Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google/Live maps and udpates

Since so many MiceChatters are into imagineering and how the parks are laid out, I thought we should have a thread where we talk about satellite and bird's eye views of Disneyland and the resort, as well as changes to images, etc.

For instance, I just noticed that Google Maps now has a photo of DCA showing construction of TSMM. This is the first I noticed it. Does anyone know when it updated. The ride building is complete and the themed front is just being erected.

http://maps.google.com/?t=k&om=1&ie=...08237,0.013132

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

• =)

Re: Google/Live maps and udpates

Ah, excellent thread idea! I don't know when it was updated, but it was sometime just in the last week or two. Google Earth had been featuring that photo for longer, but I'm not sure how long. Yep, new in that photo are a completed FNSV, TSMM construction, and additions to the roofs of Pirates, HM, and IASW. In terms of quality, it's still vastly inferior to the Disneyland photos (both "aerial" and "bird's eye") on maps.live.com, but it's nice to have a more recent photo for reference.

I'm surprised the construction of the additional wing at GCH is not already underway in this new photo.

I agree the quality of the Live maps, especially the amazing bird's eye view, is much better. I wonder how often they udpate.

I can answer as to when the old Google maps picture was taken (I posted this on another board a few months ago:

It must be between January 18st, 2006 and February 20th, 2006. If it were late 2005 there would be Christmas decorations up, and It's a Small World was closed January 4 18, 2006, but it is clearly open in this picture. By February 20th they had started ripping up the Sub track in order to start construction on the new show building in the lagoon. Therefore, the picture must've been taken sometime Between January 18th, 2006 and February 20th, 2006.
    I'll work on pinning down the new image.

Here is what I have for Google Maps. Can anyone correct me on these dates?

I know it was taken after May 22nd, 2007 given the picture of the Toy Story construction at http://[Link to unauthorized site removed].net/wcPhoto.php?upd=1&image=8376

The Mark Twain is clearly being refurbished in those pictures, but Tom Sawyer's Island is open. The subs are finished but not yet open (given that all the subs are outside and there are no lines). The queue poles haven't yet been set up near the Matterhorn for the subs. There is a construction wall around Monstro in Storybook Land. These are the dates I have:

Mark Twain Refurb: March 13th - ??? (scheduled for May 25, but still closed as of May 31st)

Tom Sawer Island: Closed Feb 5th - May 24th, 2007

Monstro refurb: Started before May 31st - Ended before June 7th

Extended queue for subs: Installed before June 4th

Therefore, as far as I can tell, the current Google Maps picture was taken between 05/25/07-06/04/07

If anyone has more dated pictures, we could narrow this further!

• =)

Google Earth gives October 23, 2007 as the date of the Disneyland photo they currently use. I don't know what's up with the subs, though--maybe they closed down for just a day or two at some point?

October 23rd is the day that that data set was completed. They usually compile a year's worth of pictures at a time, and they all get the same date in Google's system.

There's no way those pictures were taken that late given the progress of Toy Story, the green tarp over the Mark Twain, and the walls around Monstro.

• =)

October 23rd is the day that that data set was completed. They usually compile a year's worth of pictures at a time, and they all get the same date in Google's system.
    Ah, that's a pity. There I was, hoping the dates would be accurate to when the photos were taken. Not that I'm doubting you or anything, but could I ask how you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Ah, that's a pity. There I was, hoping the dates would be accurate to when the photos were taken. Not that I'm doubting you or anything, but could I ask how you know this?
    It was posted in the official Google Earth blog a while back -- I can't find the link now.

• =)

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

I'm such a geek, I love stuff like this! Thanks for the links and updates on the aerial shots!!!

BTW, you all know about the aerial posters and calendars from Sky Magic right? I buy the theme park calendar every year and have the DL/DCA poster as well. PM me if anyone's interested in the link, otherwise this thread might end up in the Community Outpost.

• On A Disney World Tour...

It's been updated a couple month ago along with Lyon (my home town) and most of Tokyo). It's paler than the previous scan, but it's more recent.
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    I'm such a geek, I love stuff like this! Thanks for the links and updates on the aerial shots!!!

BTW, you all know about the aerial posters and calendars from Sky Magic right? I buy the theme park calendar every year and have the DL/DCA poster as well. PM me if anyone's interested in the link, otherwise this thread might end up in the Community Outpost.
    Their stuff is awfully expensive -- $25 for a poster? They seem to be using USGS aerial photography which is free and public domain. I made up a couple aerial photography posters myself using the BIGjpeg feature of USAPhotoMaps (the program is a bit confusing, after using the "Go To" menu you have to press "U" to switch to color pictures, "F" to have them actually download, and then after panning and zooming using the arrow keys and the +/- keys go to "File">"Create a BIG jpeg file..."). I then had them printed by AdoramaPix at 11 x 14 for $2.49 during a sale (those prints are on sale again now through Memorial Day). I did have one done at poster size at fullsizeposters.com fir $4.29 as well.

• =)

You can alternatively use terraserver-usa.com, as well. The Disneyland photo is, again, vastly inferior to the maps.live.com one, but it has its uses.

Quote Originally Posted by ahecht View Post
    The Mark Twain is clearly being refurbished in those pictures, but Tom Sawyer's Island is open. The subs are finished but not yet open (given that all the subs are outside and there are no lines). The queue poles haven't yet been set up near the Matterhorn for the subs. There is a construction wall around Monstro in Storybook Land. These are the dates I have:

Tom Sawer Island: Closed Feb 5th - May 24th, 2007

Extended queue for subs: Installed before June 4th

Therefore, as far as I can tell, the current Google Maps picture was taken between 05/25/07-06/04/07

Looking at that last picture showing the extended subs queue installed, I noted that if you examine the EXIF data the picture was actually taken May 31st, 2007. Therefore, the Google Maps picture was taken between 05/25/07-05/30/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast