Page 13 of 135 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516233863113 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Two years is long enough for the novelty to really wear off, and for opinions to settle into place. Two years on, what do you Thread-heads think about Connie? A hit? A miss? A mixed bag? Why?
    I greatly respect the Imagineers (and TDA) for not cutting corners when it came to this modification, for the most part. I think that out of context, the Constance story is intellectually rather satisfying...but it doesn't fit the mood of the remainder of the attraction, as we discussed. The huge joke of the afterlife just being a big party is totally lost in the attic now--not that it was ever that strong in that scene, mind you. Furthermore, I find the Connie figure itself to be not as convincing as the other projection effects in the attraction. She's got a very flat face, and the projected arms do not do it for me. I've got depth perception, thank you, and I know when what I'm seeing isn't three-dimensional.

Bottom line...I'm not crying over the new attic, since that scene really has never been my favorite. I've always felt like it was a forgettable interlude between the ballroom and the graveyard, with the exception of the ghostly pianist--I've always liked that effect, being a pianist myself. The musical synchronization with GGG is amazing.

• It's all about Theme!

I want to say that a good mixture of old and new for the bride should be done. Keep the shrouded figure of the bride (A Mixture of the 1st and 2nd Version) seeing the face a little more then the first figure and a little less then the second figure. Have a creepy axe that isn't a video projection and that's that.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• or is it Namjij?

I'm flying down to Orlando to visit WDW for a week tomorrow. Can't wait to see the post-refurb HM in all its glory for the first time in person!
    All I can say is, Faldric Nomjitch would be a killer nic for an HM fanatic on the DB (or any other) chat boards. Wish I had thought of it.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric Nomjitch View Post
    I'm flying down to Orlando to visit WDW for a week tomorrow. Can't wait to see the post-refurb HM in all its glory for the first time in person!
    Have fun. Okay, I'd like to hear eventually from some of our fiery female Thread-heads about Connie, but in the meantime...

This evening, The Thread 3 takes you behind the scenes.

PART ONE.

A guy with the nic "Joe B" went for a ride on the DL HM last year, and it went 101 while he and his family were in the Load Area (apparently). They used the emergency exit, and he actually took a few snaps inside and put 'em up at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=cata...aunted+mansion

I presume they used this exit:

And that they used this corridor:

Here again are the two money shots, lightened up so you can see more:

Edit: By the way, if that emergency exit door looks like it's not in the right place vis-a-vis the little map, that's because they moved that doorway eight or nine feet to the left a couple of years ago.

PART TWO:

Here are some pix of security monitors inside the HM, spying on y'all:

No, I don't know any details about these. And if I did, I probably couldn't say anything anyway.
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-23-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Miss Marvel

I, honestly, don't remember what the old attic looked like.

I didn't own a annual pass until after Constance was put in. The last time I had been to Disneyland before my first visit with Constance was at least a few years. But, between 1996 and 2000, I went to Disneyland seven times. So I was no newbie before I obtained the AP.

So I guess I found the previous attic forgettable?

The very first time I rode with the new attic, I thought it was WAY too much stuff to see and understand in one ride through. It wasn't until at least three times through, that I understood the plot and story.

But it seems too specific in comparison to the rest of the mansion. Shouldn't the rest of the rooms have stories too then?

Regarding Constance her self, the first time I saw it, I thought it looked really good and impressive. Now, I just wish they'd make an animatronic. Maybe the projection is calibrated differently now, or maybe I'm too use to it. But I don't like it anymore. Perhaps it's just one of those effects that doesn't stand up too well with repeated viewings?

If Hatbox Ghost is going to be an animatronic, so close to the projection, I think Constance isn't going to look too good.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

As a child the old attic was terrifying. Both the attic and the graveyard had the pop up ghosts to scare you, but the graveyard seemed like a fun party. The heartbeat in the attic I remember so vividly burying my head in the side of whatever adult I was with. I prefer Constance to the pop-up ghosts saying "I Do".

• =)

Sweetness! I've been wanting photos of the chicken exit for quite some time now! Thanks so much for bringing those to our attention, Dan. This is puzzling, however, in some ways. I mean, the exteriors are a no-brainer, but the two interior "money shots" are tricky. After much deliberation, however, I've decided I think you're right. Here are the two shots stitched together:

And here's my sketch, as close to scale as possible, of a blueprint detailing the changes to the area with the door you mentioned. It wasn't just that they moved the door--walls and such changed, as well. Make of this sketch what you will--I'm sorry for the quality, but I didn't have all that much time, and I don't own the actual print, I'm afraid.

The notations are 133', up 5, 126' 7", and up 6. The first and third are elevations above sea level for their areas; the second and fourth are numbers of steps going up as they proceed toward the bottom of the sketch. The frustrating part about all this is that I'm not seeing the final door placement in the sketch! I can't remember if it was on the print but I forgot to copy it, or if it just wouldn't there. It had to have been the latter, though I tried to be pretty thorough...anyway, sorry I can't provide anything better.

Aanyway, back on the topic of the money shots--I'm pretty sure they were taken from that corner right below where I wrote up 6, looking down that hallway that proceeds toward the bottom of the sketch.

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    As a child the old attic was terrifying. Both the attic and the graveyard had the pop up ghosts to scare you, but the graveyard seemed like a fun party. The heartbeat in the attic I remember so vividly burying my head in the side of whatever adult I was with. I prefer Constance to the pop-up ghosts saying "I Do".
    Same here. Because of the attic I missed most of the graveyard scene as a child, as I'd shut my eyes tight to avoid the "I Do" ghosts and not open them until we were safely being joined by the hitch hiking ghosts.

I've only seen Constance once and it was my first time in the Mansion for 10 years, so my opinion is a bit skewed, but I liked her. She could definitely use some improvements with the projections and such, but I still enjoy her presence.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    Same here. Because of the attic I missed most of the graveyard scene as a child, as I'd shut my eyes tight to avoid the "I Do" ghosts and not open them until we were safely being joined by the hitch hiking ghosts.

I've only seen Constance once and it was my first time in the Mansion for 10 years, so my opinion is a bit skewed, but I liked her. She could definitely use some improvements with the projections and such, but I still enjoy her presence.

Constance does need some improvement. The more she get distorted the more she look like Barbra Striesand.

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Constance does need some improvement. The more she get distorted the more she look like Barbra Striesand.
    Well now, that IS terrifying. Perhaps that was the desired effect.

**waves to Chaad**

• Bats in the Belfry!

I can't speak for DL's Constance, but WDW's isn't very good. Her face and body are two separate projections, so not only is there a strange gap between head and shoulders for Connie (irony?), but the head will occasionally appear out of alignment, thanks to her facial movements. On top of that, she's very obviously a projection on a static figure; everything is flat on a white ghost-shaped form. The arms, which should stick out a little, really screw up the illusion. It's not convincing.

The attic itself is dark, dreary, and ominous, as always, but the heartbeat lost all its purpose, and the disembodied piano music (same as DL's, only there's no piano up in the attic) is a bit odd. There was more tension in riding through those blind corners, made of stacks of junk and cobwebs, hearing only a heartbeat, with those pop-up heads bursting at you, all the while, wondering where the sound was coming from. Then, suddenly, there she is...a mournful, broken-hearted bride, standing just in front of your way out. It was a build-up. It still is, to an extent, but the pacing feels a little off. I'm reading way too far into this, I think.

-Adam-

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Sweetness! I've been wanting photos of the chicken exit for quite some time now! Thanks so much for bringing those to our attention, Dan. This is puzzling, however, in some ways. I mean, the exteriors are a no-brainer, but the two interior "money shots" are tricky. After much deliberation, however, I've decided I think you're right. Here are the two shots stitched together:

And here's my sketch, as close to scale as possible, of a blueprint detailing the changes to the area with the door you mentioned. It wasn't just that they moved the door--walls and such changed, as well. Make of this sketch what you will--I'm sorry for the quality, but I didn't have all that much time, and I don't own the actual print, I'm afraid.

The notations are 133', up 5, 126' 7", and up 6. The first and third are elevations above sea level for their areas; the second and fourth are numbers of steps going up as they proceed toward the bottom of the sketch. The frustrating part about all this is that I'm not seeing the final door placement in the sketch! I can't remember if it was on the print but I forgot to copy it, or if it just wouldn't there. It had to have been the latter, though I tried to be pretty thorough...anyway, sorry I can't provide anything better.

Aanyway, back on the topic of the money shots--I'm pretty sure they were taken from that corner right below where I wrote up 6, looking down that hallway that proceeds toward the bottom of the sketch.
    I thought you might enjoy those, Data. Does this old blueprint help? I know you've got it, but maybe you don't have it handy. Like I said, the doorway has been moved over. GRD says about 8 feet. Obviously, that means some interior wall rearrangement too.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• =)

I thought you might enjoy those, Data. Does this old blueprint help? I know you've got it, but maybe you don't have it handy. Like I said, the doorway has been moved over. GRD says about 8 feet. Obviously, that means some interior wall rearrangement too.
    Your circle indicates the approximate placement of the new door, right? That would make sense. Anyway, it's really rather fascinating to compare the old layout to the new--not only did they move the door and do some rearrangement of the walls behind it, but they also added new stairs and ramps and pushed out the walls into the loading area, bringing them closer to the Doombuggies. In my sketch, you'll see two parallel diagonal structures at the upper left; the lower one is the exterior wall. You can see they added a walled-off area that (I think) leads to a new door to the outside. In all the HM blueprints I'd ever scrutinized, I'd never seen a door in that spot--I'm talking about the very leftmost bit of the sketch; there's a blip that's supposed to be a door to the backstage exterior.

Oh, and I'm looking at a couple of the other, more reliable prints, and they've got the original placement of the other door--the one we were talking about--further away from the queue path. Some of the walls are shaped a little differently, too. Keep in mind the print you're referring to says NOTE! FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY on it, and we already discussed how it's got a number of inaccuracies, such as the weird area where the former "exit to the real world" sign wall should be.

EDIT: Here's the more accurate version from the other print:

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I find it interesting that it has been painted since I last saw it. When I saw it, it still had stairs and was painted white with conduit all over the place.

• =)

Good for them for bringing it at least a little closer to the visual aesthetic of the attraction, then. Could I ask if you saw it before or after the refurb? (And under what circumstances, you lucky bum? )