Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
  1. #31

    • Disney Prince
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    296
    Actually I have no idea what the difference is between LCD and Plasma displays, I just want the mural to move and be animated

  2. #32

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    Actually I have no idea what the difference is between LCD and Plasma displays, I just want the mural to move and be animated
    projections might be the best for that, they could hide projectors behind beside under and over or across from the murals they could also include only parts of the mural to be animated

    I dunno though video effects don't work well in sunlight now matter how they're projected, so it would be something only seen during the night

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,654
    Forget about the Mary Blair tile murals on the South (Circlevision) side - they're an Ex-Mural. They broke a large percentage of the decorated tiles all to heck when installing the curtain wall on top.

    Somewhere around here I have pictures of the destruction - taken on real 35MM film and printed onto real photo paper, no less. (Film? Whazzat? )

    The sad part is, they hung the current outer mural wall on a curtain wall floated over the old tile murals, and it would have been a simple thing to only break out the field (undecorated) tiles. Then the mural could have been rescued later, when someone might want to spend the money on art conservation it would take to peel them off the wall.

    As it is now, in another 25 years they're going to take that curtain wall down for the next remodel, and annoy yet another generation when they expose what lies in there irreperably destroyed.

    --<< Bruce >>--

  4. #34

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Forget about the Mary Blair tile murals on the South (Circlevision) side - they're an Ex-Mural. They broke a large percentage of the decorated tiles all to heck when installing the curtain wall on top.

    Somewhere around here I have pictures of the destruction - taken on real 35MM film and printed onto real photo paper, no less. (Film? Whazzat? )

    The sad part is, they hung the current outer mural wall on a curtain wall floated over the old tile murals, and it would have been a simple thing to only break out the field (undecorated) tiles. Then the mural could have been rescued later, when someone might want to spend the money on art conservation it would take to peel them off the wall.

    As it is now, in another 25 years they're going to take that curtain wall down for the next remodel, and annoy yet another generation when they expose what lies in there irreperably destroyed.

    --<< Bruce >>--

    I don't think it will annoy the next generation that much

    I don't see those tile arts becoming any more relevent o_o it'll probably be like finding a room full of old 70's furniture in your house, it'll be old and ugly and you'll just toss it out and remodle

  5. #35

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Disney archives

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I've been thinking...LOL...ok, nobody likes inoventions, everybody loves the old historical stuff from the park. It kind of makes since that when they change something, and they will because to grow things need to change, they could put the older model in innoventions. However, they would call it something else. That way there would be a museum for the park that people could go into and see how things used to look. I would to visit somehting like that. They could include some older pictures of the areas they came from.
    Disney has something like this at the Disney archives. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to be a company employee to get in and see it. (I did this past July before TDS were sold.) They had in there not just original merchandise, but one of the first cars from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the young bear in his cub scout uniform from Bear Country Jamboree, and so on. Recently on Disney auctions they started selling the Skyway to Fantasyland gondolas. I realize that they are keeping some of them, lending others to museums, etc. but I love the idea of their own place. That idea is supposed to become a miniature reality for the 50th celebration; however, who knows how detailed it will be. Hopefully the old art will be celebrated and preserved once someone who cares about the future (not just the now) of the company takes charge. Or is that just wishful thinking?

  6. #36

    • Magical Memories fanzine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    170
    I don't think it will annoy the next generation that much

    I don't see those tile arts becoming any more relevent o_o it'll probably be like finding a room full of old 70's furniture in your house, it'll be old and ugly and you'll just toss it out and remodle
    Yep I guess yer right. Just like it wont annoy future generations to raze and destroy all 1990's and year 2000 junk, and probably all the other stuff from previous generations. By then they probably will think nothing of completely uprooting and destroying pirates and HM, after all onwards and upwards progress is the only thing that matters right?

    Ah well, if they do destroy the past, they are doomed to relive it themselves, and they wont even KNOW they are re-living it because they will have nothing left to tell them that. Pretty hilarious in its own sad way. Kinda like all 70's and 80's styles came back and much of the younger generation didnt even know it was copying something that already happened. Not to mention a lot of kids fads now are direct lifts from the 50's... its too darned funny.

  7. #37

    • Gay Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I don't think it will annoy the next generation that much

    I don't see those tile arts becoming any more relevent o_o it'll probably be like finding a room full of old 70's furniture in your house, it'll be old and ugly and you'll just toss it out and remodle
    I'm sorry, but Mid-Century Modern is so incredible hip and collectable at the moment - has been for yoars - and Mary Blair's murals fit into that genre. And, I'm sure some major moment of the 70's or 80's will be "re-discovered" as the hot new collectables. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already. Ask anyone who lives in an Eichler house or, me, who owns a Hollywood Bungalow build in 1927.

    Like I said before, Tomorrowland was all about the hope of the future in 1968 (and before). If you watch the Tomorrowland DVDs, you will find so many things that were full of hope and awe. Mary Blair's murals had that quality in that they were primitive concepts of the future - and very hopeful. It was such a nice addition to TL and really set the tone for including art and beauty in the future.

    Maybe because I've been around and aware since the 1960 - especially for art and culture, but I think it's a crime what they did to those murals. Think of all of the lost artistic treasures or of ones that could've been carelessly distroyed. Sistine Chappel or Last Supper anyone?

  8. #38

    • Waiting for the monorail
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    87
    Just this last week I found a picture I had taken during the TL redo. It was right before the "destruction" of the MB mural. The whole land appeared so open and cheerful compared to now, and then I realized the mural was still up.

    It seemed to fade FL into TL to me and added ambiance.

  9. #39

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I'm sorry, but Mid-Century Modern is so incredible hip and collectable at the moment - has been for yoars - and Mary Blair's murals fit into that genre. And, I'm sure some major moment of the 70's or 80's will be "re-discovered" as the hot new collectables. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already. Ask anyone who lives in an Eichler house or, me, who owns a Hollywood Bungalow build in 1927.

    Like I said before, Tomorrowland was all about the hope of the future in 1968 (and before). If you watch the Tomorrowland DVDs, you will find so many things that were full of hope and awe. Mary Blair's murals had that quality in that they were primitive concepts of the future - and very hopeful. It was such a nice addition to TL and really set the tone for including art and beauty in the future.

    Maybe because I've been around and aware since the 1960 - especially for art and culture, but I think it's a crime what they did to those murals. Think of all of the lost artistic treasures or of ones that could've been carelessly distroyed. Sistine Chappel or Last Supper anyone?
    maybe, but I haven't seen retro future being that popular, the murals just seem to me to be very out of place and I do think the shifting wouldn't work and it would confound people

    it's nice but it's something that resembles Small World just a bit too much, people don't want to see Small World type things in tomorrowland (and then there's those who try to avoid Small World altogether, sometimes they are ambushed though by the Small World clock opening as they try to sneak past into toontown for a bit of Roger Rabbit)

    maybe I'm just not seeing the art as being as great as the Last Supper or anything? I dunno, while I do think Disneyland itself is a work of art and it has many artistic characteristics about it, it is not an art museum and if something becomes dated and out of place it should be moved. Granted they probably should've done more to find some muesum or somthing that would've helped balance out the costs for moving the murals, but art on the sides of walls is something very hard to move and I honestly don't think it belonged anymore (not that I have a problem with the basic ideals of that future, it's just that it's concepts already have a place in It's a Small World and don't feel future esque anymore)

  10. #40

    • That's Hawt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    6,989
    I personally didn't really like the murals, from what I remember of them and the pictures I have seen I don't understand how they fit into the concept of "tomorrowland" they look more like high strung children then rocket rods of the future! I mean, sure, mabye the idea of "world peace" was thought a possibility for the future, but to me, if those murals were still up they would be a constant reminder of how unperfect our world really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s



  11. #41

    • Hero-in-Training
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigertail777
    Yep I guess yer right. Just like it wont annoy future generations to raze and destroy all 1990's and year 2000 junk, and probably all the other stuff from previous generations. By then they probably will think nothing of completely uprooting and destroying pirates and HM, after all onwards and upwards progress is the only thing that matters right?
    Good lord, give us some credit. We're not all the self-destructive, uncaring vikings that you make us out to be. The past couple of generations have already done more harm to the world (and Disneyland) than we or our children can ever hope to accomplish in our lifetimes.

    I was twelve or thirteen when they were wrecking the Circlevision Mary Blair mural (I saw it through a constuction fence during our once-a-year trip) and I remember a gaping hole punched through it and fragments of colored tile scattered all over the ground. At that point I had little sense of aestetics or color scheming, but it hurt like hell to see something that historical and that happy ruined. It certainly doesn't fit into the Tomorrowland scheme, but it they could restore it somehow (and hopefully display it somewhere else), they'd have my vote for the presidency. :o

  12. #42

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    423
    As much as I like hanging on to the look of Tomorrowland '67, it just doesn't make sense to do so anymore.

    Rather, I'd like to see something tightly themed that's relevant for today's vision of the future.

    Unfortunately, I'm not sure today has any particular vision of the future. I mean, after WWII our vision was of home convenience and progress through science and chemistry, and then during the sixties the vision of the future was of space exploration and industrial expansion.

    But what are we, as a nation, looking forward to in this day and age? I honestly don't know. Better cell phones? Better iPods? Better PCs? Not space travel. That's old news and doesn't bring the oohs and aahs it once did. Is there anything we're hopeful for now?
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

  13. #43

    • Hero-in-Training
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    But what are we, as a nation, looking forward to in this day and age? I honestly don't know. Better cell phones? Better iPods? Better PCs? Not space travel. That's old news and doesn't bring the oohs and aahs it once did. Is there anything we're hopeful for now?
    That's exactly why we need Tomorrowland to give us a clear vision of the future. We've lost our goal, and through that our optimism. That's why Tomorrowland '98 became the "future that never was". Even the guys at Disney were at a loss as to what could make our future a bright one.

    And that's exactly what we need to change. Once we have that bright future set up in our minds once again it will bring back optimism. Optimism brings progress, and progress brings more optimism. It will take a little bit of creativity and brainpower, but I think we can find that future.

    Personally, I think we should look towards the realm of quantum physics in the New New New New Tomorrowland. Pocket supercomputers, artificial intelligence, faster-than-light space travel (the lack of which being the reason why nobody's interested in it anymore), teleportation, cosmology...you name it and it's linked to quantum physics.

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    423
    And nanotechnology! Don't forget that! Yeah, and maybe computerized brain implants...

    And I STILL say they should have stuff that hovers. Personal hoverboards. That would be cool. I could get behind that kind of future.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

  15. #45

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    As much as I like hanging on to the look of Tomorrowland '67, it just doesn't make sense to do so anymore.

    Rather, I'd like to see something tightly themed that's relevant for today's vision of the future.

    Unfortunately, I'm not sure today has any particular vision of the future. I mean, after WWII our vision was of home convenience and progress through science and chemistry, and then during the sixties the vision of the future was of space exploration and industrial expansion.

    But what are we, as a nation, looking forward to in this day and age? I honestly don't know. Better cell phones? Better iPods? Better PCs? Not space travel. That's old news and doesn't bring the oohs and aahs it once did. Is there anything we're hopeful for now?
    there are certain things we still look forward too and there are always new ideas to be had

    I suppose this issue is also tied in with the so called death of sci fi

    honestly I and alot of other people believe that Sci Fi isn't dieing, the problem is that people are playing things almost too safe, who wants to dream up an entirly new tomorrow that's exciting because if your right it becomes common and boring and if your wrong it might look rediculous

    the thing is that if you tell a story or create a setting and give some sort of effort that you truly believe in it then in alot of ways it becomes timeless, even Tomorrowland 67 in all it's datedness still felt futuristic in many ways because it believed in it's own story, the same could be said for Star Trek the Next generation as opposed to the new series it told a story and even as it becomes old and dated it is still a great view of the future and many people still love it because it took risks and tried to create a whole new unknown

    I hate this new retro style really I think that if we do start to look forward again we could see a great rebirth of both Sci Fi and Tomorrowland

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Mary Blair at TDL
    By TDLFAN in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. Mary Blair
    By Uzmati in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 01:07 AM
  3. Dec. 12, 2006: Mary Blair Tile Murals
    By Werner Weiss in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 04:04 AM
  4. Did you like, or dislike, the Mary Blair murals at Disneyland? Why?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
  5. Mary Blair Murals in TL still underneath?
    By Kevie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •