Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Creating a Victorian Paradise Pier

I just read a post by Baloo on K_peek’s Hot Dog stand thread and he made an excellent point about PP needing a candy store. I thought this was a really good idea and it made me think, what other key ingredients are missing from PP to really give it the Victorian era boardwalk feel that they’re going for?

I’ve always thought that PP needs more happening to give it some life, especially to the midway games area. I really like the ODV they’ve added, and obviously TSMM is going to really help bring life over there, but there’s still going to be some dead space from the Ferris wheel to the back corner. What else needs to be put in to create the level of realism and environment that immediately conveys the locale to the guests? I’m primarily thinking in terms of themed retail and dining, but I’d love to hear your suggestions for attractions too.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Imaginative Possibilities

Re: Creating a Victorian Paradise Pier

Their needs to be entertainment, sidewalk performers, carnival acts, The use of the lagoon would be perfect for whats missing as well... maybe add some surfers, or the boats that pulled the skiers that would position themselves in pyramids and such. Theres alot of potential...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• "I Break Things"

Somewhere on here I did a rather extensive commentary about Santa Cruise, Pike, and lack of a boardwalk at Paradise Pier.

EDIT: locked... but here it is
    Paradise Pier,Pike, Santa Cruz, Santa Monica, and other Boardwalks.

I also realized some of the picture links are broken... my fault for hotlinking when I didn't know better... I will try to track down some pictures and post them on here.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-27-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Thanks Skip,

I knew that this had been discussed somewhere before...
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

One of the pictures was broken because the site went under... but I wanted to list what I feel a Boardwalk needs to be a Boardwalk

Coin-Operated photo booths- I mentioned this before, and I will say it again. The old photo booths scream carnival, fun, boardwalk, it is a quick/cheap souvenir and fits the theme beautifully!

Bumper Cars- screams Boardwalk, and there are a number of Disney movies that could easily be the "inspiration" if a direct tie-in is needed.

Swinging Ship- I had initially proposed to move the carousel out to a more prominent position, and add the swinging ship in where it would easily fit. These two could be co-themed as Little Mermaid without much difficulty.

Skee-ball... and Penny Arcade... these are classics, this is Boardwalk at it's finest.

Funhouse- again, classic Boardwalk, and again easily themed to a specific movie (Pinocchio or Dumbo take your pick) This would also add a much needed dark ride element.

Slide- Sorry... after seeing various pictures of it, I am convinced we need a 5 story Bamboo Slide like the old Pike... 5 stories... sorry I need it!

Paddle Boats- there really really needs to be something in that lagoon during the day, this could be a very simple way to add activity, and it could be guided like the old motor boat cruises.

As to what is currently there, ditch jellyfish, silver cigars, and the drop towers. Re-theme maddness to a classic mouse coaster. If you really wanted to salvage the towers, then design a parachute type attraction themed around hot air balloons (big deal to Victorians). As to CA Screamin' I would say name change, new paintjob (that is cars and tracks) and ditch the wave thingy. I am not a huge fan of the loop but as is, too expensive to remove it! Another point of contention... there is a lot of space beneath Screamin which looks like a barren wasteland. I would rather have a more appropriate wall then the current chain link fence. That, or do something with the space. I am not sure if structures could be built in that area, but that would be a possible alternative, and allow at least a little more real estate to what should be a very cramped section of the park (Boardwalks were always crowded sections of the beach).

I also think a yearly Sand Castle Competition would be in order. Possibly the weekend after Memorial Day Weekend... so as not to impose on the reasons for Memorial Day. I have seen Sand Castle competitions in various local malls, some of these massive sculptures are AMAZING... and it would be fun to invite various groups to build... think of it as eye candy and beach atmosphere.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-28-2008 at 12:56 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think it should have skee-ball, bumper cars, and a stand that sells freshly dipped chocolate covered bananas and ice cream bars (none of this pre-packaged Nestle junk)

• I'm not really here

I love the idea of a sand castle competition. That would really rock.
    I think having some kind of musical group doing period music (kind of like the pearl band in Fantasyland) would really be neat as well. Able to walk around and just create interaction and atmosphere.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mrs. J. Depp

GREAT ideas Techskip!! I'd say yes to the bumper cars except that I think Bugs Land already has some type of bumper car ride. And the photo booth, awesome! I also love the Jolly Roger/swinging ship rides, those are such fun! I could very easily see a Pleasure Island themed funhouse. And an old fashioned candy shop with original salt water taffy (not the crap Disney calls taffy) and old tyme candy would be classic. I can't provide much more input, these are some fantastic ideas. Oh and and i think the reason the "barren" areas underneath Screamin' aren't used is for safety reasons. But at the very least there should be a cute white fence.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Thanks Skip,

I really like your ideas. I also read most of your previous thread last night and you and some other people had a lot of good ideas as well.
    -Walt Disney

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Creating a Victorian Paradise Pier

Great ideas! Yes to bumper cars and a slide. They could also hav jet skiers in the lagoon doing shows. Oh, and yes, yes, yes to salt water taffy, that would be AWESOME!!!

I've also been thinking about these ideas including a fun house and bumper cars (which I would make into some ride not actual bumper cars). Also, I don't know if it's really Victorian themed but how about some kind of "aquarium". I don't mean a literal aquarium but a pavillion that could contain sea themed rides. Jumpin' Jellyfish could be moved here and maybe bring Crush's Coaster. I'll get more specific with my ideas when i complete my thread on my version of DCA.

Also, how about a flume ride (shoot-the-shoots) like a tunnel of love with two person rows like WDW splash mountain. I know this has been discussed before but i like the idea. Maybe have it would all the disney love couples, but as the ride progresses evil villians threaten their love and the ride climaxes with a large drop into Paradise Bay. The only thing i worry about a bit with this one is the fact that it's really similar to Splash Mountain.

• Senior Minion

FI,
    I don't think that a villains dark flume ride being to much like Splash is really a problem for a few reasons. I mean that's like saying Space Mtn wasn't needed because DL already had Matterhorn and one coaster is enough.

Here's why I think it could be different enough. One, it could be a hybrid flume-coaster, so it would be a different ride system and experience to Splash. Two, it would be a totally different theme then Splash. Three, it would not have to be within a mountain necessarily. Last, Splash is one of the most popular rides at DL, even if it were somewhat simmilar, who cares, it would bring another attraction to DCA that would also be popular.
    -Walt Disney

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I love all of these ideas... and I stand by my favorite--

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    ...and a stand that sells freshly dipped chocolate covered bananas and ice cream bars (none of this pre-packaged Nestle junk)
    A perfect accompaniment to some imaginative and exciting upgrades. Oh and I second the surfers at the Pier.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Great ideas! Yes to bumper cars and a slide. They could also hav jet skiers in the lagoon doing shows. Oh, and yes, yes, yes to salt water taffy, that would be AWESOME!!!
    The lagoon going to have a night Water Show "Wonderful World of Color"
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Lego Peoplemover Priit