Question Memorial Day 2008 Flag Retreat/ceremony at DL

Hello,
    I was Just wondering if there is anything special planned for this Memorial Day 2008 at Disneyland in honor or our Fallen Soldiers?

Last year a fellow mice chatter let me know about the "Tolling of the Bells" ceremony at Seal Beach which was very very moving. One month later while waiting in line for the then newly opened Finding Nemo Attraction I had the very very special honor of waiting in line with a true American Hero and Survivor of the bombing of Pearl Harbor a Sailor from the U.S.S Arizona! That was one of the most special days I have ever had at Disneyland.

So here we are one year later Memorial day 2008, If you have any information about the Flag retreat for this years Memorial Day at DL or any information about where some of the very special services will be held around Southern California please post here. Unfortunately this information is still hard to find via google.

Thanks and may God Bless our Service Men, Women, Families and especially those who have fallen.
    God Bless America!
    Last edited by CAspace; 05-22-2008 at 10:02 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Memorial Day 2008 Flag Retreat/ceremony at DL

If there is a flag ceremony at the beginning of the day (?), then the flag should be raised to the top, then lowered to half-mast.

At noon, the flag should be raised back to the top.

That is, if Disneyland is to observe proper flag etiquette. Not to suggest that it doesn't, of course.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Does anyone have any information on any other local Memorial Day ceremonies for 2008?
    Thanks so much!

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Most cemetaries have memorial Day ceremonies. The Forrest Lawn in the Hollywood Hills usually has a big one.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• Minion

its usually around 4 very moving brought tears to my eyes get there early to get a seat ask a cast member if ur kids can be part of the ceremony they do pick a couple kids for a part at the end... woth seeing by far

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Does anyone have any information on any other local Memorial Day ceremonies for 2008?
    Thanks so much!
    You can go here to find events in California:

MEMORIAL DAY CALENDAR
    Last edited by TikiRoomLiz; 05-24-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: fixed link

Thanks Friends for the information!

TikiRoomLiz, the link you posted does not seem to work for me, it presents me with some LAUSD login window. hmmm, perhaps that is a internal website?

• Drunken Disneyland Master

I do not really know about this year, but two years ago they had a flag folding with Vetrans from World War II and the Iraqi war folding the flag for those who have fallen; three Vetrans on each side.

It was very moving, edmotional, and was the highlight of my day to share it with my wife and son. It was well worth my price of admission to witness this event.

Wow Dave, that sounds incredible. Glad you got to experience that and very touched by the thought of that Flag Retreat.

• Minion

I'm probably going...my other teenage friends aren't going to want to "waste" their time, but I'm dragging them. If they don't want to, they can go on Space Mountain while I'm being respectful to the people who died for our country. I really enjoy the flag lowering. It's very patriotic! Exactly what Walt wanted.
    The daydream princess

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Thanks Friends for the information!

TikiRoomLiz, the link you posted does not seem to work for me, it presents me with some LAUSD login window. hmmm, perhaps that is a internal website?
    Sorry about that, I was at work and copied the link from an e-mail ... which is probably why that happened. Fixed it now.

Thumbs up Re: Memorial Day 2008 Flag Retreat/ceremony at DL

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar68 View Post
    I'm probably going...my other teenage friends aren't going to want to "waste" their time, but I'm dragging them. If they don't want to, they can go on Space Mountain while I'm being respectful to the people who died for our country. I really enjoy the flag lowering. It's very patriotic! Exactly what Walt wanted.
    During the standard year the Main Street Flag Retreat is some of the only places I can truly get my patriotic fix in, with the marching band playing American hymns and the respect given to our service men and women by calling them up to the flag, it really in very special and the Cast Members who lead the retreat are mostly veterans as well.

TikiLiz, Thanks for updating the link!
    Last edited by CAspace; 05-25-2008 at 07:48 AM.

• Minion

^Exactly why I love it! The last time I went there was a soldier who had just come home, and wanted to go to DL with his family. It was very touching.
    The daydream princess

• "I Break Things"

I am considering attending tomorrow, I will stay away from the majority of SoCal offerings because I am not one for tremendous flag waving. This may sound strange, but in some respects I can be a very private person and this is one of them. I am proud of my service, and proud of those who chose and continue to choose to serve this country. Best of luck to all and Happy Memorial Day everyone.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"