• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Jazz music in HM queue??

So, celebrated Mothers Day at the park today and noticed that they added a large speaker blaring out jazz music on the second story of the Haunted Mansion. I don't like it. Not sure when they added it. It wasn't there 2 weeks ago. The music could be heard all the way into the entrance and took away from the overall experience. Anyone else notice this today?

Btw...the CM working the elevator was amazing with his Mother's Day spiel. Something about mothers being directly responsible for all death and stuff. Very morbid but a nice twist to the normal spiel.

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Minion

Re: Jazz music in HM queue??

That speaker has always been there. Every once in a while sound will come out of it, including some sounds from Fantasmic.
    Jeff Wayne

• Shubisha

the speakers are surround speakers for fantasmic, and the jazz band gets pumped through them too. during the holidays they get used for that HMH queue music

• =)

I guess they just added it today, then, since I rode HM twice yesterday--one of the times a half-hour before closing--and there wasn't any music coming from upstairs. While I do love the Dixieland jazz that plays throughout most of NOS, it definitely wouldn't be appropriate to the HM queue.

• Shubisha

I don't think i've ever heard the jazz band going through that set of speakers. A couple of "they're there!" and "ooOOooOoO"s come out of there during the show though. Something probably just got set "incorrectly" as far as what surround channels get that audio.

An easy mistake, given the multitude of channels in the area.

• I'm not really here

We've heard audio coming from there as we have walked past to Splash, but then no audio afterwards. I always assumed it was just an error. And now that mrfantasmic mentions it, there must be a fair number of audio channels going through that whole area. Probably is quite easy to get something crossed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

There was a time when I had heard a jazzy rendition of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah coming out of them. I think a lot of the times its when a wire gets crossed or something like that.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Depending on what time of day it was.. it may have been playing jazz music. Around 5 or 6 Fantasmic tests all of the surround NOS speakers by playing the RoA background music through all of them for about 10 minutes or so.

However, F! does not go on during the week.. so who knows.

• Banned User

The audio tracks would probably be handled with a special computer these days. I think they're computer glitches.

They would have ditched all, or at the very least, almost all of their analog audio systems by now, but who knows exactly how it's done.

Yes, It could be just transmitted to the speakers wirelessly, which could introduce problems with channels, etc.

If it isn't wireless they would probably use something like insulated 1/4" cable, which would make it impossible to mix signals somehow.

• Genteel Amphibian

Are are those the same speakers they use to pipe the HMH queue-music?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
    Are are those the same speakers they use to pipe the HMH queue-music?
    I am assuming so.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

It's not unheard of to get mixed signals to the speakers at times. I have a video somewhere around here of the Haunted Mansion attic with audio from Pirates Load coming through the speakers. It doesn't happen all the time though.

• Troublemaker

Audio in New Orleans Square/Critter Country seems to get mixed up all the time. I have a video of the Wicked Wench -- where the cannons aren't cannon sounds but the very loud hooting of an owl. (I think from Lift 2 of Splash Mountain -- doesn't quite match the timing of other owl audio from that neck of the woods.)

My wife and I reported it to the Cast Members at load, and it was tough to get them to finally understand what was going on... since there were kids around, we were still trying to value the magic. Funny, CM's are great at coming up with good stories to explain breakdowns that we all get, but when the tables are turned... ;-)

• I'm not really here

I know WDW has their audio supplied by IBM blades (possibly HP, but I'm pretty sure it is IBM). I also know that the audio elements are all isolated tracks. Does anyone know if Disneyland is on the same setup? I would assume so as it seems to be the easiest way of doing it (though it may be for precisely this reason that it is different).

If DL is on the same system, then it could come down to random packet loss at a router somewhere as data is transferred from the blade to the speakers around the park.
    Now I'm wondering what kind of redundancy they have built into the system as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter