Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Fullerton Escapee

California Screamin' - "extreme"

As I sit here in my insomia based glaze, I came upon a fluff piece about extreme coasters in The States. Long story short - California Screamin' was mentioned second. Here's the link:

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/s...3&imageindex=2

Its not a bad piece, really, and it is... interesting to see the old Pier buildings underneath.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Re: Clifornia Screamin' - "extreme"

hehe... I don't think I'd ever use "extreme" when describing California Screamin'
    Except for that "extreme"ly lame ending (a downward helix into a brake run), it's a fairly tame, but fun ride.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt
    hehe... I don't think I'd ever use "extreme" when describing California Screamin'
    Except for that "extreme"ly lame ending (a downward helix into a brake run), it's a fairly tame, but fun ride.
    Spoken like someone with the word "coaster" in their username. I personally wouldn't call Screamin' all that extreme by comparison to other coasters, either, but you gotta realize, for some people, any roller coaster is extreme, and that's not a bad thing.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Spoken like someone with the word "coaster" in their username. I personally wouldn't call Screamin' all that extreme by comparison to other coasters, either, but you gotta realize, for some people, any roller coaster is extreme, and that's not a bad thing.
    Absolutely. While I'm definitely one who craves something faster/longer/loopier, my girlfriend has a problem with things like Mulholland Madness and Primeval Whirl (although the latter plays on several fears). She flat-out refused to go on Screamin' because of the loop, although even I think that it is not the most extreme one I've been on. Still, it is a good coaster for the most part - but I can't help but agree with CoasterMatt about that brake at the end. Such an anti-climax...
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Absolutely. While I'm definitely one who craves something faster/longer/loopier, my girlfriend has a problem with things like Mulholland Madness and Primeval Whirl (although the latter plays on several fears).
    I've been on some of the most intense roller coasters I've heard of, like Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, but the only one that makes me sick is Primeval Whirl. Spinning roller coasters are not fun.

• Sock Puppet

I thought it was funny too to see "extreme" on Screamin'. I think it was in that count-down because, according to the piece, Screamin' is the fourth longest coaster in the US. I never knew that...

• Mrs. J. Depp

For me, California Screamin is as extreme as it gets. Parks with so called "extreme" coasters like Six Flags and Knotts give me splitting headaches and I can't ride them at all. So needless to say, extreme for myself is California Screamin and thats fine by me! I don't have any kind of death wish.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

I wouldn't call California Screamin' extreme either (this is coming from someone who refuses to go on TOT.)
    Its not too much, not too little, it's just right!

• DCA FTW!

Re: California Screamin' - "extreme"

Clifornia Screamin' Extreme?? LMAO...
    Screamin' is about as extreme as Revolution at Six Flags and thats the smallest/oldest coaster in the park.

Although it is my favorite coaster at the Resort it's hardly extreme. Good air time on bunny hills, decent drop and a pretty standard loop. I do agree that it has an anti climatic ending but it could have been worse. Besides the bunny hills are towards the end and those are pretty fun.

Oh and on a side note, you have to ride in the front. The first hill after the launch gives you great air time.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Circle of Ancients

I find it HILARIOUS that they included Goliath and Titan which are pretty much the same coaster except for an extra helix. And also Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka which are essentially the same except Kingda Ka is a little taller and has an extra hill into it's break run.

And Superman at Magic Mountain???

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I find it HILARIOUS that they included Goliath and Titan which are pretty much the same coaster except for an extra helix. And also Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka which are essentially the same except Kingda Ka is a little taller and has an extra hill into it's break run.

And Superman at Magic Mountain???
    Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. In some ways, I'd say Matterhorn is more extreme than California Screamin' - Matterhorn has some wicked laterals, especially on the Tomorrowland side. I like that they used a circa 1979 picture of the Beast at King's Island, too.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• I lurk, therefore I am.

I would have probably done a spit-take if I had come across Screamin' on the "extreme" coasters list. The only time I've been able to ride Screamin' was a few days after a trip to Magic Mountain, and I was kinda disappointed after riding the MM coasters. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not ridden Riddlers Revenge half a dozen times in a row.

• Senior Minion

Of course everything's relative, and if you don't like thrill rides in general, then you might think Screamin' is extreme, but really as modern coasters go it is pretty mellow. I'm a coaster fan, but some of the rides they've come out with in the last few years like Tatsu at SFMM really are extreme, even for me.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

I don't know if I'd call Matterhorn extreme, definitely more jarring and bumpy, but I think extreme is a bit of a stretch. I'd actually say that Splash is extreme within the flume ride world, and actually not far away from Screamin' with regard to overall thrills.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Screamin' happens to be the exact level of wildness I like...um, so I like it

If you put it in SFMM, it would seem mild compared to the other big coasters, but IMHO it is the most physically intense coaster in the DLR.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast