Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Red Face Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!! [Golden Dreams]

Sure it was a great movie, but DCA wasn't very popular (many people didn't, couldn't, or wouldn't want to go see it).

On the bright side, we're going to have the world's 1st Little Mermaid ride!!!

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!! [Golden Dreams]

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if only a few dozen people came to see this show in an average day at DCA. I have personally never seen this movie because it just sounds kinda boring to me (I'm the thrill addict here, I'm sorry for that...). It just seems like the type of thing that wouldn't appeal to the kids and the world's first Little Mermaid dark ride would certainly do that. I think if they took anything out, this is the attraction that needs to go.

- Zach

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

I remember when Whoopi Goldberg was hailed as the "MAIN" star in the Superstar Limo attraction, lol that was a riot.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

To go with both of your posts, agreed.

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!![Golden Dreams]

Quote Originally Posted by a-goofy View Post
    I am sorry, but I have been to see it a few times, and I won't miss it at all. I think it would be great if there was a movie about real California history. I teach 4th grade and we spend all year on CA history, so I feel like I have a good grip on it, and the first time I saw this, I couldn't believe how off it was. I went back a couple years later thinking it couldn't be as bad as I had remembered and besides I was more interested in the AC for a few minutes, and it was exactly as I had remembered. I know this sounds like I am venting and I guess I am. I really like the building, but the sooner the movie is gone the better in my opinion.
    How is the film "off"?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It will be Little Mermaid of course! And you do bring a good point about Tiki Room doing much better business. There's disney magic in those enchanted tiki rooms. Golden Dreams is all about Whoopi popping up at all the weirdest spots and then telling us as we leave that she'll be watching.

I actually think it would have been better WITHOUT the stunt casting of Whoopi. And they should have had another movie in there. Kinda like when Circle Vision had America the Beautiful and The Wonders of China.
    It's not Whoopi Goldberg. The character is Queen Calafia, and Goldberg is perfectly cast in the role, in my opinion.

So many people seem to fail to grasp who Calafia is. She is the Amazonian goddess ruler of the mythical island from which California takes its name. The presentation needs to do a better job of mentioning the 15th-Century Spanish novel, The Exploits of Esplandian.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    I could care less. I have no respect for the America hating Whoopie Goldberg, so if it means her loosing out in some way, I say all the better.
    Whoopi Goldberg hates America? What basis do you have to make such a statement?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    When does the attraction enter Yesterland? I've never seen it and would like to before it is gone. What is the plot?
    You should. It's directed by the great Agniezka Holland.

Essentially, Queen Calafia, the immortal goddess ruler of the mythical California, appears at different times in the history of the State of California to not only draw people to this place but to also inspire them to pursue their dreams here.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

So when does it close for good???
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

I always question people who say that "Golden Dreams" is bad.

How is it bad? It's as good a film about the history of the people who have been drawn to California as any I can imagine. I would have liked a few more appearances by Walt Disney in the finale, and an enclosed and air-conditioned pre-show introducing Queen Calafia would have been nice. But, aside from these minor quibbles, the attraction is one of the few truly Disney things at D.C.A. And, I think the park still needs "Golden Dreams" in one form or another, even after this expansion.

The cycle time is 30 minutes, and there is no countdown clock at the entrance. Guests are forced to stand outside at the doors to enter, and there is nothing to entertain them. Additionally, the attraction doesn't have a very inviting entrance. So, I've never been surprised by the meager attendance for these reasons.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    It's not Whoopi Goldberg. The character is Queen Calafia, and Goldberg is perfectly cast in the role, in my opinion.
    To me, a comedian was NOT the best choice for portraying a legendary Queen. But that's merely a matter of opinion.
    So many people seem to fail to grasp who Calafia is. She is the Amazonian goddess ruler of the mythical island from which California takes its name. The presentation needs to do a better job of mentioning the 15th-Century Spanish novel, The Exploits of Esplandian.
    Here you expose the weakness of the character and her role as 'anchor' to the film: obscurity. Can you really blame the public for not being aware of the origins of California's name when, up until the 1860's, no one was sure until scholars came across the forgotten book (whose full title is): The Exploits of the Very Powerful Cavalier Esplandian, Son of the Excellent King Amadis of Gaul (with a title like that it's no wonder it was easily forgotten)?

I don't hate the film, but I think it's main character was a poor choice for a cinematic foundation. Califia as an incorporated element in the film instead of it's cornerstone would have been a wiser choice IMO. Too esoteric.

I thought that using Queen Calafia as the hostess for this tour of California history was extremely creative. I didn't know about Calafia, myself, until "Golden Dreams." And, when I learned the history behind the way California was given its name, I appreciated the idea even more.

Disney used to make an effort to enlighten, as well as to entertain.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I thought that using Queen Calafia as the hostess for this tour of California history was extremely creative. I didn't know about Calafia, myself, until "Golden Dreams." And, when I learned the history behind the way California was given its name, I appreciated the idea even more.

Disney used to make an effort to enlighten, as well as to entertain.
    One cannot have Calafia in the film without making her the central character? I think her inclusion was vital, but should not have been chosen as the 'common thread' holding the production together.
    Disney used to make an effort to enlighten, as well as to entertain
    I don't see why enlightenment is an issue here. But wouldn't this be a perfect CURRENT example of Disney's comittment to 'enlighten' (Golden Dreams was installed in 2001), instead of evidence that this principle was abandoned? The replacement of GD with The Little Mermaid isn't necesarily a reflection, IMO, of Disney's wholesale aversion to edutainment. GD was not a popular, repeatable attraction to many--a contributory factor could well have been the choices made in scripting and casting the main character. I don't think it's closure is an indictment of either Disney OR the Guests.

I fully understand the reason the attraction is closing, but I think it needs to be preserved in one way or another because the California park needs something to tie the entire experience together.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Combine 2 attractions. Have Golden Dreams and then give our free tortillas at the end of the show. That would get more people to be interested. If we could somehow work the blue dog into say "maseca" in the middle of the movie it would be a smash hit.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast