Page 102 of 135 FirstFirst ... 252779299100101102103104105112127 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2012
  1. #1516

    • The Ghost Relations Dept.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    The doombuggies can somewhat be "reprogrammed" like Bruce said. For the rehab of the WDW HM, the doombuggies now face the portraits on the right wall in the old Sinister 11 Hall and turn a little towards the bride now.

    However, its not that hard apparently to do your own reprogramming. If you rock back and forth enough, you will break the linkage to the track and your entire buggy will turn freely. I don't suggest this though. When it gets to the Unload area, it automatically stops the ride and they have to take the mansion down for a few hours to fix it.

  2. #1517

    • now that i see you ♥
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    However, its not that hard apparently to do your own reprogramming. If you rock back and forth enough, you will break the linkage to the track and your entire buggy will turn freely. I don't suggest this though. When it gets to the Unload area, it automatically stops the ride and they have to take the mansion down for a few hours to fix it.
    I love that you tell us how and then say why we shouldn't do it. I have personally taken part in "breaking" POTC on one occasion with the Fluffies (Bassy, do you remember how amazingly awesome that was?? With the boat that was quite literally flooded??) and I have felt very little guilt about that.

    ....Ok that's not true. I feel really bad about it. I might've personally completely ruined someone's life forever--like they were there for a week for the first (and probably the last) time in decades, and they put off going on POTC until the last day to savor it because it is their favorite ride....Then they get in line, go all the way up through the line, are about to board and then.....the ride breaks down because of us Fluffies and they leave without ever experiencing their favorite ride. Then they die in a car crash on the drive home when they fall asleep behind the wheel because they needed to get back to Seattle by the next morning so they can have a nap before work and get to work on time otherwise they'd lose their job and they already lost a few jobs that year and they NEEDED to keep THAT ONE otherwise the courts would take away visitation rights for his son and that would devistate him. And he died without going on his favorite ride.
    ...I digress, but I could've ruined a vacation at least. Which sucks too.
    EDIT: In my half sleep while writing this last night, I neglected to say that the breaking of POTC was a side effect of the Fluffy ride. It was unintentional....really. And I really do feel bad about that, despite the farce I wrote above.
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 11-11-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: clarity is a good thing, folks
    dreams. come. true.

  3. #1518

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Messing with a ride for your own amusement is disgusting. Yes, there are other people besides you in the world, and some of them have been waiting in line a long time. As for GRD, please keep info like that to yourself. You just know some jerk will do it and shut down the ride for hours.

  4. #1519

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Messing with a ride for your own amusement is disgusting. Yes, there are other people besides you in the world, and some of them have been waiting in line a long time. As for GRD, please keep info like that to yourself. You just know some jerk will do it and shut down the ride for hours.
    Dude, this thread is for super-geeky information about the Haunted Mansion. I'd say that qualifies. I'm not gonna do it. Most of the thread regulars aren't going to do it. It's an important piece of information about how the ride operates. You're in no position to order GRD to do anything.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  5. #1520

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    That's "important" information?
    By the way, dude, I didnt order him, I asked him. And who cares if "most" people don't do it? All it takes is one jerk to screw things up for everyone else.

  6. #1521

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,533

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Oh, and speaking of super-geeky (as he deftly and diplomatically changes the subject)...

    This is one of those mega-posts where the journey may be more enjoyable than the payoff.

    One of the pleasures of poring over Rolly Crump's Museum of the Weird artwork is noticing the blend of pure phantasmagoria on the one hand, and established, well-worn symbols on the other. Rolly pulls stuff out of his fertile imagination that no one has ever seen or imagined, and mixes it up with iconography you HAVE seen, or think you've seen, or looks sorta familiar. Alchemical, occultic, oriental, and religious symbols peek out from all over the place, like so many gargoyles on a cathedral façade.



    The only common denominator is that it all evokes a sense of eerie oddness, a weird blend of the unknown and the (somehow) familiar.

    Now and then you discover that you've confused the two categories. Something you had put down to Mr. Crump's wild imagination turns out to be a medieval alchemical symbol. Or something.




    Precious little of this dynamic made it into the finished Haunted Mansion. There is at least one possible example, however. It's not a slam-dunk, and if it is a known symbol woven into a Crump design, it's rather modest. But still...


    This is a triskele:



    That triple spiral is thought to be a celtic design, popular today in jewelry and tattoos (as is anything vaguely identified as "celtic"):



    Nice soft curves. But the triskele also had a long popular run in medieval heraldry, formed with three legs:



    This is the flag of the Isle of Man:



    That one's a little more angular. Alas, this old symbol has now been co-opted and put to use by the neo-nazis:



    As many of you no doubt know, the familiar Nazi swastika was simply a new version of a venerable old symbol, widely used in various religious and cultural contexts. They pretty much soiled it, and spoiled it. Well, it's illegal to display the four-armed Nazi swastika in Germany, so neo-nazis get around the law by commandeering other old symbols that sorta evoke the old Nazi swastika and displaying them on their flags, etc. The triskele is one of these, and it is in danger of being corrupted beyond redemption, like the four-armed swastika before it. But enough of that.

    So...where do we find the triskele in the Haunted Mansion?



    Yeah, it could be nothing. Just a squiggle Rolly came up with as part of the design. But considering (1) the dynamic described above, of mixing vaguely familiar symbols into his flights of fancy, and (2) the fact that the CoD wallpaper invites you to look deeper into it, what with those faces peeking out the pattern and all, it may just be that this is the only example of this Crumpism that made it into the finished HM.

  7. #1522

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Interesting as always, HBG2. So what is the symbolism of a triskele? I assume it has some occult or mystical significance?

  8. #1523

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlyguitarist View Post


    Gastley Mansion. This is seen in Frontierland at WDW. It's across from Pecos Bill's, facing into Adventureland (or Caribbean Plaza, to be more accurate). Directly in the background is Splash Mountain. The sign is planted just behind the fence in the landscaping for the ride.

    -Adam-
    That's odd. So it points the way toward the Haunted Mansion? Does anyone know why, and what's the meaning of the misspelled word "gastley" being crossed out?

  9. #1524

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Very interesting, HBG2. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it were a very intentional addition to the design.


  10. #1525

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,533

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Interesting as always, HBG2. So what is the symbolism of a triskele? I assume it has some occult or mystical significance?
    Short answer? It means almost anything you want it to mean!

    Triskelion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  11. #1526

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Very interesting, HBG2. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it were a very intentional addition to the design.
    Please don't make a Walt Disney joke.

  12. #1527

    • now that i see you ♥
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Please don't make a Walt Disney joke.
    ...I think he means the fact that it is, in essence, a symbol of the occult.
    dreams. come. true.

  13. #1528

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    ...I think he means the fact that it is, in essence, a symbol of the occult.
    Yeah I know that, but this could give fuel to the Walt Disney was anti-semetic crowd.

  14. #1529

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    That's odd. So it points the way toward the Haunted Mansion? Does anyone know why, and what's the meaning of the misspelled word "gastley" being crossed out?
    I don't remember the story, but I think "Gastley" is supposed to be a family name before Master Gracey was well known.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  15. #1530

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    278

    Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Yeah I know that, but this could give fuel to the Walt Disney was anti-semetic crowd.
    But we all know (or a good amount of us Thread-heads, I should say) that Walt had such little input as to the creation of the attraction, he hadn't lived to see such detail in the development of the show. At the time of his passing there were so few things developed that even remained part of the show. There were a few elements like the Mansion Facade, the stretching portraits and some of the changing portraits that made it through the pipeline and into the attraction, as evidenced by the Tencennial show in which Walt showed these things to Julie Reihm, but they didn't even know the context for these concepts at this point. Really all he knew was how the house looked, because that was the only thing really set in stone (It had already been built). And the fact that there would be ghosts . . . he probably knew that too . . . but certainly he did not oversee the creation of the wallpaper. That's too intricate of a detail to relate to Walt.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

    https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

    "The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio


    "Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis





Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
  3. Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    By HBG2 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2021
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •