Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Mary Blair Murals in TL

After reading Al's update indicating that TL will go back to some of the old paint scheme of more WHITE, less puke-green/gold, I can't help but wonder if it's possible to bring back the Mary Blair mural that lines the opposite wall of Star Tours on the former circle vision building. During a recent visit to TL, I noticed that one of the arches in front of Space Mountain were actually painted back to WHITE.

Merlinjones' photo essay on TL states that the Mary Blair mural tiles actually still survive underneath the current artwork. Since most of the TL '98 elements are being removed, why not remove the new artwork and show Mary Blair's once-proud mural for the 50th?

*keeps fingers crossed*

Afterall, this IS a big part of Disneyland's history. I just watched the Disneyland USA video (again) and was really impressed with the footage shown where Walt walks around WDI with Disneyland's ambassador (Julie Reese?) and talks to some big names like Mary Blair and Marc Davis. If you haven't seen this segment, you really are missing out on some historical footage.
    Disneyland allows me to escape the everyday stresses and routines of a Southern Californian resident.

California Adventure brings me right back to the place I was trying to avoid in the first place.

• e komo mai

That would be neat to see. However, I think it would be a major undertaking to remove the new and revive the old murals. Who knows? Maybe they could do it.

• Santa Barbara, CA

The mural on the Star Tours side is gone. i was there and got a chunk of it when they were demoing. Not sure how much they saved on the other side.

I loved the white tomorrowland and thought it was so hip. The best part is the rising coke terrace stage when it was un ornamented and sleek. the viewmaster series is the best way to experience all of this. Funny how the tomorrowland they ripped out is a far better example of the future that never was than the neo moderne thing we have now. It's unsettling when something is neither fish nor fowl.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    While the remains of the Mary Blair murals are under the new tomorrowland painted murals, I understand that they have been seriously damaged. There is also the problem of color scheme and vision. Mary Blair's style was very much a period of a specific time (think Small World facade or Contemporary Resort mural). I don't know if they translate well to a modern audience who isn't familliar with that time period. While I would LOVE to see the murals come back (Blair was a true artist), I'm not sure that they would help make this a TOMORROWland again. It would be more like a museum version of what Tomorrowland was. Does that make sense?
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Baybeh!

I'd love to see it, but I really don't think it'll happen......

• Minion

As it looked to me, the Star Tours mural was severly damaged (yet an attempt should still be made to restore it one day soon) - - but the CircleVision side mural had a metal frame built OVER it in way that would not harm the tiles - - That one should be easier to uncover, if desired.

I hope they do try... this is true art, not just cheap decor.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    While the remains of the Mary Blair murals are under the new tomorrowland painted murals, I understand that they have been seriously damaged. There is also the problem of color scheme and vision. Mary Blair's style was very much a period of a specific time (think Small World facade or Contemporary Resort mural). I don't know if they translate well to a modern audience who isn't familliar with that time period. While I would LOVE to see the murals come back (Blair was a true artist), I'm not sure that they would help make this a TOMORROWland again. It would be more like a museum version of what Tomorrowland was. Does that make sense?
    I totally have to agree with you on that one Dusty. The murals deserve to be in a musuem where people can admire their artistry. I don't think that the murals would "fit in" with a new tomorrowland. Even as a kid, they reminded me of my parents ugly brown furniture from the 70s...

And I think I may be the ONLY one in the world to admit it, but I kinda like the color scheme in TL... But I do like Space Mountain being White!

• Banned User

Star Tour's mural was destroyed to build the Star tours one.... The other one was saved and is sitting under the current mural... (or so i was told..)

• Luckiest Man Alive!

I was there when construction workers were assembling the metal frame over the CircleVision mural and unfortunately, they had to drill anchor points through the tiles. So, they are mostly intact, but there are a large percentage that of tiles that are ruined. I talked to an Imagineer about the work and he mentioned that they did try to save the mural, but that the tiles had been bonded on to the wall so well, that they couldn't be removed without breaking them.
    Robert

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    I hope they do try... this is true art, not just cheap decor.
    I couldn't agree with you more! Mary Blair's artistic contrubution to Disney should be preserved and celebrated. I think those murals are timeless, one is gone from what I understand, but one can be restored to it's former glory. I hope that is part of the Tomorrowland restoration plans.

• e komo mai

I love Mary Blair. I was reading her book over at iSm's pad. She was truly talented.

This is the one thing I truly missed about the old Tomarrowland. I saw pics somewhere (it might have been on that Adventures thru Inner Space tribute site) that showed the damage that was done to the murals, and it broke my heart. Unless they plan a major restoration project, the murals are ruined and probably aren't coming back :-(

EDIT: Found it!! http://www.themightymicroscope.com/odds-ends.htm
    Go towards the middle of the page, and there's a mini blurb about it. Doesn't it break your heart?
    Last edited by niki0619; 02-17-2005 at 01:15 PM.

I'm not actualy too saddend by this

while it was art, it really didn't ever match the theme or if it did it hasn't in a very very long time

maybe if they were next to Small World but they don't match the theme of tomorrowland at all

• Rawr...

Anyone hve pics of the murals? I'd like to see them!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    Anyone hve pics of the murals? I'd like to see them!
    Yes at Yesterland.com

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast