Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!! [Golden Dreams]

That's pretty heavy man!

Yeeeea! I'm not crazy.

For once, the Disney folks have made a theme park attraction that is not sugar coated. It shows the good times and the hard times that people coming to California faced over the years. In fact, one scene was apparently too harsh, as it was removed after the first few months of it's opening in February of 2001. It actually showed a Chinese father and son being killed while working on a railroad. Now, it is just hinted at, without showing the huge explosion, which originally made this film a much more emotional one. I was very sorry to see that scene deleted. The explosion sound used to rock the theater and the emotions.
    Original Source - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241493/usercomments

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    At least a few Chinese laborors died precisely as you saw in the movie while building the Western portion of the transcontinental railroad, and in other ways not shown. I don't particularly remember the laboror being a child, however.
    Yeah. It was an old Chinese man and a kid probably about 12.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    Golden Dreams was a film about the history of California, and the good the bad, the ugly. History isn't perfect and they did a great job showing this in Golden Dreams. If they're going to say something about the history of California, I want all of the facts whether they're nice or not.

Anyways, I may have seen the revised version though- from what I've seen, the kid lit the dynamite on the rock wall but doesn't make it down for some reason -I don't remember why. It's about to explode and his parents are yelling at him to come down, he can't, he's calling out back, fade to white...

Is that the part that's gone? Or was there originally more to that scene?

I was actually disappointed that the scene was cut. I mean, it's not pretty but it happened. Now it's just a fade-away.

Anyhoo, the question isn't about whether or not the film is good or bad. It's just not that fitting for a theme park attraction that is surrounded by carnival rides... at least when the place opened.

I hope they do put it on DVD because it is a part of theme park history that I wouldn't mind watching from time to time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I fully understand the reason the attraction is closing, but I think it needs to be preserved in one way or another because the California park needs something to tie the entire experience together.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Agreed. Good point.
    Doubly agreed. I like Golden Dreams, it reminds me of EPCOT movies.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

its going away casuse ariels cooler then whoopie....not that is hard
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Goofy

It is a very interesting good documentary but it belongs on A&E not on dca.

• Fastest Man Alive

I love it, instant nostalgia. For years nearly everyone has been saying how much of a failure Golden Dreams is. Whoopi is overshadows it, the film is too long, it plays to mostly empty showings, people die etc... But now, that it's days are numbered, all of sudden it is regarded as the most Disney off all the attractions of the park and people are curious why it is being taken out.
    It doesn't pull in good numbers. In guest surveys I'm sure it gets poor marks. And it is in the place of the future Little Mermaid attraction which looks like it is shaping up to be a bonafide D-E Ticket dark ride and be the most incredible addition to DCA outside of Carlsand itself. I'll take that trade anyday.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Banned User

Blog Entries

True, but it would be nice if they could squeeze it into a little theater somewhere. I don't know, maybe take out a SHOP.

Putting a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale in the middle of California is another horrendous idea. And, distorting the replica of the Palace of Fine Arts rotunda into something that is unrelated to the San Francisco original does not make me very happy, either. Many of these plans are haphazard and amateurish attempts to fix problems with D.C.A. that Parks & Resorts still does not fully understand.

The only way D.C.A. will ever succeed is if it becomes stronger, creatively-speaking.

Creativity is the essence of Disney. And, yet, many of the proposals the company has shared with the public thusfar make D.C.A. into an even bigger monstrosity than the park already is.

The planned changes for the entrance are the one saving grace because they will help unify and reconcile the various parts of Disneyland Resort. But, as the park strays farther from attractions in the vein of "Golden Dreams," the more confused and uninteresting the place will become.

• "714"

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!![Golden Dreams]

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    but I still love whoopie though.
    ya shes great! And I think the little mermaid ride will be also.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• I love my family!

I do believe the original concept was for GD to be the same AA full show as the American Adventure at EPCOT but just like the rest of the park budget cuts killed that idea.

Now for the original movie, how can you not like a movie that highlights not only a migrant child being blown up but also the Rodney King beating. I don't know which was a bigger shock, a little too real for your typical Disney attraction.

On it's worth and value to the park, DCA has 4 film based attractions and when compared, it will always be #4 on the list, It never stood a fair chance after the budget was cut so deep. Maybe it can be moved to a smaller theatre but I just don't see that happening.

RIP Golden Dreams, you just never had a chance.

• Minion

This is entirely my opinion, but I have to admit that when I visit the DLR, I really have little interest in going into DCA. So whatever they take out isn't really going to impact me all that much.
    Being born and raised in Southern CA, and knowing the ins and outs of CA geography, culture, history, etc., I'd rather spend my time at Disneyland.
    I just don't have a need to visit a theme park dedicated to it. I live it every day. : )
    I can see where those who visit the DLR, but don't have time to visit the rest of the state, might find it interesting, and different. I admit though that if WDW built a DFA park, I wouldn't be all that interested. I'd stick to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
    DCA just isn't my thing. I spend almost all of my time and money at Disneyland, because that is still the true escape for me. The only time I'll venture into DCA is if my friends want to go on the rollercoaster or Soarin' over CA.
    I'm perfectly happy with Disneyland.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Re: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GO?????!!!!![Golden Dreams]

I will miss it. My kids won't. When is it scheduled to close?

• Minion

Also, I don't think many people go to the Disneyland resort with the intention of seeing a movie. Movies just aren't as engaging as rides.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast