Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Re: Redheaded Pirate Painting At Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    Ok, so can anyone confirm or deny this, I heard from a friend that we are seeing Pirates backwards, and this redhead is the same one from the action in the village.

Anyone buying into that, or have more information?

Sorry, I understand this might have been talked about somewhere long this topic, but I really don't feel like getting into a (only in America) sexist topic...
    Yes, that's the same redhead from the auction scene.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Dude... don't you love it when someone else posts while you're still typing?
    Dude... where's my car?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

penguinsoda said:

And I have to admit, until reading through this thread, I never really thought about any of the scenes in Pirates with that much depth. I never really thought about the sexual undertones present, either real or perceived. I just went along for the ride and enjoyed the show. Because I think that anything can be interpreted in many ways, depending on the individuals background, values, personal experiences.... all of these things can affect the way we think about things presented to us.
    I agree! When I first rode POTC back in the 60's did I think of rape? NO!
    When I go on the ride now do I think of rape? NO! I believe it's all part and parcel of the world we live in now where people are just too sensitive about being "PC" IMO. When an old Sean Connery James Bond movie shows on tv, do I think of him as being a misogynistic rapist (Think the barn scene in Goldfinger) NO!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Dude... where's my car?
    Don't you mean launch?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    And we know this how? We somehow are assured that she was not destined for the same brutality others would be destined for why? If anything I would think her character would stand the greatest to loose given the entire crowd would bid heavily for her and thus "want their money's worth"...

I would LOVE to hear the explanation of this...

To the TS I apologize for a rather large derailment.
    Simple, she was a whore. I should think that would be obvious from her lack of concern at the prospect of being raped. Not to mention her style of dress and the fact that she's showing her ankles.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Inhospitable about happy

A lot of this discussion (which is both interesting and worthwhile, IMO) still misses two points: (1) we like to look at or listen to fictional representations of very bad behavior that we would never allow ourselves to indulge in; and (2) delicate showmanship is required in providing these fictional representations. It must be disgusting, but not too disgusting. Violent, but not too violent. Up to a point, it's exciting and titillating; step beyond that, and it's repugnant and (paradoxically) boring. Really, haven't we all seen movies or performances from showmen with crappy instincts for where these lines are? Shocking, disgusting, and boring all at the same time?

Why do we do it? Why do we like it? Well, one good reason to have someone rifle through our dark subconscious and pull these little demons out front, manipulating them like puppets for our entertainment, is to train us to indulge those anti-social, incredibly selfish impulses only in fantasy, only in make-believe. That's EXACTLY how parents instinctively handle questions from their kids about things like POTC. "It's just pretend. It's just make-believe. It's just silly." Kids are being trained to accept that even though the desire to be a pirate (to kill, to steal, to break all the rules, to indulge every appetite) will never utterly go away, the way civilized adults deal with it is by putting it in the realm of fantasy and indulging it only in imagination, for amusement, for entertainment and nothing more. Hence the constant refrain, "it's ONLY a ride, it's just for fun."
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Simple, she was a whore.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Thank you, that is all.

Simple, she was a whore. I should think that would be obvious from her lack of concern at the prospect of being raped. Not to mention her style of dress and the fact that she's showing her ankles.
    I'm sorry but I'm completely outraged by your post. Are you seriously suggesting that any woman, no matter what her situation, would lack concern about being raped?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Again, and I can't believe it needs to be reiterated, but the women ARE NOT standing in a line waiting to be raped. They are being bought as BRIDES in the storyline. HUSBANDS are bidding for them. Why do you think the fluffy woman doesn't look upset, or dismayed, but is smiling? Or is she a whore as well? Same with the 'brides-to-be' in the queue to be auctioned off. All whores? Yeesh. Sorry if this sounds abrasive, but this entire thread seems like a prolonged 'forest for the trees' moment.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Yeah, saying she is a prostitute may not be an easy conclusion. My thinking as to her non-chalant attitude is at the time she is trying to get men interested in the auction. Lord knows the sorry lot in line won't spark a whole lot of interest. My other thought is perhaps she's under the impression that she will NOT be auctioned off herself so she has no concern. Heck for all we know she's married to the auctioneer an is just trying to boost his business.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567