Page 1 of 135 12341151101 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Godzilla will have to wait for T4, I guess.

Link for Thread 2 ("Son of Long-Forgotten..."): http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ion-72609.html
    Link for Thread 1 ("Long-Forgotten..."): Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    Link for Index to Thread 1: Index for "Long-Forgotten" HM Thread

Well, here we are. And post #1 has for its topic a long-forgotten Haunted Mansion effect, strangely enough.

Hats off to RumRunner31 for throwing this one out there. She's a "Plaid" and tells me she was on a walk-through a few weeks ago, when an "A Lead" pointed out that the centerpiece in the ballroom held dead, rotten fruit, while the matching one among the AA's held fresh-looking fruit. He claimed that the effect of the fruit rotting away and then being restored had actually been implemented, but alas, it was no longer used due to lighting changes. RumRunner31 has seen the contrasting fruit displays and finds the report credible.

I've never heard of this effect. Have any of you ever seen it? It seems like a natural thing to try.

Pix, we need pix! Okay, here y'go...

GRD has blogged about that centerpiece and has a few pix: (http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...very-size.html)

In older photos, it looks like we've got fresh fruit out on the table, and blackened fruit with the AA's below: (Edit to add--what this means is, there was NO effect back then: "Blackened" means "invisible")

But in this pic (from GRD's blog), notice the fresh fruit among the AA's:

Unless that one is from WDW, it looks like they've definitely monkeyed around with this centerpiece from time to time.

It's really hard to tell from photos what the state of that fruit on the table is, whether the pix are very old...

...or rather recent:

Anyway, what we've got here is chapter 39,495 in Imagineering Never Throws Anything Away.™ One of the changing portrait ideas they never used was a vase of flowers that rotted away before your eyes. GRD has a good pic of the concept art:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_Ic-sQEZUXMs/...0-h/phall1.jpg
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-18-2008 at 06:40 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• =)

Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Woo hoo! The Thread 3! Thanks for the post, Dan. I'm sure much fun will follow, and I can't wait till I get the chance to interject some of my own with that project.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

There is actually a Marc Davis concept of Fruit in a bowl that slowly rots.

Also, WDW doesn't have the fruit stand on the table, it has a flower inside of a glass dome in the center with vines trailing out of it.

I was once told that the fruit was there, just to make sure things lined up when they moved the table around..... Of course... thats wrong.... LOL

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

In older photos, it looks like we've got fresh fruit out on the table, and blackened fruit with the AA's below
    I am much more inclined to think that the blackened bowl of fruit is there as a placeholder, to prevent any of the reflected ghostly images from appearing on the wrong side of the real object.

Look around at the AA side and you'll see blackened chairs and other items that mirror their real counterparts in the Ballroom. The blackened copies are not meant to suggest a fire's charred remnants, but are closely aligned with the actual item in the ballroom so that, as the Doombuggies pass by overhead and the view changes due to angles and parallax, the reflected ghosts don't jump from behind an object to in front of it to behind it again.

Since there are ghosts on the upstage side of the table (the side away from the Doombuggies) they could appear to change position around an object as the view changes.

Its too early. Did I just say the same thing three times over? Good thing I wasn't looking into a mirror as I typed the above, or Granny Ghost from the Ballroom would appear!

• =)

I'm gonna weigh in and say that I, too, doubt this effect would ever work. Nothing black gets reflected, and if they did have non-black rotten fruit on the black table, it would basically look like ghostly fruit superimposed on the normal fruit. Kinda weird...

• or is it Namjij?

Wow, I didn't even realize that there was a bowl of fruit on the table there.

I imagine, even if the effect worked, it would be far too subtle for most people to even notice it.
    All I can say is, Faldric Nomjitch would be a killer nic for an HM fanatic on the DB (or any other) chat boards. Wish I had thought of it.

You guys are correct about the blackened fruit being nothing but a cut-out to prevent seeing one of the ghosts "through" the fruit centerpiece. I should have been clearer on that point. What the older photos show is no effect at all, in other words.

The fresh, non-blackened produce in this pic is the dead give-away that they're experimenting with producing an effect. That fruit is made to be seen:

I would think it's a tough effect to pull off. You'd need a powerful but concentrated spotlight illuminating the fruit, with no light spill-over illuminating anything else down there that's supposed to be invisible, and the stuff on the table would have to be pretty dark and rotten-looking for riders to actually notice the difference. Better yet, empty the thing, and have fruit magically appear?

Also, duh, WDW has a completely different centerpiece, as GRD points out.

• I'm not really here

Yeah... in older versions this was simply a place holder to keep ghosts in their proper places.

But that picture of the fresh fruit on the AA side of things shows that there was an experiment going on. The blacked out fruit stand would never have to be lit to have its effect as it would block light reflected from the ghost AAs if it were lit or not. However, having fresh fruit on top of it allows for a light to fade on and off on it and in the reflection you would see fresh fruit appearing and disappearing. If this was done properly, the colors of the fresh fruit would overpower the dead faded look of the fruit on the real table.

This would be a cool effect to see in action.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Perhaps he knows too much

Ahhh...I've been jonesing for some Thread III action.

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the forgoing ~5000 posts, so just wanted to take a moment to observe one more bit of exterior detailing lost to the HMH overlay...

The original wrought-iron gates, with their ornate curlique'd tops... (thanks to to daveland)

were sawed-off...

to accomodate the HMH banner.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Yay! We're back with our favorite thread! and yes, I agree about the effect. Although a charred/rotten effect would be fabulous as well. At least we wouldn't have to smell it due to the wonderful glass separating us from our "friends" in the ballroom. Although, if the Imagineers wanted to pursue such an effect & wanted to add some extra plussing, they could add "smells" throughout the Mansion... the stench of a musty room for various rooms in the Mansion, moldy fruit in the ballroom and of course rotting flesh in the graveyard... well, the last two might not go over well with some (unless the hitch hiking ghosts offered up barf bags at the end)!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Nice Find anaz! More proof that other than the layover, the HMH doesn't help the regular HM much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the forgoing ~5000 posts, so just wanted to take a moment to observe one more bit of exterior detailing lost to the HMH overlay...

The original wrought-iron gates, with their ornate curlique'd tops...
    were sawed-off...to accomodate the HMH banner.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Nice Find anaz! More proof that other than the layover, the HMH doesn't help the regular HM much at all.
    Total dittos to aashee's comments. I, for one, had never noticed that interesting detail.

I love wrought iron. In part because I love words, and other than the fossilized phrase, What hath God/man wrought?, "wrought iron" is the last remaining use of the wonderful verb "wright" in English. It's a lot like "smith," but less confined to metalworking. It means "to do, to make, to craft." Names like Boatwright, Cartwright, Wheelwright, or just plain Wright go back to craftsmen who specialized in making certain items for a living. "Wrought iron" is crafted iron, iron made into something.

The wrought iron on the HM is universally admired and loves the camera. GRD did a nice blog on it awhile back, identifying the style as "Bird of Paradise."

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...ical-bird.html

What I hadn't noticed until relatively recently is that there really is a bird in the Bird of Paradise ironwork. This will probably be an old-hat observation to many of you, but somehow it had eluded me. I don't see it in many photos, for some odd reason:

(photo by Carrie Vines)

I also love it because it means that already, outside the HM, you've got the hidden-faces-in-the-architecture motif going on. Whether this was intentional or accidental when they chose the wrought iron design, it works beautifully. Also, the bird looks pissed, which is nice.

I just found a really neat HM reference in the new Simpsons ride in Universal Studios. On "another site" that focuses on Universal IOA there is a bunch of photos from the soft opening. On page 5 about halfway down, There is a sign in the queue that reads "The Haunted Condo...closed for annual ghostbusting." Its clearly based on the HM attraction poster. A neat tip of the hat from Universal Creative.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Revenge... word appropiate for the Haunted Mansion. ;o)
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    I just found a really neat HM reference in the new Simpsons ride in Universal Studios. On "another site" that focuses on Universal IOA there is a bunch of photos from the soft opening. On page 5 about halfway down, There is a sign in the queue that reads "The Haunted Condo...closed for annual ghostbusting." Its clearly based on the HM attraction poster. A neat tip of the hat from Universal Creative.
    ooo I would love to see a picture of that poster...lol

Page 1 of 135 12341151101 ... LastLast