster and Peter Pan. Everyone seems to always enjoy themselves.
    If you really want to make use of wasted space how about that area in Toon town were half the area is closed.
    Last edited by bigwavedave; 05-09-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Dave

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Additionally, that space is used in part by not one or two, but three other attractions (subs, monorail, and PeopleMover II when it finally makes it onto the tracks).
    bold/underline:mine

YES!! is this already a universaly accepted thing? ok, ok, off topic

Now on-topic- I think Autopia should either be updated, or completely taken out, because it's a "small" attraction that takes up way too much space.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast