Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

When did they build the waterfalls/grotto at the DL Hotel? Any other info?

I can't find any info on when they were built, who designed them, anything...

Anyways I love those. In the late 90's/early 00's, we would stay at the hotel. If we got up early, My sister and I got to feed the koi fish in the morning near the falls before going to the park.

The waterfalls would always, (or occasionally?) be turned off at night I think. Though, I never got a chance to see them get turned on or off. Maybe someday I'll be able to check that out.

• Mycroft16: #1 Husband

Re: When did they build the waterfalls/grotto at the DL Hotel? Any other info?

I *think* they're closed now. Here's a link to the show, but I'm not sure when they opened.
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/karl/ht040720kb.htm
    Next Disneyland trip: June 19th-24th
    First Disney cruise: Oct. 23rd-27th

See some of my Disneyland photos here!

• Banned User

Yeah you're talking about fantasy waters, which closed either last year, or a few years ago. I liked that too. But I'm talking about the waterfalls nearby.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    Yeah you're talking about fantasy waters, which closed either last year, or a few years ago. I liked that too. But I'm talking about the waterfalls nearby.
    Why did the show close anyway?

• Banned User

I don't know for sure- I'm guessing maybe because of the cost of maintenance and/or lack of interest.

• Perhaps he knows too much

• Queen of Sarcasm

The waterfall area is still open but only during the day. I walked through there a couple of weeks ago. The close it at night because there was little to no lighting in there and the steps can get very wet obviously. You can only imagine what that could lead to.

• Thesaurer, Encyclopedian

The "Water Wonderland," including 165-foot-long Horseshoe Falls, opened with the Bonita Tower on June 7, 1979. The complex was designed by architect Kurt Weber.

• Banned User

Thank you, Jason!

• Mycroft16: #1 Husband

Oops, thought you were talking about the water show.
    Next Disneyland trip: June 19th-24th
    First Disney cruise: Oct. 23rd-27th

See some of my Disneyland photos here!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Fantasy Waters was shut down due to years of lacking maintenance... A really bad part on Disney. 1970-2004

I feel nearly all magic at the hotel has been lost.
    Last edited by FantasyWatersDude; 05-20-2008 at 08:46 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I remember watching the water show from our tower balcony maybe ten years ago and thinking "this hotel is so cool!" Bummer that they took it away.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Eeyore smiling

Not positive, but I think their demise was tied to DCA/Downtown Disney changes.
    I also miss them...such a part of many stays when my kids were young and fascinated by such wonderful experiences...Heavy Sigh

• Senior Minion

I hear that Heavy Sigh! From the early 70's to the 1990's, the Water World theme and marina at the Disneyland Hotel was simply the best. The Dancing Waters show was always fun, even in its last years when it was getting just a bit tired. Strolling the marina and the waterfall grotto on summer nights after the Park closed (nights? try wee hours of the morning!) was magical and romantic. Day or night, the Disneyland Hotel pre-"DLR" was wonderful. Very, very, very much missed.

For anyone in need of a DLH nostalgia fix, check out Don Ballard's "Disneyland Hotel" blog -- magicalhotel.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 'Nother DLH nostalgia fix, from 3 years ago, right here on MC!
    micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I hear that Heavy Sigh! From the early 70's to the 1990's, the Water World theme and marina at the Disneyland Hotel was simply the best. The Dancing Waters show was always fun, even in its last years when it was getting just a bit tired. Strolling the marina and the waterfall grotto on summer nights after the Park closed (nights? try wee hours of the morning!) was magical and romantic. Day or night, the Disneyland Hotel pre-"DLR" was wonderful. Very, very, very much missed.

For anyone in need of a DLH nostalgia fix, check out Don Ballard's "Disneyland Hotel" blog -- magicalhotel.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 'Nother DLH nostalgia fix, from 3 years ago, right here on MC!
    micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680
    No wonder it was done away with. Not once did you use the word "Dreamy" to describe any of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast