• Senior Minion

Disneyland around Halloween

My friend and I are possibly planning a trip and we want to go during Halloween time, since neither of us has been there during that time. (all depends on if I get a job - and soon!)
    But we are wondering, what is there to do around Halloween? And I know the kick-off is September 19th from what I have read on here, but when is the best time to go? I've looked at crowd diagrams from various links provided on MC, but want the opinions of others here.
    Anything to do? What to see? What's different on rides.....etc.

Thanks very much and let's hope this idea becomes a reality!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Disneyland around Halloween

A SEARCH for the numerous trip reports from the past two years would probably help you get a good idea, most posted many, many photos as well.
    Good luck with your job hunt!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• =)

You'll see a few minor changes in the decor--the only real major change is the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, which is based on The Nightmare Before Christmas. Some love it...others don't. ::raises hand::

• Senior Minion

I did a search and didn't find too much of what I was expecting or that really answered my questions, as the Disneyland website only goes up until August.

What is Mickey's Halloween Treat and when is it?

What is Woody's round-up?

What's the deal with the giant candy corn?

Is there a good time to go between when they put the decorations up and Halloween?
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

We went last year in october when all the decorations were up. It was during the week and the crowds were very light and the weather was perfect. The decorations are really nice but there isn't anything really different other than the Haunted mansion overlay.

• Senior Minion

The Halloween Treat is a special nightime event at DCA that requires a separate ticket, I haven't been becuase it sounded kind of expensive and like it was mostly for kids. I think the big thing about that is really just wearing costumes to the park.

Overall, there's really not that much going on for Halloween, but it's still a really nice time to visit the park IMO.

I believe that Woody's Round-up would not be there next year. I think it comes in for christmas, and offers reindeer petting, (if I'm not mixing up events in my head,) but it may be gone for good now.

The Candy Corn is just decorations that designates an area where they have some other temporary kids stuff, like I think some Holloween style character meet and greets. Not sure if that area will be under construction by next year, so it could be gone too or moved. You might want to check the DCA project tracker about that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Of course there's always Haunt over at Knotts during October as well

/shameless plug
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Loves Fajita!

We went the last week in September in 2006, and 2007.

I really liked the crowds, decorations, and weather. We did not do the Halloween treat or anything. My daughter really like the characters being in Halloween costumes too.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    A SEARCH for the numerous trip reports from the past two years would probably help you get a good idea, most posted many, many photos as well.
    Here are the press releases for the past two years:

A FAMILY-FRIENDLY HALLOWEEN TRADITION RETURNS AS
    DISNEY’S HALLOWEENTIME BRINGS
    TRICKS & TREATS BACK TO DISNEYLAND RESORT!

Halloween Dreams Come True Beginning Sept. 21
    When Parks and Characters Are Transformed
    For the Autumn Holiday Season
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...27s+treat+2007

Disneyland Resort Press Release

If It’s October, It Must Be Disney’s HalloweenTime! Disneyland Resort to Become Fall Playground for Little Boos & Ghouls of All Ages
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...+press+release

and this link has many of the TRs:
    http://micechat.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2034401
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disney Night Owl

I went in late September for my last trip and loved all the decorations! Plus I agree that the crowds were nice and light (perfect to show that the park has good life to it without there being too many people for long lines and chaos) and the weather was great (not hot or cold). I hope to go again around the same time this year maybe because I liked it so much.

Plus I'm a fan of Haunted Mansion Holiday, but some years have been far better than others with this overlay. Last year was not so great because it felt like it had less in some spots.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    I did a search and didn't find too much of what I was expecting or that really answered my questions, as the Disneyland website only goes up until August.

1. What is Mickey's Halloween Treat and when is it?

2. What is Woody's round-up?

3. What's the deal with the giant candy corn?

4. Is there a good time to go between when they put the decorations up and Halloween?

1. This special paid event has been expanded during the previous 3 years. DL has also expanded the season to included the last part of September. The dates for this years Mickey's Trick or Treat have not been announced yet. BUT you do want to prepurchase tickets asap, and the go on sale, online to Annual Passholders, first.

This event has been expanded each year, because of it's popularity. It was initially just designed as Trick or Treating for kids, BUT there are quite a few adult Disney Fan's who enjoy this as well. There are about a dozen Trick or treat stations throughout DCA, and they do offer a choice of candy or a healthy alternative (small box of raisins, small bag of baby carrots, etc). Some selected attractions were open. There are several meet and great areas throughout DCA with Mickey and pals in their own Halloween costumes. Yes, every adult I saw also had a costume too. Games of the Boardwalk gave candy, and were free. There is also a small Halloween Parade/Show that stops a few times on the Parade route, with a performance at each stop.

2. Big Thunder Ranch and Petting Zoo is all Decorated for Halloween ( and on Nov 1, they do a complete change out of decorations for Christmas) for Halloween they have some Pumpkin people photo opps in the small house. There are some ahort shows outside on the stage with Woody, Jesse, and Bullseye, along with a couple of Hosts, who narrate, sing songs, and play games with the kids, there are also some crafts/coloring pages for kids, too. In if you get hungry, they have some cookie decorating kits, fresh made carmel corn, and usually a couple carts selling some Halloween items. Oh, they also have someone who carves Disney characters on pumkins~ and VERY NICELY DONE!

3. DCA Entry Area turns into Candy Corn Acres. This was a first time in 2007. It's definitely fun to take a look at all the "different kinds of Candy Corn" and how they "grow"! Plus One Giant Candy Corn (with one small bit) Heimlich pops out once in a while and say Hi to the people around. This is on display during the end of Sept and All of October.

For Disneyland, Pumkins appear EVERYWHERE, from the front entry gates, to the "Mickey Floral" display, which is done with pumpkins, instead. All the lamposts on Main Street announce Halloweentime. The Worlds Largest Mickey 'O Lantern is placed where the Christmas tree is display the following months. Jack O'Lanterns are in the windows and ledges all up and down Main Street. and the Hub also has some special Jack O' Lanterns, too. Haunted Mansion is made up for Halloween and Christmas by Jack Skellington.

4. For Mickey's Halloween, they limit the number of tickets, so it doesn't get too crowded. However some of the lines (especially for the princess) where rather long. Dates nearest Halloween and Friday and Saturdays tend to sell out first, But for the most part, all evenings for the event will sell out, so just pick the date you want, and order tickets ASAP.

FOR MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN TREAT ONLY, they don't allow masks that cover your face, and they don't allow Gory Costumes. Adults are allowed to be in costume, and this is the only time Disney Allows adults to wear costumes in DCA. However, if want to go to DL, after your time in DCA, you ARE NOT allowed to wear your costume in DL, so you will need to change to regular clothes, but chances are, If you stay until the close of the party in DCA, you will just want to go back to your hotel room.

Oh, they usually have some special Halloween entertainment on Main Street, The Dapper Dans, have Halloween outfits, and change the lyrics to some of their songs. The DL band also has halloween outfits. There is a Miss Halloween that does a short show on Main Street.

Thanks Aladdin for the great detail and positive post! I have to say that Halloweentime is my favorite season at Disneyland. The decorations are amazing. If you do go, make sure to take the time to look into the various Main Street windows because the jack o'lanterns are themed to their stores and it's really a great touch. The Miss Pumpkin show on Main Street was cute- that performer is very engaging and fun, and if you are a fan of Halloween, it's fun to hear Haloween songs. But best of all, Mickey's Halloween Treat was one of the most fun nights of my life. Alot of people seem to think it's only for kids, but if you like to dress up for Halloween and see really awesome decorations and other people's costumes, you really should go. My boyfriend and I wore Victorian era ghost costumes similar to Haunted Mansion and everyone loved them, we took pictures with dozens of families. And there were adults dressed as the peasant-form princesses, an amazing Ariel with the town dress, several detailed Captain Jacks, and a couple that was the Evil Queen and haunted tree from Snow White (so creative!). It was so much fun just to see what other people dressed up as. My vote is you should absolutely go!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I should mention, for Mickey's Halloween Treat in DCA, even the Cast Members have special colorful costumes. I'm hoping they will continue to add some displays, like what they purchased from Tokoyo DL. And I'm hoping they will continue to add things to Mickey's Halloween Treat and expand the parade.