Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Dland opened for 60 straight hours Jan 9,'87 till Jan 11 were you there?

Per a entry in the Star Tours page on Wikipedia (don't know if its true)
    Disneyland remained open for a special 60-hour marathon from January 9, 1987 at 10am to January 11, 1987 at 10pm. To celebrate the opening of Star Tours!
    Wow Disneyland opened for 60 hours straight! I would have Loved to be there! Was anyone on this board there? How was it? Any pictures?

Re: Dland opened for 60 straight hours Jan 9,'87 till Jan 11 were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Per a entry in the Star Tours page on Wikipedia (don't know if its true)
    Disneyland remained open for a special 60-hour marathon from January 9, 1987 at 10am to January 11, 1987 at 10pm. To celebrate the opening of Star Tours!
    Wow Disneyland opened for 60 hours straight! I would have Loved to be there! Was anyone on this board there? How was it? Any pictures?
    I was there for all 60 hours. My family drove up on Sunday for the day and so that I didn't have to drive back to SD by myself.

I stayed awake the whole time, but some other guests slept on the train and in the Enchanted Tiki Room. The whole thing was very surreal, I don't know what I was thinking, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I was there for all 60 hours. My family drove up on Sunday for the day and so that I didn't have to drive back to SD by myself.

I stayed awake the whole time, but some other guests slept on the train and in the Enchanted Tiki Room. The whole thing was very surreal, I don't know what I was thinking, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
    WOW! I cannot imagine how much fun that would have been! Was the park packed at all hours? Were all attractions opened? Amazing!

• =)

That's...insane.

• Banned User

Hmm wasn't alive then..

But I bet 60 hours would have given you enough time, given the lines, to ride Star Tours a few times.

1987 eh? I could have done so much in a row a couple times over that I always wanted to do at DL but never did, or even could do, like, see America Sings, Captain EO, Ride the Peoplemover, check out what was then Bear Country, see MSEP and old Space Mountain (again), and and then do it again the next day.

Man, I would have loved to be there. I just can't help but wonder if I'd get in trouble for sleeping on a bench at night.

• "Always On The Move..."

Another one here that was there for the entire 60 hours (and somewhere still have the wristband and the watch that was given out). Somehow our group managed to get to ride with Lucas, Spielberg, and Coppola sitting in the back row. (I also managed to have my seatbelt refuse to unlock WITH said directors still in the back row).

The que went up and down both sides of Main Street, and we had friends that were in them for (according to them) close to 10 hours. We were lucky due to some *cough* inside contacts *cough* and there were about 15 of us that managed to ride it about 4 - 5 times during the party

Actually best memory was riding Matterhorn and coming up through the inside and then there was sunrise! THAT is still an awsome memory for me.

I'm not sure where pics are (packed away somewhere)..but it was one awsome party time. And the park was PACKED!!!!! (Actually I can't remember for sure if all the attractions were opened as we were forcusing upon Star Tours...but I can honestly say I don't remember anything being closed and we rode whatever we wanted to)..
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Senior Minion

thats so cool
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Thumbs up Re: Dland opened for 60 straight hours Jan 9,'87 till Jan 11 were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Another one here that was there for the entire 60 hours (and somewhere still have the wristband and the watch that was given out). Somehow our group managed to get to ride with Lucas, Spielberg, and Coppola sitting in the back row. (I also managed to have my seatbelt refuse to unlock WITH said directors still in the back row)........................................
    Wow that is a great story! Riding Star Tours with the MAN, or I should say Mans! The three Amigos And then getting to See the sunrise while riding the Matterhorn that is Priceless, how amazing it would have been to be at the park for 60 hours straight!
    As for the 10 hour que for star tours, its pretty amazing, I remember my first ride the year it opened we waited about 3-4 hours on a Sunday I believe or perhaps a summer day and that was after it had already been opened for a few months. So do you remember people just sleeping all over the park wherever they could find a spot, if someone has some shots of that please let us know, those would be funny to look at!

Thanks for sharing that story, if you remember anything more about those 60 hours please tell us.

I wasn't lucky enough to ride Star Tours with the MAN, in fact I don't think I rode it til the last day when my family joined me. The line was too too long! But I do remember riding PeopleMover and the train a LOT to rest the legs. I don't remember it being really packed, but again I avoided Star Tours for the most part.

I remember most, if not all, attractions being open the entire time. I know thinks like the Tiki Room were open and empty and warm and, as I said earlier, people slept on the back benches.

I'll agree the mornings were amazing!

• Progressive Disneylander

I would love to be part of something like that -- although I doubt I could ever stay awake for 60 hours. I could do a full 24 or so, sleep some and come back for another 24.

I believe that my feet would kill me after that many straight hours in the park, though.

I think the funnest time would be the taboo hours of 12am to 8am where DL is usually closed for everyone but the night shift. It would be sorta fun to see the sunrise while on the Matterhorn or something.
    Last edited by KISSman; 05-16-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I did overnight the first night with a friend, and we finally got to see Star Tours at about 5 AM. Took a series of short naps in line, they'd wake me up to advance 20 feet and right back out.

We bailed out in the afternoon and I went home to my own bed.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Animatronic

I was there 25 hours straight for the 25th, but missed the marathon 60 hour run.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Minion

so no cleanup crews came?
    I had no idea this had happened!
    They should do it for the 55th!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    so no cleanup crews came?
    I had no idea this had happened!
    They should do it for the 55th!
    It's even more surreal than that... There are the usual sweepers and janitorial crews on those late night and overnight special events - but while there are some regular Day folk scheduled to come in and work overnight for the event, many of them are the usual 3rd Shift overnight clean-up folks in their Blue Work-shirt Uniforms Costumes, embroidered nametags.

The night crew obviously can't do the heavy work like power-washing the streets with Guests around, or buff the floors in the open restaurants and shops, so they get out there with a pan and broom and towels and cleansers, and clean what they can.

They also get to 'come out of the shadows' for a few hours on New Years Eve when Disneyland is open till 2 or 3 AM. Been there, seen that, done the double-take...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• :)

that would have been awesome! do you know if they stopped allowing entry at any time?
    too bad I wasn't even alive yet =[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast