Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

A Bug's Life realization

Something I was thinking about on my most recent trip to the park. Flick's Fair obviously doesn't have the greatest attractions, most would call them standard mall or amusement park rides. It does however have a very convincing and immersive theme. From the giant water faucet and sprinkler head, to the various "buildings" spread throughout. In fact I snapped these

Which show how well the HTH blends in and makes you feel even smaller while walking around. So, hats off to WDI for making a highly immersive land, even if the actual entertainment within is seriously lacking.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Re: A Bug's Life realization

I only went there once, when I thought I could find a shortcut to ToT that wasn't there. I did use the restrooms, in which there happened to be some bugs, and I wondered for a split second of they were tiny little animatronics .

Like Toontown (the theming of which I love) I wish there were more full-fledged Disney attractions there so I would have an excuse to walk out there. This land's only non-off-the-shelf offering seems to to ITTBAB. I saw that once, I enjoyed it, but I have no particular urge to see it again. My favorite part, in fact, was the lobby with all the parody stage play posters and the "bee" Broadway instrumentals, since I'm a theatre critic .

Also, even though ITTBAB seems to be the "anchor" or "signature" attraction of the land, it's not in the heart of Flik's Fun Fair. The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.

That's an interesting observation about ToT, it does look like it helps with the feeling of being small. However, it also tricks us poor unsuspecting saps who didn't bother to look at the map think that there will be some way through the land to ToT .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.
    That, like with Paradise Pier, is sadly the point.

I however love the theming. Definitely some of the best in DCA! It was actually even rumored to be duplicated at Animal Kingdom at one point, so it can't be all that bad!

I'm a big fan of bug's land, not just b/c it has only one way in or out so accidentally losing my 3 year old in the crowd isn't AS scary as it would be in Fantasyland. So I pay attention to the land while I'm there.

And along with the theming of really feeling like you're in the lawn of TOT, if you watch the video in the Rod Serling room of that ride (I don't know what to call that room), at one point they show an exterior shot of the grounds, and you can see shapes that look like the clover-looking "plants" in bug's land. So the theme is even carried out in TOT.

Now I've only been on TOT twice, and only once noticed this (the other time I was focused on feeling bad for a CM having a rotten lousy no good day with her co-workers), so I can't explain more of where it is. But I'll be there next weekend and beyond, and I can't wait to watch the movie/film/short again.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Also, even though ITTBAB seems to be the "anchor" or "signature" attraction of the land, it's not in the heart of Flik's Fun Fair. The Fun Fair seems to be entirely dominated by off-the-shelf.

Quite right on both statements.

a) the 3D attraction is the best thing in A Bug's Land but definitely feels like outside territory. Should A Bug's Land reach out to encompass the 3D attraction? I certainly think so. But then again, the queue is kind of unique in that we are full sized humans when we line up and the entire time, we're treated as humans only to wear "bug-eyes". Flik's Fun Fair is acknowledging that you're bug sized already. I think they could make it work though.

b) Flik's Fun Fair is off the shelf. Off the shelf is generally okay with me when it's done right. But here, it's off the shelf for no other reason than to be off the shelf.

I think of the name "flik's fun fair". What does that mean? He's an inventor so he made Flik's Flyers, a nice flying ride made with found objects. Even though I don't really like the ride itself, I think it's pretty clever.

But... what about the other off the shelf rides? They don't share the characteristic of belonging to Flik at all! The other rides are us riding giant heads of Francis, riding Tuck and Roll and their twins in a bumper car, and riding along with Heimlich while he chews and burps his way around the grass.

What happened? Is this a fair made by bugs for bugs? Isn't that the concept of it? That would have been great if they really pulled it off. Make it as if Flik created this little mini-theme park for his fellow ants to celebrate their freedom from the Grasshoppers. It would even be neat to see a large oversized bird made of leaves still hanging overhead.

I often times come off as a big hater of off-the-shelf attractions, because of course I'd favor them build unique ones. But when off-the-shelf is asked for, I'd want them to give it the proper attention to it like they did with the Fantasyland ones.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think of the name "flik's fun fair". What does that mean? He's an inventor so he made Flik's Flyers, a nice flying ride made with found objects. Even though I don't really like the ride itself, I think it's pretty clever.

But... what about the other off the shelf rides? They don't share the characteristic of belonging to Flik at all! The other rides are us riding giant heads of Francis, riding Tuck and Roll and their twins in a bumper car, and riding along with Heimlich while he chews and burps his way around the grass.
    This is identical to how I feel about the actual attractions, but as an overall land I think it is probably one of the most immersive themes in DCA.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Flick's Fair obviously doesn't have the greatest attractions, most would call them standard mall or amusement park rides. It does however have a very convincing and immersive theme. From the giant water faucet and sprinkler head, to the various "buildings" spread throughout.
    Excellent post and observation techskip! The theming is definitely very immersive. Like you said, the rides leave a lot to be desired, but the environment is really cool just to wander around. Even the benches are themed! I love these.

• Fancy that...

I agree with you techskip that Bugs land has great theming, but I don't like the HTH being right there, It contrasts with the theming of Bugs land IMO, I guess there's no law saying that there can't be a hollywood themed buildings there... but it just seems odd to me, I'd rather see that tremendous view of the HTH be used for a new Hollywood street area in that spot, just sayin..

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

That has been a problem with DCA since day one, underwhelming and half.....

Disney heard the complaints of lack of Theming and children attractions at DCA, and built Flik's Fun Fair in response.

Alas, they forgot to build quality attractions as part of the equation.

But then again, Disney was looking to cut back and build on the cheap...

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/dca_interesting_look_back_last-9078.html

1996 KEY TO A CHEAPER PARK

Facility, Show or Ride - Pick any 2.

Capitalize on an improving ride industry.

Take known technology & theme it with paint color, lighting & graphics.

Take advantage of engineering already spent by others.

"Direct Lifts"

If it's good enough for Six Flags ....

The "Guiding Principles"
    So Disney went with heavy theming, but built some very lame rides, including Heimlich's, which takes longer to load than the actual ride. Why wasn't it longer, with a show building???

And as for the Bumper Cars, it has the same height limit as the versions at Knott's and SFMM, both of which are located in the adult areas of their parks. Why did they add it, if it was designed for a kids area???

Should be interesting to see how they work the pathways between Cars Land, "a bug's land" and Tower of Terror when the expand the park.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Bugs land deserves to go. The rides they are just pitiful and no land should ever be based on one movie. I hope Disney Park don't become more Pixar orientated and forgets about the classic Disney movies and rides that really had a lot of magic. Although, these movies are probably a hit at the time like A Bug's Life, I don't see many kids or people watching it now and the land is not very interesting anymore without knowing the movie.

I am interested. WHat do you guys think about Carsland?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty Bear View Post
    Bugs land deserves to go. The rides they are just pitiful and no land should ever be based on one movie. I hope Disney Park don't become more Pixar orientated and forgets about the classic Disney movies and rides that really had a lot of magic. Although, these movies are probably a hit at the time like A Bug's Life, I don't see many kids or people watching it now and the land is not very interesting anymore without knowing the movie.
    I was commenting on the rather impressive theme. As I said the attractions left a lot to be desired. I also do not agree with theming an entire land around one movie. I feel the same about Carsland. In any event I feel that they did an amazing job of creating a very immersive theme despite the restriction of it being movie specific and despite the lackluster attractions... it is still an immersive theme.

I also find it ironic that you need to go to Bugs to ride bumper cars that are usually found on most standard boardwalks!

• Senior Minion

I think bugsland should go eventually, FFF was a cheap quick fix and will feel even more out place after the remodel. It won't fit well with the new theme at all. It is one of the more cohesively themed areas of DCA now though, and that's really just a sad statement about the park as a whole rather than a big compliment of FFF.

I also think that Carsland should not be entirely themed to cars. I think thematically it could fit the park nicely, if it focuses on car culture in CA in general, not just the movie.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

To say that FFF was built on the cheap is ridiculous just because it uses off the shelf systems for the attractions. Off the shelf ride systems have always been used to a certain degree. Its the emersive theming that was used to hide these systems that stand out in an area made to be enjoyed by people of all ages incling TOTs.

I find it amazing how some continue to use the arguement of going cheap continously when it comes to DCA's additions yet ignores the fact that the same attraction systems are praised in TDS. The diference is in the theming. Mermaid lagoon consist of the same off the shelf systems as several of DCA's attractions including FFF, the diference is that TDS had a Sea themed that required a huge structure to engulf you in the environment compared to the oversize lawn theme of FFF.

Sad Re: A Bug's Life realization

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I was commenting on the rather impressive theme. As I said the attractions left a lot to be desired. I also do not agree with theming an entire land around one movie. I feel the same about Carsland. In any event I feel that they did an amazing job of creating a very immersive theme despite the restriction of it being movie specific and despite the lackluster attractions... it is still an immersive theme.

I also find it ironic that you need to go to Bugs to ride bumper cars that are usually found on most standard boardwalks!
    Agreed. Sorry about bringing this negativety... I just couldn't hold it in i guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast