Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw the Inside of Space Mountain........Sort Of

Hey everyone,
    I went to Disneyland last Sunday and finally accomplised one of my dreams ..... sort of. Well, as some of you might know, one of my Disney dreams is to see the inside of Space Mountain with the lights on and in person(not on video). I'm sure many of you share this dream. So I went to Space Mountain and got in line and got on fairly quickly thanks to my fastpass.
    We got through the whole ride and just turned into the "re-entry" tunnel where your picture is taken. The lights flashed our picture and then I see another train stopped at the end of the tunnel, but we were still moving towards them . Then, our train immediately haulted and we stopped in the tunnel with the lights that make you feel like you're going backwards. (and if you focused on the train ahead, it really felt like you were going backwards)
    We sit there for a few minutes, with the pre-recorded voice telling us to stay in our cars; then the lights go on and some cast members come and start pushing the train in front of us. Then they came for us.

So to make a long story short, we officially got stuck in "Zone 14" of 15 zones, we didn't get a reride, but I did get to see the inside of the tunnel (which surprisingly has a very low floor under the track); however, I still haven't seen the inside of the actual mountain. I only wonder if i went in line a little bit later, and got on a few trains later, i would have stopped in the mountain! oh well, i've got many more chances.
    Any one else, have any experiences in Space Mountain or other ride break downs? We'll let's here 'em.

Now, for the rest of my trip that day, I've got a few more stories but they don't all have to do with Space Mountain, so I'll post them in Part 2.

• Minion

Re: Saw the Inside of Space Mountain........Sort Of

A train that I was on got e-stoped at the very top of the tracks. The lights came on and I started snapping pics with my phone as fast as I could. They started pushing the shuttles down one by one going from bottom to top. They sent too many shuttles into the mountain and the system sets off an e-stop to prevent them crashing into each other.

Best Space Mountain ride ever!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Had it happen twice. Once at the last brake zone in the showroom and once in the middle. We loved it! Seeing the inside of SM is a rare treat and you get to re-ride (I keep asking to re-ride with the lights on but they say no but one of these days! ). It's also really clean in there and really loud even without the music.

Here are some pics I took of that time:
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...06#post2795006
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

I got stuck once in the mountain and once inside the tunnel.

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

I used to peek inside one of the backstage doors while walking back to the lockers all the time when I use to work there. After closing they would be in there welding some part of the ride almost nightly. In fact they had a dedicated welding trailer parked outside the door!
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

Part 2 - The Year Day of a Million Few Dreams Break-downs

So as I said in part 1, Space Mountain broke down when i rode it once already that day. Well, that's not all that happened to me. Ok keep in mind these aren't all technical break downs; they're just cases during which the ride stopped.

My first ride of the day was Space Mountain (different from part 1), and I went in the 50 minute wait line and while we were still on the outside roof, the ride was stopped because someone lost there glasses on the ride.

Later, that day I went to Splash Mountain and right before we went up the largest lift hill, we stopped. i don't know the cause but we were really close to the log in front the whole ride so i'm assuming it was to space us out before the drop.

Then, i went on big thunder mountain and as we headed up the second lift hill, we stopped. i have no idea what the reason was this time but we stopped for so long that a voice actually came over on a loud speaker (yep a loud speaker in the middle of the wilderness, who knew ) and told us to remain seated. i did get to study some backstage areas those with an aerial view of backstage fantasyland and i looked at the platform where Tinkerbell lands.

Later, I went on the Haunted Mansion and we stopped twice in the graveyard. I'm pretty sure that it was because someone in a wheelchair was entering the ride.

So that was my Day of a Few Break-downs.
    Let's hear stories of other fun(ok probably not fun) ride breakdowns.

hollywood1939, cool pics. I think in the second picture, you can see the peoplemover/rocket rods windows that let people look into the mountain from those rides. There kind of hidden in th back of the picture.

• E T1CK3T

A few years before the refurbishment of Space Mountain in 2005, I was on the coaster with my family when our rocket came to a stop at the brake point just before you turn and go down the biggest drop in the ride. We sat there for a while with the mountain lit up, staring at the entire track above and below us, and waiting for the CMs to come and rescue us. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me... but anyways, eventually, a CM came up and pushed the rocket forward to continue its journey back to the station. We rode out the rest of the ride with the lights on, and when we got back to the station, we were told that we could go through the ride again, and the lights would be off this time. Surprisingly, the lights remained on the ENTIRE ride, even while going up the lift hills, etc. I was very surprised to discover how close the cars come to the sides of the mountain, and even the ceiling... it was an awesome experience, getting to ride Space Mountain with the lights on not just one full time around, but a half of another time as well!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    hollywood1939, cool pics. I think in the second picture, you can see the peoplemover/rocket rods windows that let people look into the mountain from those rides. There kind of hidden in th back of the picture.
    Yeah that's part of it. Where you can really see it, even when the ride is running, is right after the lift hill in the tunnel you turn left and start to go up the last lift hill. From there it's right behind you.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    I was very surprised to discover how close the cars come to the sides of the mountain, and even the ceiling...
    Yes! I remember how close all the bars are to the car from when I went through with the lights on. I think it's scarier with the lights on because you can see how close they are and how likely you'd be able to hurt yourself if you were hanging your hands out the wrong way. I guess there's a reason for the "Keep you hands, legs, and arms inside the rocket at all times."
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 05-29-2008 at 08:09 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thank goodness I've never been stopped in Space Mtn. What a magic ruiner. Although I must say, it looks exactly how I would have imagined it with the lights on. During the Rockin version you could practically see everything anyway. Also I don't really get the excitement some muster for seeing this ride with the lights on.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    [Yes! I remember how close all the bars are to the car from when I went through with the lights on. I think it's scarier with the lights on because you can see how close they are and how likely you'd be able to hurt yourself if you were hanging your hands out the wrong way. I guess there's a reason for the "Keep you hands, legs, and arms inside the rocket at all times."
    You're right, it was kinda scary to see how close everything is to the track and the rockets... and without the music playing, the ride is rather loud too, so it was definitely a completely different experience by sight and sound.

breakdowns are pretty frequent through out the park im a AP holder and go all the time Ive been some days where everything was breaking down Im a lucky one because I can say I rode space twice about half way through with lights on and been stoped 3 times about two turns from the reentry tunnel unfortunately I only had my camera on me during one of the incidents and that was during rockin their was one day I went were it experienced about 5 to 6 breakdowns in a day I know WOW thats alot thats what I thought I have no idea why it had so many but that was one of those day where everything was just having problems

Video of Rockin space E-stop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=EXl4c1vh0z8
    Video of Space Breakdown while in station
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=Ew1vcf5dBtM^This was that day space had about 5 or 6 breakdowns
    Power Levels At Maximum *BEEP* Locking Launch Cordinates

RCT3 Universal Web Site v
    http://www.freewebs.com/mattatt14
    The world was built on Imagination

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

Awww, well at least you kinda got your dream accomplished. I want to take a flashlight on space mountain lol but I would probably get in so much trouble. lol

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

From the videos and pictures it looks like the "exit" sings on Space Mountain only turn on when all the lights are on (maybe not, maybe i just dont notice them while riding). My question is why can they turn them off on Space Mountain, but on attractions like Pirates they are always on. On Pirates sometimes the exits signs are very noticeable. It is because on Pirates you can get out and on Space you can not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast