Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autopia Overlay

• "I Break Things"

Autopia Overlay

I really enjoyed the recent Autopia thread, however I felt this post would be a derailment and decided to post it as a concept instead. I know a lot of people feel that Autopia, good or bad, does not really fit well within the theme of Tomorrowland. It seems odd that in a Spaceport you are driving a car with an internal combustion engine through a variety of scenes and freeways. To little kids this is the future, I realize that, but what about this.

Part of the discovery process is to survey and explore the land. No doubt as we progress in technology there will be explorers who will survey various planets. A lot of this can be scanned from the air, or space, but some amount of groundwork will eventually need to take place.

So, theme it around planetary survey and exploration. Design it so the vehicles resemble rovers instead of cartoon cars. Possibly convince Lockheed, Northrup, or Boeing to be the sponsor then build based on their declassified designs for planetary probes. I say build, they would likely need new electric vehicles that would appear to be either solar powered (most rovers) or self propelled in some other fashion. I would imagine 6 wheelers for the most part, with an array of various instruments, switches, and gauges for the explorer in all of us.

The queue could easily be themed as the base camp. Place maps, notes, alien species, spare parts etc. It could be the futuristic version of the Jungle Boathouse, a self sufficient building in a hostile environment.

The actual landscape theme could be extremely varied, from the small outpost you are leaving to the harsh environments you are going through. I would love to see a section of cave exploration, possibly one that replicates going underwater. This also opens up the door for various alien lifeforms... small creatures that add much needed life to a rather dead landscape.

The primary focus would still be driving, but there would be a great deal more eye candy and a far more immersive themed environment. Thoughts?
    Last edited by techskip; 05-11-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Re: Autopia Overlay

I have been wracking my brains for a way to fit Autopia into TL for a long time and this is really creative. I like the idea of it being a survey kind of mission. I'll tell you who would jump at the possibility of sponsoring something like this... NASA. They are always on the lookout for a way to get kids involved and excited about space. Especially now that they have the Moon and Mars on their slate. In fact the kids of today will be the ones NASA will be sending in 12 and 20 years to the Moon and Mars. Lockeed and Northrup-Grumman would be great sponsors as well. And it could be made very high tech, semi-interactive as well as give it a bit of an educational background without even letting people think they are learning. (Which I'm all for in TL).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

My reason for not specifying NASA is that I would not want a "taxpayer money going to waste" campaign if they were involved. At least with Boeing, Northrup, or Lockheed it is a private company known for their designs. It would lend credibility to the attraction, and allow the company good public PR... as well as inspire future designers that would join their workforce! I would love for JPL and NASA to consult though... how much fun would it be to say it was built by a rocket scientist!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Exactly! And that's what they did on Mission: Space. They don't sponsor directly, but their name and stamp of approval are on it as they consulted very heavily. There is HUGE potential for this idea and my head is now racing and full of ideas. Thanks... there goes my day. Gonna be outlining all day now. =D

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

The autopia should be moved to DCA. Nothing says California more than automobiles and it can be worked into the new Carsland. This would open up some space in Tomorrowland for something more tomorrow like.

Me

• Fancy that...

If this you consider a derailment, I must of been really bad

neat idea, It reminds me of a concept I just saw on "Disney and more blogspot" for a "mars rovers" substitution of Autopia in Tokyo, there was some awsome concept art for a new TL(for tokyo)and I think it was probably the best TL design ever...sorry off topic

edit: I don't think that TL is supposed to be a "space port" part of it is, but I'd rather stop making Space themed rides in TL all together

• =)

I think it's a brilliant idea, techskip. Mad props go to you. I want it built now!

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13
    I don't think that TL is supposed to be a "space port" part of it is, but I'd rather stop making Space themed rides in TL all together
    Well, Tomorrowland is barely "supposed" to be anything right now. It's a land about tomorrow. It has no clear, specific thematic purpose. Once it does, I would love for it to be given a spaceport motif, but understand that not every attraction would have to focus on spaceflight. Space stations exist partially for the kind of experimentation that Tomorrowland has sometimes explored. But Tomorrowland needs to know what it is, thematically speaking.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea, techskip. Mad props go to you. I want it built now!

Well, Tomorrowland is barely "supposed" to be anything right now. It's a land about tomorrow. It has no clear, specific thematic purpose. Once it does, I would love for it to be given a spaceport motif, but understand that not every attraction would have to focus on spaceflight. Space stations exist partially for the kind of experimentation that Tomorrowland has sometimes explored. But Tomorrowland needs to know what it is, thematically speaking.
    well, If TL wasn't the crap fest that it is now, I think(In my own opinion, yes) that Tomorrowland should represent more than just Space, It's just one of the Fronteirs(sp) Although I can see how It's a big deal, we already have Star Tours and Space Mountian, Those can be the two Space themed rides, I'd like to see Tomorrowland be more diverse than just "the sci fi land"(although a little Sci fi can't hurt), There's more to the future than Space.

• =)

well, If TL wasn't the crap fest that it is now, I think(In my own opinion, yes) that Tomorrowland should represent more than just Space, It's just one of the Fronteirs(sp) Although I can see how It's a big deal, we already have Star Tours and Space Mountian, Those can be the two Space themed rides....There's more to the future than Space.
    Well, do keep in mind what I said--not every attraction and area of the land would specifically need to be about space. I'm not campaigning to bring back ATIS, but as an example, ATIS could have been themed as a series of experiments with the Mighty Microscope, but happening on a space station. You wouldn't need to be dealing with space directly, but there would be unity with the attractions that do involve space.

All this being said, it's still a matter of personal preference. Sooooo...what unified theme would you like for Tomorrowland? (And what would you like to see happen with Autopia to make it fit that vision?)

I'd like to see Tomorrowland be more diverse than just "the sci fi land"(although a little Sci fi can't hurt)
    Now that is a puzzling statement, since the one thing Tomorrowland always has been and always will be is "the sci-fi land." Check out the definitions of science fiction. Space is sometimes an element in sci-fi stuff, but the term refers to a fictional genre exploring science. Its effects on culture. Bad events surrounding it. Good events surrounding it. Stories that happen in a scientifically-influenced environment. Space need not be involved at all in science fiction. And since Tomorrowland's one unifying concept has always been to show the way science kinda sorta could effect the future, it is "the sci-fi land" at its core.

• Fancy that...

Well, do keep in mind what I said--not every attraction and area of the land would specifically need to be about space. I'm not campaigning to bring back ATIS, but as an example, ATIS could have been themed as a series of experiments with the Mighty Microscope, but happening on a space station. You wouldn't need to be dealing with space directly, but there would be unity with the attractions that do involve space.

All this being said, it's still a matter of personal preference. Sooooo...what unified theme would you like for Tomorrowland? (And what would you like to see happen with Autopia to make it fit that vision?)
    ok, TL (my version) Is a community of the future, (on Earth), This community strives to develpop the latest and greatest technology to progress mankind and discover unseen worlds(space, deep sea, time travel even). TL includes a Space Port. It isn't A Spaceport.

Autopia is reduced in track size to allow more space elsewere in DL,the new Autopia shows off the alternative fuels of the future, (not a select fuel, but just depending on what car you get, you can get a fuel cell, hydrogen, mag-lev? and maybe something made up...) you go through various show buildings and better more futuristic scenes and scenery, and some of the area around Autopia would be opened up to a mini-park to make the drivers feel like they're in an actual city as they see people walk around.

I don't dislike Tech's idea or anything, In fact it sounds really exiting to me, I'd just do it differently if I had my way

Now that is a puzzling statement, since the one thing Tomorrowland always has been and always will be is "the sci-fi land." Check out the definitions of science fiction. Space is sometimes an element in sci-fi stuff, but the term refers to a fictional genre exploring science. Its effects on culture. Bad events surrounding it. Good events surrounding it. Stories that happen in a scientifically-influenced environment. Space need not be involved at all in science fiction. And since Tomorrowland's one unifying concept has always been to show the way science kinda sorta could effect the future, it is "the sci-fi land" at its core.
    very true, cought me on the "sci fi" statement, What I mean is TL should strive to be less fantasized and more like like "a living blueprint of our future" but in the deep sense,I guess TL can never be "un- si fi" i'd just like it to strive to be more "science factual"

• =)

ok, TL (my version) Is a community of the future, (on Earth), This community strives to develpop the latest and greatest technology to progress mankind and discover unseen worlds(space, deep sea, time travel even). TL includes a Space Port. It isn't A Spaceport.
    Mmm, so the southern portion would be the spaceport, and then other areas north of that would be the other futuristic communities? I could buy that, provided there was enough visual unity between the two.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Mmm, so the southern portion would be the spaceport, and then other areas north of that would be the other futuristic communities? I could buy that, provided there was enough visual unity between the two.
    yippe... And don't forget the Electrogrid! I have drawings and stuff but most of them suck so I can only describe the architecture...just know, nothing (except perhaps the Space Mountian facade) would go unchanged

• Minion

ORGOCH: Fer some of us, Cars IS part a the world a Tomorra'!! Heck, when ya comes from Morva--where they ain't even invented electricity--a friggin' Bathroom seems high tech!!

ORWEN: Maybe if they added some Disney characters from the world of Tomorrow it would liven things up and make it all seem more appropriate. Let's see, they could throw in Wall-E, Bolt, The Frog Princess and Rapunzel! How's that for starters?

• Minion

I would totally ride Techskip or Pianoman's versions of Autopia, and both would still have the "you can drive!" aspect that kids love .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Fancy that...

Can I elaborate on my Autopia idea or would that be off topic/derailment? Tech? you ok with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast