Page 6 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I don't know, it really doesn't look that much like a gong, it looks like a drum head.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    As a percussionist and an owner of headphones that are very good for picking apart the different sounds in music (goodness, I sound like an elitist!), I'm gonna say there is no gong whatsoever in the recording. There's no tam-tam either, which is what some of you may be thinking of. There's certainly one or more cymbals being played throughout the seance room music track, and it even seems to change pitch with the wind (wonder how they did that?) but it's not a gong or a tam-tam.
    Me too (I'm a drummah). I agree entirely. There's a cymbal (or cymbals) probably being played with soft mallets to get a "rush" sound, and it also sounds like the tape has been manipulated in the studio. Perhaps that sound suggested a gong to an Imagineer and this prop made a (short-lived?) appearance in the Sťance Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    I don't know, it really doesn't look that much like a gong, it looks like a drum head.
    No, that's a gong, believe me.

See, you look at something like that and you realize that someone had the idea, got a green-light for the idea, probably even did some artwork beforehand to sell the idea, bought the thing, rigged the thing. It's just love for the Mansion that does that, folks; it wasn't needed. And no one notices.

Well, we do hereby notice.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• =)

No, that's a gong, believe me.
    Mmmm, I dunno. I'm inclined to agree with DarthDucky. Looking at it more closely, I'm thinking it's more reminiscent of an animal skin drum head than a gong, which often has a "nipple" in the center. Furthermore, the beater is...strange. Gongs typically use something softer, and drums usually use something with a much smaller tip. Funky.

• or is it Namjij?

Hmm, I don't remember ever seeing a gong there. The only instruments that really stood out to me were the harp and trumpet.

I was looking through my old Haunted Mansion popup book when I noticed the ghost on the front looks a lot like the HBG. The book is dated 1994, so he must have made quite an impression on the illustrator.
    All I can say is, Faldric Nomjitch would be a killer nic for an HM fanatic on the DB (or any other) chat boards. Wish I had thought of it.

• =)

Certainly reminiscent of the good ol' HBG, though it's possible the illustrator was simply basing it on other photos or illustrations (s)he'd seen--rarely has such a short-lived character taken on such an afterlife in promotional materials.

• Circle of Ancients

It is my belief after the studying that cover for some time a while back that the artist relied on the '69 LP art. There is a lot of evidence as to this. First there's the HBG in about the same exact location on each. There is also the dog which appears near the HBG on the LP art. In addition, the Mansion in the background is certainly based on the Disneyland Mansion. This along with a few other things I noticed when examining the two told me it was a very logical conclusion to draw, but it is still complete guess work on my part.

And BTW, Faldric... I love the username.

• =)

And BTW, Faldric... I love the username.
    I do as well, though, as I believe I've pointed out before, I take issue with the spelling of the surname. Should be Nomjij, methinks, though I can hear the Nomjitch interpretation, as well.

• Circle of Ancients

I do as well, though, as I believe I've pointed out before, I take issue with the spelling of the surname. Should be Nomjij, methinks, though I can hear the Nomjitch interpretation, as well.
    I've seen all sorts of takes of it from Namnidge to Numbrage...

• =)

I've seen all sorts of takes of it from Namnidge to Numbrage...
    I could accept Nomjidge, Nomjage, Nomjidge, Nomjadge, etc. The initial a is inconsistent with Frees' pronunctions--he wouldn't pronounce "cat" as "cot", for example. He clearly makes an "ah" sound after the n. There's also no r in there, and the first j is pretty apparent.

• Circle of Ancients

I could accept Nomjidge, Nomjage, Nomjidge, Nomjadge, etc. The initial a is inconsistent with Frees' pronunctions--he wouldn't pronounce "cat" as "cot", for example. He clearly makes an "ah" sound after the n. There's also no r in there, and the first j is pretty apparent.
    Yeah I think your initial "Nomjij" is closest, but any ending of the word seems suitable to me, as he sort of tapers off.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The Haunted Mansion Animated Prop Manual lists the following items in the seance:

Dinner Bell
    Tambourine
    Horn
    Tambourine
    Table With Lamp
    Drum
    Harp
    Horn
    Cymbals
    Table with Knock
    Drum
    GONG
    Tambourine

• =)

Interesting...

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    The Haunted Mansion Animated Prop Manual lists the following items in the seance:

Dinner Bell
    Tambourine
    Horn
    Tambourine
    Table With Lamp
    Drum
    Harp
    Horn
    Cymbals
    Table with Knock
    Drum
    GONG
    Tambourine
    Very cool. Is it still in there somewhere? It appears to be like this one:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Bats in the Belfry!

It's most definitely a gong. (There's actually a little bump in the middle, but it's hard to pick out in the photo) Does anybody know what the basic location of the gong is in the room, and if it's still visible? I don't know if I've ever seen one at the WDW Mansion, but I could very easily have overlooked it, too.

-Adam-

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Mmmm, I dunno. I'm inclined to agree with DarthDucky. Looking at it more closely, I'm thinking it's more reminiscent of an animal skin drum head than a gong, which often has a "nipple" in the center. Furthermore, the beater is...strange. Gongs typically use something softer, and drums usually use something with a much smaller tip. Funky.
    But then again, things do look different in the dark, and that picture seems to have a flash on, so who knows.

Page 6 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast