Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Are There Parts of Disneyland Where You Are Embarrassed to Take Guests?

We've all brought guests to Disneyland who are not as familiar with the place as we are. And, during these visits, I've found myself trying to steer the rest of my party away from Disneyland's more embarrassing areas and attractions.

Have you had the same experience, yourself, and, if so, which areas and attractions do you avoid for the benefit of your guests?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Are There Parts of Disneyland Where You Are Embarrassed to Take Guests?

I skip over attractions like Aladdin's Oasis, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's Toon Town (except for Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin), Autopia, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Innoventions, Big Thunder Ranch (petting zoo).

There generally aren't any areas in particular that I intentionally skip over, though. DCA is another story altogether though.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• =)

Depends on who the person is, but for obvious reasons, I think it's a good idea to slowly work the thrill junkies into the Disneyland way of doing things--start with Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, then start scaling it back to stuff like HM and Pirates. Don't want to hit 'em over the head with too much theme.

I tend to avoid Fantasyland and Toontown a fair amount, though my appreciation for the former has certainly increased.

• Shablagoo!

I avoid taking female friends into the men's restroom. Other than that, no.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Depends on who the person is, but for obvious reasons, I think it's a good idea to slowly work the thrill junkies into the Disneyland way of doing things--start with Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, then start scaling it back to stuff like HM and Pirates. Don't want to hit 'em over the head with too much theme.

I would probably skip over Toontown. The rest depends on how the person reacts to the attractions that they have been that day.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I avoid taking female friends into the men's restroom. Other than that, no.
    That's about it for me too. And vice versa.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

I would probably skip over Toontown. The rest depends on how the person reacts to the attractions that they have been that day.
    Yeah, probably not the best place for someone whose idea of a good time is riding Superman at Six Flags as many times as they can without losing not only their lunch, but breakfast as well. Goodness, I prefer what Disneyland has to offer...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Yeah, probably not the best place for someone whose idea of a good time is riding Superman at Six Flags as many times as they can without losing not only their lunch, but breakfast as well. Goodness, I prefer what Disneyland has to offer...
    I second the motion!

I have some very critical friends and associates, so I kind of feel like my reputation is dependent on them enjoying themselves and appreciating the place, especially since I am usually the person who insists that they visit Disneyland.

The parts of Disneyland that don't really help, in my opinion, include: Winnie the Pooh; most of the Northeast area of Disneyland; everything between California Screamin' and Golden Dreams; Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown in the daytime when they are overrun with children and strollers; Honey, I Shrunk the Audience; the Starcade; Princess Fantasy Faire; Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters; Innoventions, and, Gadget's Go-Coaster.

If the Disneyland Railroad was not as important and interesting to me, the new narration would be grating enough to keep me away from that attraction, as well.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-14-2008 at 04:46 AM.

• Shubisha

most of the Northeast area of Disneyland
    yeah i generally try and avoid the motorboat cruise area and behind the parade gates when I give tours too =P

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Kind of odd, I show people everything.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

yeah, the crapper if there girls.

otherwise im happy to show people the whole park.

wet floor... ewwwww......

yeah I take photos of empty DL bathrooms! Jealous?
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I wouldn't say I'm embarrased to not take people into certain areas, but I do avoid certain areas based on what I know about the person.

On the flip side of this issue in March I took my nephews from Texas, ages 17 and 14. They hadn't been there since they were little. I really wanted to take them on some Fantasyland dark rides becuase when you get down to it that's the essence of Disneyland, but at their ages they had no interest. But I bit my tongue and didn't complain -- I'd rather make sure they were happy than getting into some petty argument. We had a great time. Rode indy and Space both twice -- understandable that I had teenagers with me.

• I'm not really here

In all honesty and seriousness, I don't really avoid any part of the park for any reason. It is a part of Disneyland, and just like any person, it has it's flaws, but they make it what it is. They are a part of the history and heritage that we so love. Even the worst at Disneyland is often times so much better than anything a person I'm taking for the first time has ever been on.

I won't force them to do something they don't want to, but I will show them and let them make up their own mind. But I won't hide a part of the park no matter what. Loving Disneyland means taking the good with the bad and I've often found that when trying to convince people who just haven't gotten it before to love Disney as well, that showing them the good, the bad and the ugly really shows them just how much I love the park and value it myself.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

While it would be a mischaracterization to call it 'embarrassment', I do avoid: ToonTown, HISTA, Innoventions, Aladdin, Pooh, Jedi Training Academy, Autopia, and Tarzan's Treehouse. They are uninspiring to me and hold little entertainment value.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast