6 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Purple Crates ♥

RideMax? Reviews?

Anyone used this service? http://www.ridemax.com/

Worth it?

• Keepin' it calsteady

Re: RideMax? Reviews?

I know there are a lot of naysayers, but I think Ridemax is great for planning because it makes you actually plan rather than wander aimlessly through the park and end up waiting in longer lines than you need to.

That being said, I'll give you this advice for free:
    1. Fastpasses never expire.

2. As soon as the first FP you get is valid, get a FP for another ride. You don't need to use one FP before getting another.

3. Never wait in line for a ride for which you intend to get a FP. For example, even if the line is short for Space or Splash Mountain first thing in the morning, get a FP and take advantage of the short morning line at something like Pirates that doesn't offer FPs.

4. Hit New Orleans Square rides first thing in the morning or during Fantasmic.

5. Hit Fantasyland late at night.

Have fun!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Interesting, outside of dining I don't think I'd like to have every minute planned, might seem like I may miss something.

I don't mind having the information in my head of course but I like to leave my options open.

I am curious to see if it works however, if you do end up buying it, please let me know if it worked for you.

• Circle of Ancients

I think there are enough DL experts around these parts that you can probably get as good information without RideMax.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

RideMax works well especially on busy days. It also gets you to think about different ways to attack the park that might not be so obvious at first glance.

It has some flaws, it takes some work to make up a schedule that includes multiple visits to say WFJC, on in daylight and one at night. The software is also geared to minimizing wait time, not walking time using an annealing algorithm. So if your goal is to minimize walking time at the expense of wait times this will not do it for you. Also if you set up a trip that has a lot of rides (say 15-25) you can rerun the same schedule and get multiple options and then pick the one that is more "friendly" for you.

That being said I am amazed at how much you can do in a day following the schedule. And that jammed schedule usually includes a large block of free time between 2PM and 8PM.

I think for the casual visitor it does a great job of giving you an efficient schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: RideMax? Reviews?

Tried it once out of curiosity. It has its flaws, but I think it would be very useful to someone that's not too familiar with the parks, and doesn't want to spend the time researching. It would have been hard for me to use properly every day because what I want to do day 2 is affected by what I already did day 1, and so forth. You could do it if you brought a computer to the hotel, of course. Being my weird self, I used it in a weird way. I would put in that we were riding the same thing many times in a row. The reason was to see how quickly the wait would build for any attraction since the program gives the estimate for time waiting in line. From that point of view it was useful in determining what to ride right away as opposed to what will still have a reasonable wait 2 hours into the day.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    RideMax works well especially on busy days. It also gets you to think about different ways to attack the park that might not be so obvious at first glance...That being said I am amazed at how much you can do in a day following the schedule. And that jammed schedule usually includes a large block of free time between 2PM and 8PM.
    Exactly right. You can get most of the same information as free advice here, but Ridemax really helped me understand traffic patterns and, more importantly, how much Fastpasses help to maximize the number of attractions and minimize waiting times if you concentrate on collecting them. I now have a standard plan of attack for the parks (as summarized in my early post), developed primarily using lessons learned from Ridemax.

I'd recommend Ridemax to someone familiar with the parks, but who only goes at most once a year. You know what you like and what you want to do, but want a plan to make sure you don't miss out on anything.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I have boundless energy so I don't care if I get to a ride and it has a long line and we decide to trek across the park to another ride. RideMax would never work for me because I'm too spontaneous. And I like to be always moving.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

I had a great ride max experience, I normally only go to the parks during slower times and I went during spring break this year, the first date we used the schedule and ran into three other people using it as well, and we got to go on every ride we wanted to go on, many of them multiple times. My family gave me a hard time for 'having a schedule on vacation' so the next day I opted not to use it and we spent hours and hours in line and only went on half of the things I wanted to go on.

Also to note the first day when we got on everything we wanted to get on we were in Disneyland the second day where we spent all day in line we were in DCA so you can imagine how busy it was.

I didn't want to have a runner to get fast passes so we could all stay together, I set the pace to slow and it still worked out great.

• "I Break Things"

Depends on the person. Those who I know that have used it have had positive experiences. As noted it does have a few flaws, but again depends on the person.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by cyre View Post
    Anyone used this service? http://www.ridemax.com/

Worth it?
    I feel it's very useful for "newbies" and the "clueless" to Disneyland. We have friends going for the first time with small children on the weekend in June. They need it and have 1 itenary. Me going alone, having been dozens of times maybe not. I feel it really makes sense if for nothing more than to educate people that you can't just show up whenever, and expect to do whatever you want whenever you want. Save that for mid January.
    Janette

We used it last year, and found it very useful. I ran many combinations and printed them off, so had had several choices each day. It was great on the day I was there by myself -i knew what i wanted to do, and I didn't have long waits in line by myself. Later in the trip we used it less.

It does give you large breaks in the middle of the day.We had lunch, napped some days, and others went to DCA.

It does take some fiddling if you want to ride the same thing multiple times, as it tends to schedule them back to back. I ended up doing two different time slots for the same day. that is i did a schedule from say park opening to 2pm, then a separate one for the afternoon and evening, so rides got spread out across the day.

My first day was at the Parks by myself, as DH was at a conference. I had been awake for over 24 hours when I arrived at DLR at about 9:30 am, so I was grateful for some plan in my jetlagged, rather spacy state.

I don't much like waiting in line, and we have to come so far, and pay so much to get to DLR that i wanted to maximise my experience.

I think the main thing is not to get obsessive about following it.

The other advantage i found was that it helped clarify what we would ride. My DH didn't want to do most of Fantasyland, and we sorted that out at home while doing ridemax, rather than having the debate at the park. -i got to do it on my day by myself.
    Visited DLR 1976,1978,1991,2001,2007, 2011; WDW 1976,1985: DLRP 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I know there are a lot of naysayers, but I think Ridemax is great for planning because it makes you actually plan rather than wander aimlessly through the park and end up waiting in longer lines than you need to.
    Isn't wandering aimlessly one of the greatest things about going to a Disney park? Especially for new people, you'll run into interesting things around random corners. I still love to do that and stop and see the shows and characters when I'm walking around, so my opinion is based on that. I guess if all you want to do is ride as many rides as possible (a good plan for Magic Mountain but not for Disneyland in my opinion), then it sounds interesting...

• no flash photography...

it's excellent, but the more you go you just kind of know when to hit what rides and when, but it does work well.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I've been curious about RideMax.

Poll has been added so you can vote on how it has worked for you.

-The Dusty One
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast