Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Just thought I would post a blueprint of the old gate embelishments so people could take a gander.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Those personal tombstones are awesome! So they were sold in Merlin's Magic shop??
    Yep, Merlin's. The two DL magic shops were HM souvenir central.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Just thought I would post a blueprint of the old gate embelishments so people could take a gander.
    That's mighty cool. And it illustrates once again something we've said a thousand times: the attention to detail that went into this project boggles the mind.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Bats in the Belfry!

Just an aside to the original post of the rotting/fresh fruit...

I've seen a photo (I believe it was published in the WDW 20th Anniversary Book, but I'll have to check it) that showed WDW's ballroom table, and I remember boggling at what was glowing in the middle of the table. I later realized that it was a flower of some kind beneath a glass case, but looking back at it now, it made me realize that they may have been toying with a live flower/dead flower idea there. I'm going to have to dig through my closet to find the remnants of that book (I read it until it, quite literally, fell apart, but I kept the pieces because I'm weird like that).

-Adam-

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

I must have seen that thing a gazillion times. Never bought a tombstone, though. Frankly I didn't think much of them, back in the day. Of course, now they're recognized as "classics" and are highly sought-after by collectors. A good one will cost you a three-figure price on eek-bay. I shoulda bought the whole set. *sigh* Who knew?
    My dad has one of those tombstones, hanging in his workshed. I loved it as a kid and love it more now that I'm a Mansion fan. Since I'm going home this weekend, I'll try to take a picture of it for you Thread-heads

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    My dad has one of those tombstones, hanging in his workshed. I loved it as a kid and love it more now that I'm a Mansion fan. Since I'm going home this weekend, I'll try to take a picture of it for you Thread-heads
    Any of you Thread-heads who are into the Randotti collectibles they used to sell all over park (glowing skulls, tikis, HM tombstones, that sort of thing) should definitely check out this thread at DB.com, if you don't already know about it. It's incredible.

http://p098.ezboard.com/Randotti-His...cID=2536.topic

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Wow...feel like I'm late to my own party.

Yes, it was very apparent that they had at one time toyed with the live-fruit/dead-fruit effect. I can't say whether it was ever implemented, although that was the impression I got on my walk-through. I can say it looked like it would have been fun if it was functional.

I'd have liked to see the flower effect in the mansion. Makes me wonder why they can't try something similar to the rose in the sorcerer's workshop in DCA in the Beast's library. I dunno, maybe there is an unspoken rule I don't know and I'll be flogged on here for suggesting it, but why does the ballroom have to be pepper's ghost exclusive?
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Wow...feel like I'm late to my own party.

Yes, it was very apparent that they had at one time toyed with the live-fruit/dead-fruit effect. I can't say whether it was ever implemented, although that was the impression I got on my walk-through. I can say it looked like it would have been fun if it was functional.

I'd have liked to see the flower effect in the mansion. Makes me wonder why they can't try something similar to the rose in the sorcerer's workshop in DCA in the Beast's library. I dunno, maybe there is an unspoken rule I don't know and I'll be flogged on here for suggesting it, but why does the ballroom have to be pepper's ghost exclusive?
    If by "pepper's ghost exclusive," you mean "the only place in DL that they ever used pepper's ghost," t'ain't so. I think several of the effects in Dead Man's Grotto on TSI are Pepper's, including this one:

In the old Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, Ken Anderson used Pepper's Ghost to good effect in a number of tableaux. If you can do the "magic eye" cross-eye viewing, you'll see the 3D effect of the light particles floating in mid-air in this ViewMaster pic, thanks to good old Pepper.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    If by "pepper's ghost exclusive," you mean "the only place in DL that they ever used pepper's ghost," t'ain't so.

Actually, I meant more along the lines of the majority of the effects in the ballroom are pepper's ghost. I think it would be cool if other types of effects (like the projection rose petals in the beast's library) could be incorporated into the room - as long as they could be done seamlessly and not stand out. That way the actual ghosts could be done with pepper's ghost, but the house itself could change in other ways (centerpiece, fireplace, etc.)
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• whatever

Speaking of illusions, at the end of the ride, are the hitchhiking ghosts that "follow you home" seated on actual doom buggies on the other side of the mirror?

• A Honorary Autobot

Actually, no. From some of the pictures floating around here, they appear to be little more than heads and torsos on blacked-out sticks.

But since we're on the topic and there's already rumors flying about the 40th Anniversary (which is supposed to include the return of you-know-who and some interactive AA HHGs), it would be cool to imagine the mirrored ghosts being more articulated, laughing, leaning over to kiss a rider on the cheek, etc.

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    ...leaning over to kiss a rider on the cheek, etc.
    Umm, I'm not sure how well people would take that effect.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I think one thing to remember is that with the ballroom, you have so many different ghosts. Visually, I think it would be incredibly difficult to focus on something as small as flowers wilting or fruit rotting. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but I think in terms of visual impact from the scene, something very minute.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggies View Post
    Umm, I'm not sure how well people would take that effect.
    Heh. It's not like its not already happening. Heck, I've heard of CMs having official sounding codes for people enjoying the ride a little too much...

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    I think one thing to remember is that with the ballroom, you have so many different ghosts. Visually, I think it would be incredibly difficult to focus on something as small as flowers wilting or fruit rotting. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but I think in terms of visual impact from the scene, something very minute.
    I agree. Even if it worked, it wouldn't work (i.e., it would escape the notice of 99% of the riders).

But rumor has it there are a few HM hypergeeks out there, so...

And speaking of HM hypergeeks, sometimes you're pawing through old photos and something stops you dead in your tracks. Then you wonder if it's really that unusual or if you've just never noticed it before, while everyone else has.

Allen Huffmann at Disneyfans.com has an agreeable habit of precisely dating his photos. This one was taken Nov 2, 2000.

The gong was not in the Séance Circle originally, that I know. I don't remember ever seeing it or hearing about it before. This photo is just a bolt out of the blue. Anybody know anything about this Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect™ ?

(Of course, if it turns out it's hanging there right now, over in the corner, where it's been for 20 years, um...I'll be a little embarrassed.)