Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Are There Parts of Disneyland Where You Are Embarrassed to Take Guests?

There are 2 kinds of Disney people that I have went with for the first times. Those that don't know much about Disney: These kinds are the best because they truly appreciate a well themed park that has history. The other type is those that haven't gone because they won't like it. When you go to a park with the assumption you won't like it, chances are you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I'm STILL looking for the hidden Mickey in this pic. *squints*

• Triple Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    There are 2 kinds of Disney people that I have went with for the first times. Those that don't know much about Disney: These kinds are the best because they truly appreciate a well themed park that has history. The other type is those that haven't gone because they won't like it. When you go to a park with the assumption you won't like it, chances are you won't.
    I agree with you aashee. if you go into something thinking you won' t like it or with a negative attititude, than you probably won't enjoy it.

There are people who regularly think critically and people who don't. This notion that all people turn their brains off as they pass through the turnstiles is a myth.

• Triple Goddess

thinking critically is one thing. that kind of thinking is what makes things better. but negative thinking is different. if the kind of people we're talking about have already decided that they are above DL, than I don't think we can change their minds. they will probably find something "embarassing" in everything you show them.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    There are people who regularly think critically and people who don't. This notion that all people turn their brains off as they pass through the turnstiles is a myth.
    nobody said they turn there brains off. It seems you're now saying if people don't notice all the flaws they aren't using their brains. ridiculous! but if that's the only thing you have to make your point go for it.

I will agree to disagree at this point.....since your not open to any other view than your own...even when your in the minority at this point.

• Triple Goddess

I think we may have to accept that (Gasp!!!) there are people who do not like Disney for whatever reason. So be it. Share DL with people who will enjoy it, not be critical of it, just to be critical of it. Sure, there are flaws, but so what? There are WAAAAAY too many wonderful things to ruin it by criticizing the few things that some may percieve to be embarassing. If you fear that you cannot take people to certain attractions because you fear embarassment, then maybe these aren't people who should go to DL.

• Unhelpful User

This notion that all people turn their brains off as they pass through the turnstiles is a myth.
    if you really believe this then I wonder if we're going to the same Disneyland

• Brand new CM!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I avoid taking female friends into the men's restroom. Other than that, no.

I Donald Duck!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Are There Parts of Disneyland Where You Are Embarrassed to Take Guests?

...Whenever I recommend something to someone, I prefer to believe in it wholeheartedly, instead of having to issue caveats and excuses regarding the parts of it that fail to make a positive impression....
    I don't get it. I believe you've said you haven't visited yourself in years.

But you think other people need to go. But they need to know all the things wrong with it before they go...

Why do you put all that on them? What ever happened to the Happiest Place on Earth ?

Walt Disney planned it to be pretty much self-accessible, you can discover it on your own and form your own conclusions. You don't really need a lengthy diatriabe from a member of our Disney Nerd Emporium to tell you what to like and see and what not to.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coopercaseycody View Post
    This is so sad to me. What can possibly be embarrassing about taking someone to Disneyland? If you are with people who are looking for flaws, I wouldn't bother bringing them.
    Prag: When was the last time you went with?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that's the Opera House Mens Room, behind the Bank.
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura27 View Post
    I'm STILL looking for the hidden Mickey in this pic. *squints*
    LOL!

try harder. there's three of them.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I think the point many have made and that you are missing is that whether or not you are a "critical thinker" it is very possible (and for most very normal) to at the least tone down, if not completely disengage that tendency when going to a theme park to have fun with family and friends. I don't recall anyone saying "ALL PEOPLE" turn off their brains when going through the gates so your statement seems wasted. One does not have to turn off their brain in order to go someplace and simply enjoy it with out picking it apart.

You're statement seems to indicate that to truely enjoy DLR one has to be brainless (turn it off). The only other alternative you give to that is to go to the park with a critical visual/mental fine tooth comb.

As a more fanatical DLR enthusiast I do have some personal likes and dislikes about the resort. But I don't need to project those on any guests that join me in visiting it, especially if they are not disney "fanatics" like me and are just going for the fun of it. As I said, my friends make their own observations and form their own opinions, and they don't hold me responsible if they find things in the resort that they dislike, even if it is something I enjoy and recommended...that's called a difference of opinion, which real friends deal with just fine.

I have brought 6 different people to disneyland for the first time including 2 people that were visiting from other countries and the reaction has always been extremely positive. It is a place that you can't help but have fun, especially if it is your first time taking it all in. They definitely don't notice some of the flaws that I might see.

I just don't understand how anyone could be embarrassed by parts of the park. Through the eyes of someone that has never been there the flaws are just part of the experience. Nothing is ever perfect. There are always going to be people that aren't into it for one reason or another and those are the people that you just don't bring. It is just a matter of knowing your audience. I have a friend that thinks the park is just for kids or to bring your kids to and can't understand why I like it so much. Obviously he isn't someone that we ask to come with us. But on the one occasion that his girlfriend convinced him to go even he had fun while at the park.

I avoid showing my friends this website because of Prag... Does that count for anything?
    Paid Disneyland Poster

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast