Page 98 of 135 FirstFirst ... 4873889596979899100101108123 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2012

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I wonder why they can't make the table float now that Leota is floating.
    Good question.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    In answer to the question about the Raven in the Graveyard, I have not noticed any changes with him in the past few days. I do notice however that the longer you are in the mansion, that more becomes visible. If I go in the morning, its very hard to see most things, but late at night, everything can be seen well.
    I've noticed that, too. It may be that your eyes are more adjusted to darkness if you go at night.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Banned User

That's right. I don't think they're experimenting with effects. When you go during the day, the interior of the Mansion looks darker to your eyes because you are coming in from the light. At night, the HM looks more gothic and creepy on the outside -- but less so on the inside.

• Killer of Threads

I can see what you're saying as far as the perceived dimming and brightening of the interior lights, in relation to time of day, etc. However, I must insist that at certain points, the Raven in question wasn't lit at all. Who knows if there's any real meaning to it - maybe a light burned out that day or something.

As for the floating Leota/floating table question, here's my two cents - the stillness of the table does more to emphasize the newly floating crystal ball. The table gives the crystal ball a conceptual "launch pad" of sorts. Perhaps the imagineers figured that a floating table would be "too much" in an already kinetically "busy" scene, and that it would detract from the overall effect.

Just a thought!

• Banned User

Yeah, it might even block the view of Leota herself, from certain angles.

I was going to make this a trivia question, but...

nah.

Almost all of the sounds you hear in the HM are either (1) recorded sounds, or (2) sounds that aren't part of the show and that you're not supposed to hear--the clicking of solenoids in AA's, for example. There is a third category: sounds that ARE part of the show and are NOT recorded. Technically, they're called "practical" sounds. The one really obvious example of this is the mace door knockers in the CoD:

Clack clack clack.

Are there any others? Perhaps the incidental rattling of the suit of armor next to the Endless Hallway counts. Beyond that, I can only think of one other, and it's mighty obscure.

According to one report I've read, the cymbals in the Sťance circle are designed to lightly brush against each other.

• Minion

Isn't there also a knocking sound in the seance circle, after Madame Leota says "rap on a table..."?

Clack-clack, clack-clack.

It sounds too "there" for it to be a recording. Listen for it in this video at 2:01-3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=ulzAnjb0n_E
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 11-06-2008 at 04:18 PM.

• =)

Very interesting point! We don't often think about that. I can't think of any others off the top of my head...or the middle...and the deep may take a while to sift through...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I would imagine the blast up head in the graveyard serves both purposes. Yes it is the sound of the air blasting the ghost up but it also is supposed to give you a little scare.

• =)

That's true - blastups do have a bit of a nice sound to 'em, don't they? That's in the same vein as the dart room in Indy, where some very chilling recorded sound effects complement the very real sounds of the air bursting out of the walls.

So random, but...I wonder what it'd sound like if you were in the portrait gallery during a real thunderstorm, but with all the sound effects turned off. You're underground at that point - and I do mean underground, not merely below grade - so I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to hear much, but if Anaheim got a freakishly midwest-like storm, I dunno...it'd be interesting to find out.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The Rap On A Table in the Seance is indeed a live sound effect done very similarly to the CoD Knocking. As for the cymbals "brushing against each other", the only way they could do it is if a big enough burst of wind knocked them together. The mechanism for the cymbals keeps them far enough apart.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    The Rap On A Table in the Seance is indeed a live sound effect done very similarly to the CoD Knocking. As for the cymbals "brushing against each other", the only way they could do it is if a big enough burst of wind knocked them together. The mechanism for the cymbals keeps them far enough apart.
    I'll take your word for it, GRD. FWIW, I went back and checked, and the claim that they touch each other is in E Ticket 16 (1993), 10 ("clanging softly as they bump each other").

You know, I had heard that the table rap was "live." I just can't remember where. Incidentally, for the first few decades, the tic-toc of the Small World clock was also a "practical" sound effect: a microphone in front of a block of wood being struck by a little hammer!

I'm inclined to agree about the blast-up hiss. They had to have noticed in the course of its development that the air jet made a pretty loud noise, and it is easy to imagine that they simply decided to make a virtue of necessity and let it seem like a deliberate sound effect. Hissing and shrieking...heck, why not?

• is too darn hot.

Rocket skull... I like tht.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Banned User

Rocket skull...wasn't that the title of an Elton John hit?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Did the FL side ever have Harold eyes? I've been so partial to the TL side for so long that when I finally rode the FL side again earlier this year, I was surprised by the lack of eyes. Is that really a relatively new development, or has it always been like that?
    So you finally went to WDW, Data? How did you like that version of HM? Do you agree it's surpassed DL's version (gasp! blasphemy!)