Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2641484950515253546176101 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

A little scrap, which I have not seen posted so far...from the Slave Labor Haunted Mansion comic issue #1, the appearance of the Hatbox Ghost....nothing huge or earth shaking, just a little tidbit of Mansiony goodness.

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• is too darn hot.

Go Dodgers!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• A Honorary Autobot

Pardon me asking, but Lady Constance Gracey, where did you get that avatar image? It's pretty cool.

Little bit of HM in everyday life:
    I travel a lot for work which accounts for most of my lapses in posting. While abroad, I spend many a night in hotels throughout the country. While staying in a Marriott Courtyard Hotel a few months ago, I noticed an inscribed placard at the footwell of the hotel's elevator. It read: Otis.

Smirking to myself, I began to rehearse: This chamber has no windows and no doors...

For those who don't know, the Otis Company purposely built the large capacity elevators for the HM. Every time since then, when I walk into an elevator I keep an eye out for Mr. Otis' signature.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    I travel a lot for work which accounts for most of my lapses in posting. While abroad, I spend many a night in hotels throughout the country. While staying in a Marriott Courtyard Hotel a few months ago, I noticed an inscribed placard at the footwell of the hotel's elevator. It read: Otis.

Smirking to myself, I began to rehearse: This chamber has no windows and no doors...

For those who don't know, the Otis Company purposely built the large capacity elevators for the HM. Every time since then, when I walk into an elevator I keep an eye out for Mr. Otis' signature.
    Gonna be a Tower Dork for a sec....

All the elevators in Disneyland are Otis, no matter where you are in the resort. The "elevators" in the Tower of Terror, even, are actual Otis elevators. They were specially designed for the ride with a serious motor and a serious braking mechanism, and the added feature at WDW of having it move horizontially on a track. The Otis company became such a success because the founder, Mr. Otis, developed a safety mechanism that would stop the elevator from falling if they cable supporting it were to snap. (For those of you who have seen the made-for-TV film based on the ride, what happened to the five people on the elevator would actually be impossible. Except for the lightning.)
    Now all of you know my love for ToT, but what you may not know is the irony I have in loving it so much. My grandfather's grandfather was an elevator operator for Otis in a high rise in New York city. One day, while going about his business, the cable of the elevator he was in snapped. Now, that's perfectly alright, as it was an Otis--except the safety mechanism failed, and the elevator crashed to the ground floor.
    His death certificate says he died of a heart attack. I'm sure he did.
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

Wow. That's exceptionally morbid...

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

My extended family has people who have died in odd ways. I have a great great uncle who died as a child--he was injured in a way that (as my grandma puts it) "only a boy can get injored" and he bled to death internally.
    It's not really morbid in my book. It's just something you get used to hearing about.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Gonna be a Tower Dork for a sec....

All the elevators in Disneyland are Otis, no matter where you are in the resort. The "elevators" in the Tower of Terror, even, are actual Otis elevators. They were specially designed for the ride with a serious motor and a serious braking mechanism, and the added feature at WDW of having it move horizontially on a track. The Otis company became such a success because the founder, Mr. Otis, developed a safety mechanism that would stop the elevator from falling if they cable supporting it were to snap. (For those of you who have seen the made-for-TV film based on the ride, what happened to the five people on the elevator would actually be impossible. Except for the lightning.)
    Now all of you know my love for ToT, but what you may not know is the irony I have in loving it so much. My grandfather's grandfather was an elevator operator for Otis in a high rise in New York city. One day, while going about his business, the cable of the elevator he was in snapped. Now, that's perfectly alright, as it was an Otis--except the safety mechanism failed, and the elevator crashed to the ground floor.
    His death certificate says he died of a heart attack. I'm sure he did.
    Wow...that is morbid, and quite the coincidence...but interesting to read all the same. And yes, heart attack seems lightly if you are thinking "Oh, it's fine...it's a Otis, they don't fall!" And then it breaks. Bad luck for your great-grandfather indeed...but quite the story.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Were' supposed to be Happy Haunts. Why all the morbid stuff?

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Keeps conversation going.
    dreams. come. true.

• Banned User

Oh sweet Jesus, I notice that ALL THE TIME. At Halloween Haunt 2007, on the main sign in the front they used both Ravenscroft (the HM font) and Caribbean (the POTC movie title font), and when I noticed this we were waiting for the rest of our group outside Knott's and I started yelling about it. Also, when I saw The Color Purple at the Ahmanson they had signs up for Sweeney Todd using that font.

It drove me a little crazy. Especially the Knott's one because they had a pirate maze set up and at the entrance they had a skull mounted on a wall that would talk and say warnings about what lies ahead and how you may not survive to pass this way again. I, again, started yelling about it and the ripped-off-ness of it, and one of the monsters said from behind his mask "What do you expect? This is Knott's."
    In all fairness, there are also instances in which Disney copied/was inspired by Knott's. (see the thread on "Should Disney copy Knott's?).

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    In all fairness, there are also instances in which Disney copied/was inspired by Knott's. (see the thread on "Should Disney copy Knott's?).
    At this point in time though, Cedar Fair has really driven Knotts into the ground. In my opinion.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

At this point in time though, Cedar Fair has really driven Knotts into the ground. In my opinion.
    I won't argue with you there, having been to Knott's sporadically since I was young...however, and to tie this back just a little to HM, that's why I go always during Halloween Haunt these days...awesome theming for the most part, especially in Ghost Town.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    I won't argue with you there, having been to Knott's sporadically since I was young...however, and to tie this back just a little to HM, that's why I go always during Halloween Haunt these days...awesome theming for the most part, especially in Ghost Town.
    Definitely. WeWantstheRed'ead and I have been psyched for going since we got home from it last year. My bf LeeroyJenkins (MC name, I'm not dating the infamous WoW'er) has never been, so I'm going to drag him with us. I never get scared at that stuff--in fact, I usually try and play with the monsters a bit (last year we gave one cues as to when someone was walking by)--but the mazes bother me. The whole dark, foggy, enclosed area thing freaks me out, but then the monsters jumping out just pushes me over the edge fear-wise. I've been known to leave the mazes crying.
    But yeah, looking forward to it.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Definitely. WeWantstheRed'ead and I have been psyched for going since we got home from it last year. My bf LeeroyJenkins (MC name, I'm not dating the infamous WoW'er) has never been, so I'm going to drag him with us. I never get scared at that stuff--in fact, I usually try and play with the monsters a bit (last year we gave one cues as to when someone was walking by)--but the mazes bother me. The whole dark, foggy, enclosed area thing freaks me out, but then the monsters jumping out just pushes me over the edge fear-wise. I've been known to leave the mazes crying.
    But yeah, looking forward to it.
    I have never really been out right scared at Haunt, but I can understand certainly it being intense for some...but the atmosphere and detailing in the mazes is great too. I have been startled a few times. I am of the opinion Disney could use more in the way of Haunt actors for Halloween, especially around NoS....not for scares, but guest interaction. Hitchhiking ghosts and other assorted ghouls around the Mansion grounds seems a natural to me, and they would be very popular.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    I have never really been out right scared at Haunt, but I can understand certainly it being intense for some...but the atmosphere and detailing in the mazes is great too. I have been startled a few times. I am of the opinion Disney could use more in the way of Haunt actors for Halloween, especially around NoS....not for scares, but guest interaction. Hitchhiking ghosts and other assorted ghouls around the Mansion grounds seems a natural to me, and they would be very popular.
    They do it at Treat around Tower, so I've been told. Would be a really great addition.
    And to our regulars and our lurkers, I've been told Universal is hiring for their Halloween season. Happy haunting, ghost fans
    dreams. come. true.