Page 104 of 135 FirstFirst ... 4547994101102103104105106107114129 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2012

• =)

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

No worries...when I considered using it my post, I had to look it up first just to make sure it was really "legal."

• Inhospitable about happy

Before there was the Haunted Mansion, there was Snow White's Scary Adventures. We've documented throughout these Threads a number of examples of influence—even direct borrowing—from the one to the other. That's no surprise, since some of the same people (i.e. Claude Coats) worked on both.

The original SW (1955-1982) was scarier than the current version. Always hard to photograph, the best peek inside of the old ride was provided by ViewMaster reels of old Fantasyland, which featured one or two interior shots, depending on which edition you got. The version that dates from the early 60s had a spectacular shot of the witch, but this pic was among those that got dropped in order to make room for several IASW pix when that ride opened in 1966, so later ViewMaster sets didn't have the witch.

I've got that old ViewMaster set, and have long wished that someone with the capability would scan that witch shot and get it online. Well, someone finally did, and good ol' Daveland got it out there at last. Next time someone complains and says, "Walt would never have approved anything as scary as _____," show them this.

• Banned User

I don't remember the original version very well, although I visited Disneyland many times during the 70s. However, I think the current version is scarier than the HM (although the old attic scene -- with the popup/blastups -- was scarier than both).

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Awesome and very creepy photo, great find HBG...well worthy of the Thread.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I think what's upsetting to me about that picture is the fact that that circa 1955 figure is better than most non-Disney figures being created with 21st century technology. Sometimes the computer just can't replace the hand of an artist . . .
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    I think what's upsetting to me about that picture is the fact that that circa 1955 figure is better than most non-Disney figures being created with 21st century technology. Sometimes the computer just can't replace the hand of an artist . . .
    Definitely. I once rode Pinocchio with my mom MiceChatMama (who hadn't ridden the ride in years and years, and it's really one of her favorites.) She kept talking about how excited she was to see the Blue Fairy statue at the end--how it was this incredibly detailed and gorgeous statue, her favorite, and how she hadn't seen it in years, etc. We get to the end of the ride, she's visibly excited and....it's a Pepper's of a less beautiful statue. Not only was she hurt and confused, but she was good and angry for about 20 minutes. I don't think she has forgiven Disney for that yet because she hasn't ridden that ride since, no matter how short the line.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Definitely. I once rode Pinocchio with my mom MiceChatMama (who hadn't ridden the ride in years and years, and it's really one of her favorites.) She kept talking about how excited she was to see the Blue Fairy statue at the end--how it was this incredibly detailed and gorgeous statue, her favorite, and how she hadn't seen it in years, etc. We get to the end of the ride, she's visibly excited and....it's a Pepper's of a less beautiful statue. Not only was she hurt and confused, but she was good and angry for about 20 minutes. I don't think she has forgiven Disney for that yet because she hasn't ridden that ride since, no matter how short the line.
    I think it's probably been the same statue the whole time.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I think it's probably been the same statue the whole time.
    Well....tell her next time you see her, lol.
    dreams. come. true.

File this one under, "Sometimes a prop is just a prop."

Wouldn't it be cool to see what those books on the ballroom table are?

Well, here y'are, darlin', courtesy of the trove of backstage pix we discovered awhile back.

One book is identifiable: J. C. Aspley's What a Salesman Should Know about Finance: How Salesmen in Various Lines of Business Have Made Money Make Money for Themselves, their Employers and their Customers. From what I can gather, in its day it was sort of a classic within this narrowly defined niche. It was written in 1924, well past the date of anything in the fictional time period of the HM (i.e., nothing past the 19th c., as far as I can tell). Not much about this book would make it appropriate for a haunted house, that's for sure. No doubt it was chosen because it just looks old.

What a salesman should know about finance (Open Library)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    File this one under, "Sometimes a prop is just a prop."

Wouldn't it be cool to see what those books on the ballroom table are?

Well, here y'are, darlin', courtesy of the trove of backstage pix we discovered awhile back.

One book is identifiable: J. C. Aspley's What a Salesman Should Know about Finance: How Salesmen in Various Lines of Business Have Made Money Make Money for Themselves, their Employers and their Customers. From what I can gather, in its day it was sort of a classic within this narrowly defined niche. It was written in 1924, well past the date of anything in the fictional time period of the HM (i.e., nothing past the 19th c., as far as I can tell). Not much about this book would make it appropriate for a haunted house, that's for sure. No doubt it was chosen because it just looks old.

What a salesman should know about finance (Open Library)
    Another excellent bit of research on the book, what really fascinates me in this photo however are the old stereo cards, as I rather collect them. The one on the lower right is more intriguing, looks like some kind of European peasant's hut...great view here!

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Whoa. That...is amazing.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Another excellent bit of research on the book, what really fascinates me in this photo however are the old stereo cards, as I rather collect them. The one on the lower right is more intriguing, looks like some kind of European peasant's hut...great view here!
    Next Disney visit, I'll jump down and go check out the titles of the other books. I just hope I don't get too many cuts from the broken glass.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Just don't smudge the first layer of plexi-glass.

"Memory is a mad woman who hoards colored rags and throws out good food."

I don't know who said that, but it's true. You vividly remember weird, incidental details of things and forget the important stuff.

Seeing this picture by darkfairycthulu on the other, HM image thread takes me back to my first ride on the HM, Aug 14, 1969.

There's tons of things I wished I remembered from that early ride. Naturally. And there's tons of things I do remember that could be from that visit, but I can't separate them out from the recollections of subsequent rides in those early days. However, one thing I vividly do remember from that first ride was wondering (with my brother) whether this Haunted Mansion thing was a ride or a walk-thru, and I asked the CM stationed at that exact spot, on the corner, who was collecting E-tickets next to the turnstile, which was also at that corner. He never looked up, but said, "Both." So as we rounded the corner for the last stretch of line (which was LONG) before entering for the first time, we had our curiosity piqued and satisfied at the same time.

What a weird, unimportant thing to remember so clearly, eh? A colored rag. (I do remember the HBG, though, so I kept at least one morsel of good food.)

Weirdly enough, this recently posted concept painting reminds me of the approach to that same corner, as seen in another photo I found somewhere.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Glad to see my photo sparked a memory, HBG2....and very cool to hear your recollections of that day, and it is very interesting the odd correlation between those two images...coincidental, I am sure, but still very intriguing.

I don't have many early memories of the Mansion, concrete ones...the first thing I remember, date unknown, was the attic scene in it's old state with the shrieking pop-up heads and the black-faced, motionless bride staring at you as you exited...that made the biggest impression on me, the "scariest" area of the ride...figures, being a horror fan that I would recall that the strongest, heh.