Page 100 of 135 FirstFirst ... 507590979899100101102103110125 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2012

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Great pictures HBG. He does need to go back to his original resting place.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

I might be looking WAY too much into this but did anyone else notice that the picture frames behind him look just like the ones for the Ambrose and Frank portraits?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Actually, its the band from NBC in the window, not Lock, Shock, and Barrel.

I posted a thread a while back if anybody had any pictures of them, but I didn't seem to get any help at all....
    *cough*checkagain*cough*

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I might be looking WAY too much into this but did anyone else notice that the picture frames behind him look just like the ones for the Ambrose and Frank portraits?
    That's quite a stretch. But fwiw, the big bass fiddle corresponds to what you see in the scale model:

• =)

And FWIW, "double bass" is a more standard term than "bass fiddle."

I just got to correct HBG2 on something!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    And FWIW, "double bass" is a more standard term than "bass fiddle."

I just got to correct HBG2 on something!
    Yeah, but bass fiddle was a popular term in the '20s, '30s and '40s. It's a cute colloquialism.

Edit: Upright bass, string bass and just plain bass are also standard terms these days.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    *cough*checkagain*cough*

Hey, thanks for the pictures!

Woot! 100 pages so far!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Upright bass, string bass and just plain bass are also standard terms these days.
    Not so much in orchestral contexts, but yes.

That's quite a stretch.
    It's much more obscure than the Lafitte thing but you know Imagineers being Imagineers the possibility that they saw this drawing is not totally impossible or it is an interesting coincidence.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Question Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Alright, the upright bass has to be there for a reason - Speculation?

I'll say they hid the lighting fixture(s) in or behind it for backlighting the ghost somehow, for either the normal or "I'm holding my head in the box" part. Which might be part of the reason they got rid of the effect.

If the lamp burns out constantly, or a projection constantly goes out of alignment - or vibrations and reflections make it obvious it's a projection...

That, or they used the upright bass to hide the edge of the glass of a horizontal Peppers Ghost, or to block sightlines into the reflection chest when you got past him on the ride.

I've built an Electric Chair PG for a walk-through (NHJC Factory of Nightmares), and we had to restrict the guest movement so they couldn't come too far forward or off to one side and see how it was done. We had to work with recycled materials (old sliding patio doors) that restricted our working area a lot. (Oh, and if you really want to sell it, enlist the SFX - use a smoke machine. )

The Vertical setup of the HM Ballroom is a lot easier in that aspect, with the figures above and below the viewer can move sideways all they want without seeing the gag, and vertical movement is restricted by the Doombuggy.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    or to block sightlines into the reflection chest when you got past him on the ride.
    What reflection chest?

• =)

Inconspicuously restricting viewers' motion for Pepper's Ghost is certainly an interesting challenge. That's not to say I have much of any practical experience with it, but I've at least given it some thought.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Alright, the upright bass has to be there for a reason - Speculation?

I'll say they hid the lighting fixture(s) in or behind it for backlighting the ghost somehow, for either the normal or "I'm holding my head in the box" part. Which might be part of the reason they got rid of the effect.

If the lamp burns out constantly, or a projection constantly goes out of alignment - or vibrations and reflections make it obvious it's a projection...

That, or they used the upright bass to hide the edge of the glass of a horizontal Peppers Ghost, or to block sightlines into the reflection chest when you got past him on the ride.

I've built an Electric Chair PG for a walk-through (NHJC Factory of Nightmares), and we had to restrict the guest movement so they couldn't come too far forward or off to one side and see how it was done. We had to work with recycled materials (old sliding patio doors) that restricted our working area a lot. (Oh, and if you really want to sell it, enlist the SFX - use a smoke machine. )

The Vertical setup of the HM Ballroom is a lot easier in that aspect, with the figures above and below the viewer can move sideways all they want without seeing the gag, and vertical movement is restricted by the Doombuggy.
    Point by point. I don't have any evidence that there actually WAS a double bass over by the HBG, despite the model. The one photo we have of Hatty in situ doesn't show one.

There HAS been a bass in the attic for years, however. Currently, it's at the left side of the Frank tableau:

(Incidentally, you can see that the Frank picture frame isn't much like the one in the Campbell illustration.)

Before the Connie attic, that bass was over by the first window, to the right of the piano:

But I can't trace it back very far, only to about 2000.

As for all that business about backlighting and Pepper's, none of that would have been relevant to the original HBG effect. There was no Pepper's involved, and the gag was achieved entirely through front lighting (and a small light within the hatbox).

As for restricting approach to a Pepper's effect, remember that you are in a doombuggy! That's total control.

We did our garage haunted house Pepper's effect with an old patio door at a 45 degree angle (i.e., reflecting off to the side), and kept folks from getting close enough to cause problems by making them peer through a window opening to see the effect, and there was no leaning over through the window opening because we put a bulky piece of furniture in front of it. Worked just fine.

Point by point. I don't have any evidence that there actually WAS a double bass over by the HBG, despite the model. The one photo we have of Hatty in situ doesn't show one.

There HAS been a bass in the attic for years, however. Currently, it's at the left side of the Frank tableau:

(Incidentally, you can see that the Frank picture frame isn't much like the one in the Campbell illustration.)

Before the Connie attic, that bass was over by the first window, to the right of the piano:

But I can't trace it back very far, only to about 2000.

As for all that business about backlighting and Pepper's, none of that would have been relevant to the original HBG effect. There was no Pepper's involved, and the gag was achieved entirely through front lighting (and a small light within the hatbox).

As for restricting approach to a Pepper's effect, remember that you are in a doombuggy! That's total control.

We did our garage haunted house Pepper's effect with an old patio door at a 45 degree angle (i.e., reflecting off to the side), and kept folks from getting close enough to cause problems by making them peer through a window opening to see the effect, and there was no leaning over through the window opening because we put a bulky piece of furniture in front of it. Worked just fine.
    OK' You busted my picture frame theory. I remember reading in the Surrell book that the instruments in the Attic related to the musicians in the graveyard. I don't follow the logic.
    Last edited by HMF; 11-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I remember reading in the Surrell book that the instruments in the Attic related to the musicians in the graveyard. I don't follow the logic.
    Huh...I don't remember that.