Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Re: An ex-Jack Sparrow spills on life at the Magic Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post

Don't worry about the points system. It's actually quite lenient, and like I mentioned a few days ago, it's fairly hard to get termed because of points. It is fine for those who are responsible, it screws those who aren't.

and the "negative attention" that Jack gets isn't new to the parks- the princesses get it on a daily basis. Disney does try to curb this, and there are consequences for guests who take it way too far (and get reported), but it will never go away. BUT Disney won't pull the princesses just because of that, and they wouldn't pull Jack because of that either
    After reading littlecrickets statement above, I feel a lot more at ease about it.

Jack's a great character and a great guest interaction, but I can still see some Disney folks getting upset because he's not exactly a "family" oriented character, which was why I'm worried they'd take him away eventually. That, and not many people tend to think Jack Sparrow when they think Disneyland (although, people could argue they think 'pirates' when they think Disneyland) which was why I stated on his longevity at the park.

Personally, from reading this article and how much they made him dull down his act, if they continue to do it to the point where Jack is no longer Jack but a fragment of what he once was, I'd almost rather have them take Jack away. Then again, most of the Jack's I've seen at the park are creative and talented enough to think of very clever ways around their character limitations and keep the spirit of Captain Jack alive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Long Live Jack Sparrow. He gives a lot of color to the park.

...now if only they'd bring around Barbosa, it would be fun to see the two interact.

• ...lurks...

Read it before, just read it again - love the article. By the way Jack....

"My Peanut"

• TheXDisneyCaptain

Sorry guys been away for awhile got kind of busy, but I’m back so I can reply to some of these. BTW if this has now become old news and boring let me know, I don’t want keep making this thread hot if no one cares anymore. I just remembered this thread because tonight I am throwing a Jack Sparrow party tonight at a pub we all love, Because today was the last day for Jack Sparrow in the park. I am throwing it for me plus the other 2 that hired in with me, and the 3 others I trained before I left. There was a total of 4 Jacks not counting me who are now out of a job. Kind of sucks, and let me tell you why. So as I am sure some of you know, Disneyland does random counts on how many people come to see the characters. (if you have ever seen a host with a counter in there hand, that is what they are doing) Well Disney decided to do a count this summer on Jack, (keep in mind if your count is low, they take away the character to cut there budget) now they decided to do this after they moved him the crappy island. Now I don’t know about you, but ever time I went over there, there was no line what so ever, but back when we were in New Orleans square, the line went forever, so of course when you through jack in a hard to/time consuming place to get to, your lines will no longer be long or big. ( most people didn’t even know Jack sparrow was even there in the park!) There stupid idea of turning the island failed and NOW my friends are out of a job! Another reason why I should not only have not been fired, but why I should have ran for Disney president! Sometime you gotta ask, who the hell is running that place and why are they so stupid and uncaring on the inside, then fake being caring on the outside. Grrrrrrr sorry just had to vent. But if you guys get bored and want Jack Sparrow back in the park, you can got to city hall and write a complaint on how you want Jack back it will help.

Ok back to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    He wasn't even dressed in his park costume, but his own.
    I know right!?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I'm hardly sympathetic to lots of Disney policies and practices but you're a bit off-target in some of your claims.

Quality workers follow the rules and don't miss or arrive late to shifts in large enough numbers to accumulate points worthy of the ultimate discipline.

Leads don't schedule CM shifts, Scheduling does. If someone has a schedule conflict and especially on a repetitive basis then they need to work with scheduling. Leads are responsible for the day-to-day operation of something and they work with the resources that the scheduling operations give them.

There IS a great deal of variability in the quality of Disney management - like most workplaces - and sometimes they screw up some procedures. If that's the case, the worker needs to take it to the union. But the dating issue is NOT a company policy. As to behaviors, there are specific rules about what a CM can and should do on-stage and they are well promulgated. However, given a character who is defined as a free-spirit, in that case they should cut some slack.

The disciplinary process simply doesn't work as you imply. If you're injured or seriously ill then you need to contact your manager as soon as you reasonably can and in such cases since you are very likely to have medical care involved, it is easy to document the situation and often a leave of absence can be arranged. The one thing you cannot do is simply let a circumstance continue and accumulate points on the assumption that you can work out the problem once you have already have reached a firing level. CM's have to be proactive about their situation whatever the reasons.

The unfortunate fact is that Casting lies. That is, they tell you scheduling can be worked out when they actually have no control and little influence over that (unless you are hired specifically with a classification that states your availability). The only absolute control is with scheduling and you need to work with them. Unfortunately, that sometimes doesn't work well enough and, well, then Disney isn't the place for you and you should resign and work elsewhere to preserve your re-hireability until you can live within the system.

I'm not entirely sympathetic to the author of the article. He was told that there were issues with appearing in persona on stage outside of his job and he made an assumption on the margins of that policy. He should have erred on the side of caution rather than making a personal interpretation and acting upon it. And it appears that the capper was that he allowed himself to appear to the press.
    I am really starting to think this guy is Michael Eisner!

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    All of that wasn't shocking except for a few points:

- I understand the picture of him as Jack and his girlfriend as Ariel kissing is very much a no-no but it was on his personal MySpace, so some one who he thought was his close friend saw it and ratted him out. Who are these people? Jeez.

- He went to he premier in his own costume and wasn't Jack Sparrow, he was a guest in a pirate costume. He probably should have ignored the press even if they were just interviewing him as a guest, but eh.

- The way Disney fired him was very unprofessional.
    The name of the evil girl is *took out her name its a certain lead (had to take it out for rules and such, its cool she is a bitter and lonely girl who is probly not as happy as me now anyway), she is evil ugly on the outside and in! She is a lead at Disney so if you see a name tag with that name on it through a tomato at her lol Well a durty look from you would be cool too lol

Quote Originally Posted by SingingAngel7242 View Post
    this article has made me speechless...i honestly don't know what to say. I mean, i've heard horrible things as Disney as employers but WOW! I have so much respect for this guy
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee D View Post
    If you aren't keeping track of your points, they can fire you whenever it suits them. My son was working his winter break time and went in on the last day of his 3 weeks before he headed back for college to talk about working during his spring break and he was told he reached his point total a week and 1/2 before (car accident on the 91) and to turn his things in. So he had reached the total, between the car accident one day and his neck/back pain the next day and they still used him for another week before letting him go. And the thing about the college kids being scheduled during the days and times they say they have class, totally true. You rack up those points pretty quick when that happens. Its just not a good job for a full time student anymore. Anyone else notice the changing demographics? My daughter worked at The Aquarium of the Pacific last summer and they were great when she needed to go to college orientation or take a placement test, no problems at all. A really different and supportive atmosphere for the college kids.
    That sucks! sounds about right tho

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I looked it up on IMDB and here's his profile on there. Looks NOTHING like Johnny Depp or Capt Jack to me!

Brandon Hillock
    Here is a photo of me taking only 3 weeks ago to give you an idea. My head shots just got change on imdb. The ones you saw where old. About to open the door to Johnny Depp impersonating I hope this instills a little more confidents in me .

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Skellington View Post
    Interesting article. I've always know Disney was tough. I remember when I was in college getting my degree in Graphic Design and would here from the students that interned about how strict they were. Couldn't even draw a logo on a napkin at dinner because they owned anything you did is what I heard. Don't know the total truth to that though.

I think that Brandon guy has the right eyes for Sparrow.
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    I think it to be wise and respectful to let this thread be closed and the article be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Why?

It's an L.A. Times article and a thread talking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    "off-Topic"

If your a steadily working actor raking in the chips with a role on a television show, what is the point of working at an amusement park?
    DUDE are you kidding!? Its Captain Jack Sparrow! I worked 2 days out of each month on Veronica Mars because they would compress my scenes on each episode into one day, so they wouldn’t have to pay for more then one day of work. SO what do I do with the rest of the month? Yes I could have lived just off the TV show alone but as I have said I love acting on stage, and live, AND playing one of the coolest characters invented by my idol. and as someone said, we actors take work where ever we can. one day was cool the whole cast of Veronica Mars took a trip to Disney and cam and visited me and could not believe the difference in Watching me as Deputy Sacks for 2 years then seeing me play Jack Sparrow. It was probably the most proudest days I had ever had as an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    Here are some cruddy ones of him in his own Capt. Jack Costume the night of the POTC: At Worlds End Premiere that he paid almost $3,000 dollars to go to for himself and Ariel.... You know the one that lead to him being fired...

Somewhere I do have some more pictures of him however I can't access them right now... When I get home I will post them...
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR THESE LOVE! I love getting these photos from other people getting to see the other side of the photo I was taking. I was videoing in this shot actually. I will have to put that up.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    I would be willing to be part of a letter writing campaign to help this guy get his job back. But I doubt it would do any good. I also wouldn't know where to start.

I, too, remember this Jack and he was a real pro, imho. I always looked forward to seeing him. This article makes me sad.

There are 2 sides to every story, of course. But the bottom line is that this guy was a quality player and they tossed him out like a number.

PS. Don't be fooled by IMDB profiles. I have more credits than this guy does. Trust me, it means nothing.

SF

Thank, obviously your an actor you clearly understand.

ps what’s your name I would like to look up you imdb. done anything I would know?

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Great article. And I went to this premiere and remember seeing him! I was right at the front to the right of the pictures above.

What I don't get is him getting fired cuz he was in his OWN costume! He was off the Disney clock, not taking autographs saying he was Jack...he was just in costume. Everyone was in Jack costumes that night! Heck even Lauren Holly's son was in costume...see:

It's kinda like Disney wants to control their employees on AND off the clock and that seems wrong to me. Then again, I'm sure that Disney kinda demands a certain persona from their employees even off the clock because they are kinda representing the company all the time. I dont' know what to think but it was a very good article.
    YEs they have to OWN you, in and out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpTwister View Post
    So this guy is paid to be an 'official' Jack Sparrow at Disneyland... and he thinks it's OK to show up at an official POTC event (about as official as you can get - the freakin' movie premiere, AT Disneyland), and stroll very the same areas where he works in his own Jack Sparrow costume?

He is clearly an idiot, and got what he deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I don't see the logic in what you're saying. He wasn't claiming or indicating that he was a cast member; for all anybody knew, he was just another big POTC fan who had the right costume and the right looks. He was not representing the company, since no one would have any reason to think he was working for them. Why would Disney hire Jack Sparrow face characters for that event when the real Johnny Depp would be there already? Letting him go on that...it just strikes me as ridiculous.

Wow...you think maybe that's just slightly harsh? Even if he'd been specifically prohibited from doing this sort of thing beforehand and he did it anyway, that'd make him disobedient, not idiotic.
    Thanks for the back up on this one Datameister, clearly SimpTwister feels he has to throw the word idiot around allot due to the fact that he hears it allot, proof alone is in his statement.

K my next page is page 7 of this lol be back
    Last edited by DeadMenDoTellTails; 11-16-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on what happened! I'm sorry that you lost your job before I got a chance to see you. I took my daughter last December, and meeting the Jack Sparrow character was such a thrill for her. I think it is silly to remove the character when it is so popular. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors, and I will really miss the Jack Sparrow character when we visit again this August!

Debbie

PS - You look very much like Johnny Depp from the picture you posted above.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

This is why I can't work for Disney.

• pinkninja

i remember reading the article way back when and i loved it! and also extremely sad to see him go because he was the best jack sparrow i've seen!

i also recall seeing him there at the pirates premiere! the crowd was chanting for jack sparrow's attention and he corrected them, "CAPTAIN jack sparrow" lolz i wonder if i can find those photos now...i REALLY wanted a photo with the captain too, but of course so did the thousands of other die hard fans who showed up lolz

Anyhoo DeadMenDoTellTails...are any of these photos of you?

HARK! in the Park - Disneyland Themed Days
    Follow @HARKinthePark

dollybeast

flickr

twitter

oh hai~~ *face fills with happiness*

• "I Break Things"

Well that was a fun read. I hadn't previously read the article so thank you for the link. I read the majority of this from beginning to end. I think most of it was fairly well covered. Presenteism can work, but the issue was that the Company changed the rules without giving any exceptions or warning. There was no "trial period". They were still having issues with the clocks registering correctly and CDS's ability to assign breaks/lunches but that didn't stop them. There was also the issue of the "working suspension". All of this has been discussed over and over. In many cases even responsible individuals lost their jobs, several filed grievances and got them back.

To Jack, I am sorry... sorry you were caught in a bad loop and sorry someone ratted you out. The Jungle had similar issues at one point.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Following the Second Star

I really don't understand why you were fired for the premiere thing. There's a guy on youtube who's a Jack Sparrow impersonator (Toby Markham/Sithcamaro) and he did stuff like that in his costume, and never got in trouble for it. Sure, he didn't work at Disneyland, but he was doing the same things as you. If you got fired for it, he should've gotten approached and told that he can't do that.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• TheXDisneyCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by bubblesung View Post
    i remember reading the article way back when and i loved it! and also extremely sad to see him go because he was the best jack sparrow i've seen!

i also recall seeing him there at the pirates premiere! the crowd was chanting for jack sparrow's attention and he corrected them, "CAPTAIN jack sparrow" lolz i wonder if i can find those photos now...i REALLY wanted a photo with the captain too, but of course so did the thousands of other die hard fans who showed up lolz

Anyhoo DeadMenDoTellTails...are any of these photos of you?

The first ones me luv

O and I just have to share this with you all, Iím sure you have all herd of the new Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland And Johnny Depp being the Mad hatter. so my assistant (Lizzy)just sent me this because I have been having her scout to find me a shot of the Mad Hatter costume so I can get a head start on it. Well here it be. I think very inspired by Marlin Manson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Thanks for the updates, Brandon! I am glad the Dead men do tell tales!

Oh, thanks for a preview of Depp's Mad Hatter!!!! Wow! THAT is definitely a scoop!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMenDoTellTails View Post
    BTW if this has now become old news and boring let me know, I don’t want keep making this thread hot if no one cares anymore.
    It's old news, and it's boring. Yes, please let the thread die.

Especially if you're going to be immature like this-

The name of the evil girl is ********, she is evil ugly on the outside and in! She is a lead at Disney so if you see a name tag with that name on it through a tomato at her lol Well a durty look from you would be cool too lol
    And only look for sympathy and people who side with you, like this-

Thank, obviously your an actor you clearly understand.
    Or tell lies, like this-

YEs they have to OWN you, in and out of work.
    And just a bit of advice-
    People who live in glass houses should not throw stones... There's no need to insult others' intelligence especially when your posts have not exactly proven your own.

But hey, do with it what you'd like

Thanks for the back up on this one Datameister, clearly SimpTwister feels he has to throw the word idiot around allot due to the fact that he hears it allot, proof alone is in his statement.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    This is why I can't work for Disney.
    Nah, this is why people who don't understand (or simply have no regard for) rules can't work for Disney. Don't let the opinions of the disgruntled influence your opinions- remember that they are not the majority, simply the most vocal.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-16-2008 at 07:33 PM.

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMenDoTellTails View Post
    OH GAWD. NO. EW. JUST NO. He looks like a terrible drag queen. Just...ew. If Hatter becomes known for THAT, I will cry.

Sorry JD fans, Hatter fan here says no.
    Last edited by Dreamer20k; 11-16-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• "I Break Things"

Nah, this is why people who don't understand (or simply have no regard for) rules can't work for Disney. Don't let the opinions of the disgruntled influence your opinions- remember that they are not the majority, simply the most vocal.
    This will land me in a rather large pile but I thought I would offer this insight. Disney was considered by many to be a great "family" job, and had an extremely high retention until 1984. It was not uncommon for individuals to be "seasonal" for 2 years or more before a position opened up. After the strike things began to slide, but even as late as 1998 you would find individuals throughout the park with 10, 15, even 20 years. It was specifically Presenteeism that weeded out a lot of the older cast. Now it is practically a scavenger hunt to find a 5 year pin. Every so many years they have a "house cleaning" it just happened that Presenteeism cut deeply into the CM numbers. At one point the "majority" were those not working for the park, as the park had difficulty filling most positions.

I do not agree with name dropping, or with banter unless one knows the other well (evidently the two of you do not know each other well... if I had said similar things about Data he would have laughed and fired back). But I also do not agree with an individual being "ratted out" as several of my friends were lost in this manner. Likewise I don't agree with the manner in which the individual was terminated. I am not familiar with his contract, a quick glance would tell if he was in the "right" or in the "wrong". I have worked with the company long enough to know what they can and can't do. If he chose not to fight it then that was his decision BUT he may have been able to do so had he chosen that path.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Golden State of Mind

This was very interesting.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• TheXDisneyCaptain

It's old news, and it's boring. Yes, please let the thread die.

Especially if you're going to be immature like this-

And only look for sympathy and people who side with you, like this-

Or tell lies, like this-

And just a bit of advice-
    People who live in glass houses should not throw stones... There's no need to insult others' intelligence especially when your posts have not exactly proven your own.

But hey, do with it what you'd like

Ok A: I have never told anyone NOT to work at Disney, I have clearly stated the pluses of working there and how I miss it, but the things like what they are doing to with the Jack Sparrows sucks and you know it. And if you don’t and you agree with what everything Disney does to its cast members then I am very sorry that you are that brain washed.

and B:
    Obviously you’re just one of "*K* this lead" small hand full of friends and could be just as much of a psycho so I am not going to even acknowledge your presence nor your posts and I’m not going to let this conversation flare any further. Trust me I am not the only one who is not a fan of her, and in time you will know what I am talking about.
    Last edited by DeadMenDoTellTails; 11-16-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast