Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Are There Parts of Disneyland Where You Are Embarrassed to Take Guests?

When I'm with people at Disneyland I'll show them everything, making sure they see all the detail and stories behind the park. DCA I tend to rush through because it's not the same and the rides are what make that place interesting.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by maximmom View Post
    Wow - based on the video, can't say I missed much and we do like Monster, Inc.
    I hate to make the comparison but Superstar Limo was truly like a car wreck. You were appalled at the first sight but had to keep looking to make sure this disaster really happened.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I have some very critical friends and associates, so I kind of feel like my reputation is dependent on them enjoying themselves and appreciating the place, especially since I am usually the person who insists that they visit Disneyland...
    How does the condition of Disneyland reflect on you?

Do they say things like "This place better rock, or we're holding YOU personally responsible."

• no flash photography...

nope, can't say that I have tried to keep the people I bring to DL away from any part of it. Why would I be embarrassed anyway? It's not my park. I don't upkeep it or make decisions for it. There is absolutely nothing there that would or should cause me to be embarrassed.

• DL Nerd

It seems like people are referring to things that they don't like instead of things they are embarrassed about.
    I don't think there is much @ the DLR to be embarrassed about.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How does the condition of Disneyland reflect on you?

Do they say things like "This place better rock, or we're holding YOU personally responsible."
    There are a whole slew of people in this world who think Disneyland is beneath them. And, it's unfortunate when current Disney management confirms these suspicions. Superstar Limo is a great case in point.

Whenever I recommend something to someone, I prefer to believe in it wholeheartedly, instead of having to issue caveats and excuses regarding the parts of it that fail to make a positive impression.

In my experience, the people who have never been to Disneyland and those who haven't visited in quite a while detect, and comment on, those flaws instantly. These people are usually the most perceptive. And, while their overall impression may be favorable, they are also quite aware of the problems and the failings.

OMG that SSL video was actually better than the ride. Actually riding through that was quite an unbelievable experience.

• I'm not really here

Prag... my experience has been the exact opposite. People I have taken who have never been, or haven't been in a while have been significantly more forgiving of mistakes and missteps. They don't notice the problems simply because they aren't there enough to know that it could be/was any other way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

In my experience, the people who have never been to Disneyland and those who haven't visited in quite a while detect, and comment on, those flaws instantly. These people are usually the most perceptive. And, while their overall impression may be favorable, they are also quite aware of the problems and the failings.
    I have not experienced that at all. The newbies I take are usually just so happy and excited to be there they only see the good. I don't bother taking people who view the park as beneath them though. there would be no point, because they will find reasons not to like it regardless. My Bf does not want to go. he feels it's for kids. He has never been with me and I don't press the point, because if I do take him he will have a bad time, because he already has a negative view of Disneyland.

He went once when he was about 8. This was in the 60's. The only thing he talks about from that trip was how much he loved the Beverly hills hotel and the pool there. They are from NY and they did everything while out here. DL, Knotts, Olvera street, chins town, but all he remembers enjoying was the hotel and pool. Even in letters he wrote from the hotel he never mentioned DL.

DL is not for everyone.

• Triple Goddess

This is so sad to me. What can possibly be embarrassing about taking someone to Disneyland? If you are with people who are looking for flaws, I wouldn't bother bringing them. Maybe I'm wrong, but most people go to Disneyland to have fun, not look for flaws. As a Disney fan, I am always hoping that Disney will keep growing and making new attractions. I, too, am guilty of knowing when something isn't up to Disney standards, but I'll be darned if I point it out and ruin it for someone else, who is only looking for the enjoyment of the thing. I would hope that if you are bringing someone to Disneyland, it would be an occasion to look forward to and hope that you and your guests enjoy Disneyland as much as I do.

Not everyone is like the people who participate in these forums. Many don't have any emotional investment in Disney, so they approach it with greater objectivity.

• I'm not really here

Those are the people I'm talking about. People who have never been, and don't even own Disney animated movies. People with no vested interest whatsoever that I convinced to give it a try. While I sat there noticing several instances of bad show, or bad theme, etc, these people hadn't got a clue because it was so much more than a normal theme park and they had no experience with Disney and as such, nothing to compare standards with.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• a wind to shake the stars

No, that's silly.

Not everyone is like the people who participate in these forums. Many don't have any emotional investment in Disney, so they approach it with greater objectivity.
    like I said...I have not experienced that from newbies who truly want to go. The most critical people I have ever come across are on these boards...not the newbie who really wants to go to DL and is not being "made" to go when they don't really want to....becasue as you said, "dl is beneath them".

• a wind to shake the stars

You know, in my experience I would say this is entirely and utterly false. Of the people I've taken to the parks who didn't have "any emotional investment" most of them have huge "how on earth did they do that" grins on their faces.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that casual visitors to Disneyland have as critical an eye as any poster on this board. If you've read my posts you know I'm not very critical of perceived "flaws" at the park but I come off like a nitpicker when I'm at DL with a friend who isn't as nerdy about it as I am.

There are people who think DL is beneath them, and so maybe they shouldn't go to the park to begin with? I don't think those people are going to be convinced that the parks are amazing if you steer them away from Winnie the Pooh. Maybe try going with people who are truly excited about visiting the parks, however infrequently?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast