• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

A Slimmer Photo Thread Featuring Playhouse Disney

Just like the most recent MiceChat Weekend Update, this photo thread is 15% slimmer in nature when compared to my previous photo posts, but what we lack in quantity we'll make up in quality. Or at least complete randomness. LOL! This thread was inspired by the recent changes to the Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage show. It's been two years since the last time I saw PHD and I kinda regret not going earlier this year to see Bear, JoJo and Stanley one last time. It was never a favorite show of mine, but I have a soft spot for Bear. And Tutter. Of course Tutter. It wouldn't have been a huge inconvenience to have seen it one last time.

I know some MiceChatters were quick to see PHD when the new version re-opened in March, including Disneyland Daddy, who wrote about it in this thread. And Skunkwerx put together a great video available in this thread. My first attempt at watching it in April was rebuffed when performances were unexpectedly cancelled one day. Hey, even PHD can 101! I had better luck a couple weekends ago on Mother's Day.

This is a very popular show and the theater was packed. A CM offers pre-show instructions and warms up the audience.

Mickey Mouse and the show's host, Casey, start things off and lead us into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Mickey explains that they're preparing a surprise birthday party for Minnie. And everyone has a task to help pull off this party.

We then meet Handy Manny and his friends.

The bubble blowing machine is broken and needs to be fixed. Who will be able to help?

You can imagine the suspense, will the bubble blowing machine be fixed? But the Handy Manny characters probably succeed. Probably. *wink*

Next up, The Little Einsteins have to help their friend Rocket beat Big Jet in a race. I kinda lost how this tied into the larger story of Minnie's Birthday Party, but anytime a show targeted to pre-schoolers mentions "Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov", it gets brownie points from me.

And finally, the characters from My Friends Tigger and Pooh have to figure out a way to get Roo's kite down from a tree.

Roo is sad (and cute) that his kite is stuck in the tree.

Having a tall human friend certainly helps. LOL! The CM performing Casey was terrific. She had the perfect amount of energy and a wonderful singing voice. Leaves fall from the ceiling, much to the delight of all the youngsters in the audience.

We finally return to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and surprise Minnie on her birthday!

Overall, Playhouse Disney is a nice show at DCA, and while I'm not a big fan of the TV shows, I can see why this is very popular with the younger crowd.

I'll be back tomorrow with some random photos from the rest of the parks.

• =)

Re: A Slimmer Photo Thread Featuring Playhouse Disney

Can't say the subject matter is my absolute favorite, but these photos are fantastic! Excellent, excellent work. Might I ask what camera you're using, and what lenses? (I assume it's an SLR--you really can't get that sort of quality with most point-and-shoots.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Hi Datameister, thanks for the comments! I shoot primarily with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi and a Sigma 18-200mm lens. Occasionally a Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 17-70mm also makes it onto the camera body. I forgot to mention that anyone can click on any of the photos above and go to its Flickr page for larger versions and all the EXIF data. And there are several more Playhouse Disney photos in my Flickr set.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Nice pictures Armadillo! Now that my kids are getting older I don't go in the Playhouse anymore, but I may have to make an exception to see the new set. Gotta soothe my inner-Disney dork.

Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen the new show so I appreciate it.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Lovely pictures! I have yet to visit PHD, but I think I just might on my next trip. Who can say no to a Bubble Blower?
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Banned User

Wow! Those are some really good pictures. They almost look like publicity shots. Great Job! Also, those puppets are pretty neat, some of them really translated well to puppetry.

I still miss Bear, Stanley, Rolie Polie Olie, and Book of Pooh though. I remember seeing it when it first opened in 2001 at WDW. It was the most amazing experience (back then at least) to see all those kids having so much fun.

• =)

I shoot primarily with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi and a Sigma 18-200mm lens. Occasionally a Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 17-70mm also makes it onto the camera body. I forgot to mention that anyone can click on any of the photos above and go to its Flickr page for larger versions and all the EXIF data.
    Ah, sweet! If I'd waited a couple more months to buy my SLR, I probably would have ended up with the XTi, but as it is, I'm stuck with the mere XT--a terrible fate, I assure you. Anyway, thanks for posting them to Flickr so we can pixel-peep and examine the EXIF data, too--I see you were shooting at ISO 1600, and I gotta say, the noise level is pretty impressively low! I wonder if they improved that for the XTi. Anyway, fabulous work!

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Very nicely done . . . thanks!

Lu
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Well done on the photos! I caught this for the first time on Sunday and.... and..... I was sure glad when it was done!

Handy Manny also has a really deep voice for a kid. Por que??!!!!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Well done on the photos! I caught this for the first time on Sunday and.... and..... I was sure glad when it was done!

It's all that smoking while hanging out in front of Home Depot I guess
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Thanks everyone for the kind notes and comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    ...but I may have to make an exception to see the new set. Gotta soothe my inner-Disney dork.
    LOL aashee! I know how you feel. That's one of the reasons I went to see it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    Lovely pictures! I have yet to visit PHD, but I think I just might on my next trip. Who can say no to a Bubble Blower?
    Exactly! All the kids in the audience (and a few parents) were reaching up to "catch" as many bubbles as they could. It's a nice effect in the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    LOL! I like PirateMunkee's "Home Depot" theory regarding Handy Manny. The OC Register explains it another way though. The original voice actors from the TV shows also voice the characters for the Live on Stage version. Handy Manny is voiced by none other than Wilmer Valderrama (That 70s Show). I had no idea!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Now onto some random photos from around the parks. First up, we'll stay in DCA for a few shots.

As part of the $1.1 billion upgrade to the resort, the Sun Wheel will be re-themed to HSM2.

Some Pixar Play shots

These two guests weren't afraid of getting wet. It was one of those scorching days and the water was very welcome relief.

The Ratatouille chefs ham it up for the camera.

And I love how the Ratatouille float actually has the recipe for ratatouille.

One last look at the Snow White 70th Anniversary Exhibit

A gratuitous Food & Wine photo: the Peppercorn Crusted Beef Tenderloin Slider

And finally, some flowers in Sunshine Plaza, not quite fully in bloom, but still pretty
    Last edited by Armadillo4; 05-20-2008 at 11:20 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

And just a few more photos, this time from Disneyland itself.

Where Tomorrowland and Fantasyland become one

Mickey Mouse joins the Disneyland Band on Main St. USA

Splash Mountain guests choreograph a pose for their on-ride photo

Brother, a shire draft horse, waiting in front of the Castle

Queenie, looking lovely as usual

Pinocchio leads the way for Gepetto's float in Parade of Dreams

And those days with temperatures in the upper 90s sure kept the people away from the hub during the mid-day heat. This photo was taken shortly before 1pm. It felt eerie without the typical weekend crowd.

That's it for this thread! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and look at these photos!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks again. Nice mix of pictures!