Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Rawr...

Those are beautiful!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    Those are beautiful!

They really were! And, they really set a mood when walking into Tomorrowland, which was open and filled with movement back then. I always liked that fine art was a part of the future.

• /sigh

I feel awful that I'm the only one that's not in love with this piece. Having formally studied art, I recognize and can appreciate it's thought and spirit, however, the color theory and level of detail was a bit lacking for me. And I agree, that the theme didn't fit well in this land. I don't love the new mural, but the theme and colors are quite a bit more vibrant, better fitting for it's land. But hey, that's just little ol' me.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    I feel awful that I'm the only one that's not in love with this piece. Having formally studied art, I recognize and can appreciate it's thought and spirit, however, the color theory and level of detail was a bit lacking for me. And I agree, that the theme didn't fit well in this land. I don't love the new mural, but the theme and colors are quite a bit more vibrant, better fitting for it's land. But hey, that's just little ol' me.
    oh I agree with what your saying

I do think that for people that enjoy mary blair and such they might have been nice for putting in a museum or something

honestly though it was artwork that was done on the side of a building there isn't a reall efficent way to take it off and simply display it and it didn't match the lands theme at all

as far as the murals go, I like the Star Tours Mural and I would enjoy a Mural that compliments that kind of style on the circlevision

• Magical Memories fanzine

Well actually if you put on yer thinking cap there is a way to make them fit and leave them... you could put just in front of them something that would only let you see them every so many minutes, something like how a venetian blind works; on the "shuttered" blinds you would have one picture, then when they "opened" you could see the mary mural underneath with special spotlighting to really bring it out. Imagine a whole circular mural that changes in a "wave" starting on one end and going from that point all the way around. This way you have the best of the old and the new in one space combined with the kind of kinetic movement that used to really "make" tomorrowland. Wouldnt really cost a lot to do either and you could almost make a actual "show" out of it, with timed music and lighting, perhaps even throw some actual audio qoutes from walt in there about the world of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertail777
    Well actually if you put on yer thinking cap there is a way to make them fit and leave them... you could put just in front of them something that would only let you see them every so many minutes, something like how a venetian blind works; on the "shuttered" blinds you would have one picture, then when they "opened" you could see the mary mural underneath with special spotlighting to really bring it out. Imagine a whole circular mural that changes in a "wave" starting on one end and going from that point all the way around. This way you have the best of the old and the new in one space combined with the kind of kinetic movement that used to really "make" tomorrowland. Wouldnt really cost a lot to do either and you could almost make a actual "show" out of it, with timed music and lighting, perhaps even throw some actual audio qoutes from walt in there about the world of tomorrow.
    I dunno, what you'd end up with would be something that looked futuristic on one side that every so often transforms into something that seems irrelivant and out of place? o_O

no offense but I can't see the murals matching at all, they just arn't futuristic

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia

I like the new mural better than the cartoony one. I must have nver looked up in tomorowland, because I don't even remember it. I had to look at the yesterland site.

• no flash photography...

I've been thinking...LOL...ok, nobody likes inoventions, everybody loves the old historical stuff from the park. It kind of makes since that when they change something, and they will because to grow things need to change, they could put the older model in innoventions. However, they would call it something else. That way there would be a museum for the park that people could go into and see how things used to look. I would to visit somehting like that. They could include some older pictures of the areas they came from.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I dunno, what you'd end up with would be something that looked futuristic on one side that every so often transforms into something that seems irrelivant and out of place? o_O

no offense but I can't see the murals matching at all, they just arn't futuristic
    I have to agree. As a kid I thought the murals were just plain ugly, but as I got older and began to understand the value of history and art as a whole, I realized how important the mural was to Disneyland's heritage. But it STILL doesn't fit anywhere in the modern park except for it's a small world. To be honest with you, I don't know why Disney doesn't make a giant musuem to house all of the artifacts from it's various parts. God knows they enough history and items to do so... They could even take another chunk out of the parking lot!

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Mary Blair mural looks very 1960s.

While I know it's sacriledge among some here to suggest it, I'd rather see it restored at one of the hotels or something. It has very little to do with tomorrowland, although I'll confess it's replacement isn't much more proper.

I always thought the mural was out of place. I want both the star tours mural and the other mural on the other side gone, because they're both out of place. More futuristic decorations and architecture should go there.
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

• Magical Memories fanzine

problem is how do you define the future? blade runner? thats got an 80's feel just like the blair murals feel 60's, certaintly not star wars feels; 70's, no matter how you try to NOT be you are always influenced from the time period you are currently in. The only way to avoid that trap is to use things from the past in combinations that appear new. just like Walt's "mod" tomorrowland did, mod came from past influences, with a slight modern twist. People who look to the future without looking to the past first, deprive themselves of the best possible future because if you dont learn from the past first, then you have no real stable foundation for the future.

Its been already stated that A) they tried to move the murals and they are all but impossible to move B) they are a work of art and probably should not be destroyed being a surviving work of art from a deceased artist who is very important to the history of Disney. So, if you cant move them, and it would be a crime to destroy them, than what exactly are you left with to do?

And to deny that the future will have any relics from the past is ridiculous, In some ways it reinforces the theme of the future by having a connecting point of where we came from; that there is a actual past to this place and this is part of it while we walk in the future.

• Disney Prince

I know it's impossible but huge LCD screens anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer boy
    I always thought the mural was out of place. I want both the star tours mural and the other mural on the other side gone, because they're both out of place. More futuristic decorations and architecture should go there.
    the Star Tours mural is out of place?

i kinda disagree here, if our tomorrowland were still in it's white/silver/blue form the mural would match perfectly and it goes with the attraction so I think it should stay

I do however think that the one over on the circlevision needs to leave it should be replaced by a mural of a Space Station that resembles art for the completed international space station, it could have Buzz's ship docked too it and off in the distance you could see Stitch in the red ship being chased by a dozen police cruisers

of course it could be drawn in a realistic art style and one very similar to the Star Tours mural and the windows of everything would be fogged over so it hints at the characters but doesn't show them. they could also hide a hidden Micky in the stars

as for achutecture, I think that the Star Trader could use a new facade along with Rocket Reds (rocket Reds REALLY needs one the most, I hate it's facade, of course I also think it REALLY needs to stop being a restruant since it's not even close to bathrooms and it should go back to being an attraction, put a resturant in the starcade were the location makes SINCE)

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    I know it's impossible but huge LCD screens anyone?
    LCD technology is hard to get into large format

thats why it took so long for twenty inch LCD displays to come out and why they created plasma displays (even though plasma displays have life on them as their colors will fade with age thanks to them being based on a chemical reaction)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast