Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!! [Golden Dreams]

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    So when does it close for good???

Umm... *checks DCA Project Tracker*... probably around '09 or '10.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!![Golden Dreams]

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    It's not Whoopi Goldberg. The character is Queen Calafia, and Goldberg is perfectly cast in the role, in my opinion.

So many people seem to fail to grasp who Calafia is. She is the Amazonian goddess ruler of the mythical island from which California takes its name. The presentation needs to do a better job of mentioning the 15th-Century Spanish novel, The Exploits of Esplandian.

And why do you think people fail to grasp who Calafia is? Because Whoopi Goldberg is Whoopi Goldberg. It's distracting! She's made such a career out of being exactly Whoopi that I can't see her any other way.

I'm not saying she doesn't play the role well... she's just too big of a star to be convincing in any way. It'd be like casting Conan O'Brien for a serious role. Nobody would buy it at this point in time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I fully understand the reason the attraction is closing, but I think it needs to be preserved in one way or another because the California park needs something to tie the entire experience together.
    Agreed. Good point.

I only saw this one time. Back during the preview of DCA before the park opened to the public. I never had any desire to see it again. The only thing I remember is that they blew up a kid. But I understand they removed that scene.

There are a few moments in the movie that make me silently cheer, such as the Durango RR appearance, and Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak inventing the first personal computer with Whoopie handing them an apple when they wonder what to name it (sorry, I'm a long-term Apple ][ & Macintosh geek, so that bit always makes me grin), but I really don't think it ever belonged in that huge auditorium. Maybe put it in a Seasons of the Vine-sized auditorium instead? Or just have it running on a TV screen somewhere, like the Rosie & Colin Show You How To Make Sourdough Bread screens.

From what I gather, originally they wanted to do an audio-animatronics show, like the Hall of Presidents, only showcasing the history of California. Then they kept slashing the budget, to the point that not only did it become yet another (!) movie at DCA, they didn't even have the budget left for any countdown clock, but they kept the big auditorium space designed for the A-A show. Most times I walk by, I can't even really tell if it's open or not.

Great job designing the mock-SF building, but even something more like Innoventions would have been better there, and that's saying something. Maybe it should have been a little California Science & Industry museum in that building when DCA first opened, or a California History museum? There were just way too many movies — 3D/4D Muppets and Bug's Life movies, and movies and video screens showing how tortillas, bread and wine are made, so one more movie, especially an educational one that's too much like one that you might be shown in school, just wasn't ever going to ever be a draw. Really bad planning. But if it were showing on a wall-sized video screen as part of a museum-like exhibit, like the lobby setup in the Main Street Opera House, it would have been better, but not on its own.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    I only saw this one time. Back during the preview of DCA before the park opened to the public. I never had any desire to see it again. The only thing I remember is that they blew up a kid. But I understand they removed that scene.
    What? Was the history of California a little too real for guests?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    What? Was the history of California a little too real for guests?
    There's plenty of History that doesn't need to be shown at any Disney park. If it were only about history we'd be watching "Donald Duck nips the nips" in the Main Street Cinema.

CA Dreams is an adaquate show that only needs to be seen once. This is a good reason why it's on the chopping block to put in a different attraction.

• Closed Account

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!![Golden Dreams]

Quote Originally Posted by a-goofy View Post
    I am sorry, but I have been to see it a few times, and I won't miss it at all. I think it would be great if there was a movie about real California history. I teach 4th grade and we spend all year on CA history, so I feel like I have a good grip on it, and the first time I saw this, I couldn't believe how off it was. I went back a couple years later thinking it couldn't be as bad as I had remembered and besides I was more interested in the AC for a few minutes, and it was exactly as I had remembered. I know this sounds like I am venting and I guess I am. I really like the building, but the sooner the movie is gone the better in my opinion.
    I reiterate Pragmatic's question to you: Exactly how is the movie "off?"

(Aside from using a narrow gauge train to stand in for the real transcontiental trains).

• DCA FTW!

I for one am glad it's leaving. I always felt bad for the CM"s working there. Trying so hard on the loud speaker or by walking up to people to lure them to see the show. Most of them bored out of their minds waiting for some one to come in.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    There's plenty of History that doesn't need to be shown at any Disney park. If it were only about history we'd be watching "Donald Duck nips the nips" in the Main Street Cinema.
    I looked up what you're talking about with donald duck, and the point of the Main Street cinema is to be a showcase of Steamboat Willie. What may or may not be considered legit about a cartoon is a different matter from what sad parts of American history people would like to look away from.

Golden Dreams was a film about the history of California, and the good the bad, the ugly. History isn't perfect and they did a great job showing this in Golden Dreams. If they're going to say something about the history of California, I want all of the facts whether they're nice or not.

Anyways, I may have seen the revised version though- from what I've seen, the kid lit the dynamite on the rock wall but doesn't make it down for some reason -I don't remember why. It's about to explode and his parents are yelling at him to come down, he can't, he's calling out back, fade to white...

Is that the part that's gone? Or was there originally more to that scene?

The version I saw it didn't fade to white. I recall that they showed a kid die in an explosion. A KID. I don't have a problem with that scene (although it doesn’t belong in a Disney park.) I never saw it again because I just didn't like it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    Anyways, I may have seen the revised version though- from what I've seen, the kid lit the dynamite on the rock wall but doesn't make it down for some reason -I don't remember why. It's about to explode and his parents are yelling at him to come down, he can't, he's calling out back, fade to white...

Is that the part that's gone? Or was there originally more to that scene?

I saw the movie 2 months ago and the scene was still there. I don't think it was removed.

• Banned User

Oh ok. Never mind then!

• Closed Account

At least a few Chinese laborors died precisely as you saw in the movie while building the Western portion of the transcontinental railroad, and in other ways not shown. I don't particularly remember the laboror being a child, however.

Ok I just called my wife to make sure I'm not going crazy. They definitely showed the kid blow up. Everybody sacrificed to help build our country.

I remember this because I remember thinking, wow they just blew up a kid.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast