6-1: Disneyland pictures and things

This visit was planned for either Friday the 30th or the following Sunday. Sunday it turned out to be.

On the way, something not so happy:

Taken at 9:01am Sunday. It would be the following evening when I would learn this was the Universal Studios fire. Unfortunate in itself, but fortunately no casualties and it wasn't people's homes or that sort of thing.

----------------
    On to the Kingdom of the Mouse...

¯
    Yetis, pirates
    Haunted house
    Cups of tea and
    Mickey Mouse

Look out Disneyland
    Here I come
    Because Disneyland is
    Made for fun

¯

Some motives of this visit:
    1: Complete ride-every-ride goal
    2: Crack 1,000,000 on Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    3: Ride California Screamin'
    4: Have a Monte Cristo
    5: Have a Dole Whip
    6: Ride Jungle Cruise at night
    7: Get a picture with ***********

----------------
    To start off:

Every CM deserves one of these! (Even the four-legged variety.)

After Jimmy took us all to the hub, it was off to the usual: a Space Mountain FP and a round of Buzz. 401k/47th. There seems to be less dropped pictures compared to a couple months ago, and your pictures are now emailed directly to you instead of getting the ID code and going to the site. (A minor disadvantage is you don't get the timestamp and info you used to get in the filename before.) Another thing: it looks like you might be able to recover your score and get on the top-10 even if the pictures is dropped, if you kept track of your score. I don't recall the score being on the full-size "sorry transmission error" picture before when I've looked at them, but they are now at least. Just a matter of going through the ones that correspond to where you were in-ride and finding the one that matches you score. Another guest was doing this.

----------------
    After getting in line, about 45 seconds of observation determined that Matterhorn was 101. So that was put on the back burner.

Wonderful things happening underneath? (Referring to refurbishing the facade)

First cup of tea of the day

While I was in line, somebody from outside was asking where I got my hat. This was around 10:55 to 11am. If that was you and you're here on the forum or are reading this by chance, to answer your question, it's homemade. Sorry I couldn't answer you then; it was too noisy and it wasn't possible to talk over it. (You had left after the ride was over.)

Wandering toward Frontierland and on, half-heartedly looking for Dream Squad; didn't see any. Met...is she Jessie? The cowgirl from Toy Story, over near BTMRR.

----------------
    POTC, on impulse:

Timelapse of a few seconds

No, don't do it!

Enjoying the spoils in the midst of an ISO-1600 snowstorm

----------------
    Haunted Mansion immediately afterward, to finish two of the Big Three. Took a few pictures, including a couple timelapses when the ride stopped in front of the endless corridor, but none were remarkable.

----------------
    Mark Twain. Hadn't been since late 80s. This time I got on the correct boat.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

You could easily forget this was Disneyland

This scene overall would look really inviting...were it not for that icky-looking water.

In the trees just to the right of this there was something made of red fabric that looked like a tarp or even a tent. I wonder if it was construction or something, or maybe supposed to look like a campsite (it did sort-of).

----------------
    Luchtime. Location of choice: Café Orleans; you know why.

4: Have a Monte Cristo

...for the first time. This would be the three-cheese variety, dictated by a mild pork allergy. It was pretty much what I was expecting, maybe more so: extremely yummy. I finished maybe 60% of it; one of those four pieces would have been plenty, accompanied with other (lighter) fare. These are obscenely rich, and absolutely not something I can eat in large quantity without risking ill effects. They'd be good in a smaller size as an appetizer.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Was it worth it? Absolutely. (Maybe the traditional variety can be custom-ordered without the allergy-inducing content. That'd be worth trying and probably better.)

----------------
    I felt like taking a spin on Indy sometime today; I'd only rode once before. But it had been 101 since not long after opening. Although it's a great ride, it's a bit rough on the noggin, so if I don't feel like being shaken around I'll pass.

By now it was almost Musical Chairs time.
    Fire Engine to the other end of Main Street. OK, it overshot Coke Corner by just a bit, but so what. The official Bell Ringer did a great job on this trip.

Musical Chairs was a go. Only Hatter and Alice were there this time.

Afterward, there was still time before Parade 1.

At Space Mountain

----------------
    Parade of Dreams I

This movie was pretty good.

Oops! It looked like it had come off its string.

The balloon-vendor CMs appear to do a great job under circumstances like these. Here, it was just some breeziness, nothing that would cancel fireworks or the like.

Some faves:

Hang up and drive.

"I've just about--!"

[Queen] "I quit."
    [Card] *smirks*
    [Dum] "Heh."

That's all, folks!

----------------
    DCA.

3: Ride California Screamin'

It was just a matter of prioritizing it: there had always been this quiet but incessant calling on previous visits but I'd been caught up in other things each time.

Beach theme, although at first glance it can look like "vacant lot theme".

Nice ride (a "single-green" if it were on the DL-rides list). The lack of facility to go to the row you want (front, back, etc) without having to "go through" the load CM by requesting it puts something of a clinker on it. There seems to be room for the individual lines you'd see at most other parks; maybe Fastpass has something to do with it but I don't see why it should. I didn't care what row I got in this case. Was near the back; nice airtime in places.

----------------

Love-er-lee building.

A CM and guest were talking, and commented there was no air-conditioning here. It was indeed uncomfortably warm inside.

----------------
    Up next, to finish it off: one or two panoramas, some Pixar Play Parade, the evening goodness at DL, some timelapses, more.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Re: 6-1: Disneyland pictures and things

Now this is a fun trip report! The excellent shots make me feel like I'm really there.

Great selection of photos.

What were the blue round orb thing in the gardens at Space Mountain?

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    What were the blue round orb thing in the gardens at Space Mountain?
    Maybe they were spirit orbs?

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice trip report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Alien eggs, maybe. They're egg-shaped, but might be pods for some sort of alien plant. Diffenbachia [sp?] (plants w/big green+yellow leaves) certainly aren't alien, though.

Thanks for the feedback so far I'll get the rest up (late) tonight. Still sorting through the pics (only 325-odd this time) and want to put together a panorama or two.

• Premium Youngling and

There are air conditioning vents in the Midway Mercantile... My guess is just that the AC was not turned on

• Ultimate Margarita Time!

Cool report so far, cant wait for the rest

• Directly directed

Great start! Can't wait to see the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    There are air conditioning vents in the Midway Mercantile... My guess is just that the AC was not turned on
    Yeah, I saw the vents in some other pictures I took. I thought I heard the CM say there wasn't AC at all, but maybe it's just not up and running yet.

Alright, finally done. *bushed* These take interminably long to do. It's amazing, those of you who can make quality TRs in such a short time.

Part II

¯
    Flying elephants
    Rides through space
    Oh how I really
    Love this place

¯

Playin' in the Parade.
    The PPP appears well on its way to getting completely back on its feet. The water-gunners weren't bashful this time around either.

Bloonies

Boo! You're huge! (Actually, Imagineering did quite a fantastic job getting this character as small as she is. If she's animatronic, I'd be really impressed.)

The chefs are back on their stilts

Back in action

Coming to a dance floor near you as the Heimlich Maneuver
    *crickets*

An interesting juxtaposition

These guys have water guns. (I had assumed they had them at first, but hadn't seen them squirt anybody with them until now.)

If you take a picture and see this on the screen, you know it's time to hide the camera! (Avoiding a wet camera isn't too hard, as long as you're observant.)

----------------
    Back to DL.
    Some time before Parade 2. Went to main Street Cinema...

For those reading this who haven't seen it, it's simply an appropriately-themed room with five or so screens each showing an early silent Disney short, all set to a common soundtrack. You can come and go whenever. This would be a nice place to go to get out of the heat on a hot day and away from the bustle if you needed to.

Themed to look like you're in the balcony of a big vintage theater. This was a long timelapse. Coincidentally the film was a still image at the time.

----------------
    On the way to the second POD:
    5: Have a Dole Whip

Yummy.

Parade of Dreams II
    The only real bummer of the day, and it wasn't exactly a big one, was here: if I had been at my usual place I would have been in front of my favorite showstopper. Not gonna cry over spilt tea though. While we were waiting, who was obviously a long-time CM was talking to us, giving us some facts and trivia about the monorail and Matterhorn. In hindsight it would have been neat if he had brought up how it was all open inside before until the 1978 revamp, because this might not be that common of knowledge among the average DL guests.

A new computer desktop background image was made from this

"Hey, yoyo! This way..."

"Hi h--wait, didn't we do this last time?"

It all started with the coolest dude and dudette in town.

----------------
    Bob-sleddin' across the Land of Fantasy...

This is from Tomorrowland side, just after the pass-through (big cavern that had the skyway) and heading out front before going to meet the yeti with the flashing lights. Double-decker section to the left (ahead in this shot): the Fantasyland track that parallels this track is on the bottom. On top is the "helix" part of the Fantasyland track from earlier, just after the two tracks diverged with the first visible yeti in between.

----------------
    A ~30-minute timeout to go get the cool-weather wear. Weather was just about perfect the whole day.

----------------
    Remember...Dreams Come True from Plaza Inn

You thought that storm five weeks ago was bad...

Oh--just those again.

----------------

Almost.

----------------
    A couple timelapses at the castle:

5 seconds, ISO 80, open aperture

10 seconds, ISO 80, open aperture

More tea:

Nice shot: the ride stopped exactly here.

----------------
    Fantasmic!
    I was thinking I had seen Fantasmic! for the first time exactly one year ago to the day (June 1, 2007) but in fact it was dark because of the TSI revamp. I first saw it on 8-31.

Some assorted shots:

Another attempt at this

The croc is lit now, and much easier to see. Looks better than in this picture. (Saber-Girl shouldn't have been standing on the wall, but no harm done save some minor annoyance, and not worth making a fuss over.)

"Ow--oo--ee--ow! Ooh--ow!"

Somebody's gonna get...

...zapped tonight.
    Successful at getting this shot this time.

And a better one here too.

----------------
    5: Ride Jungle Cruise at night

It was a pretty good cruise; nighttime is certainly a must-do. Here's a shot of the elephants with the lights off (so not to diusrupt their communicating).

And some other thing going on, just before the Backside of Water, sans lights again:

Oops--the night-vision got left at home.

----------------
    Then, off to Tomorrowland to wrap up the night. On the way, a visit with the Lost Boys:

¯ Off to Never-Never-Land ¯

And a final cup of tea. Here's another attempt at the same shot done earlier. The framing was better this time.

----------------

No stoppages either although there was less competition for targets because it was about 11:45.

Sorry...Dan? Or is it Light Mouse, or whoever usually does this in their BLAB pictures. This was just foolaroundery on my part, and I didn't see the score and know this would be The One for this TR until after the fact. Rest assured it won't ever happen ever never ever again.

To finish things off, that big white ride that's really fun. Don't'cha hate it when you go through the trouble of getting a Fastpass and end up not being able to use it? (Well, OK, that was hardly a big deal here of course, or for that matter just about any time.) Afterwards there was a good deal of loud laughter at the ride-photo area. Whether this

had anything to do with it remains unknown.
    (Yes, that's another Copycats-R-Us act. I tried to do this on Cali Screamin earlier, but didn't know where the camera was ahead of time and ended up not being in position when we got to it.)

----------------
    Now, THIS is how a day at DL should end. Well, almost:
    7: Get a picture with ***********

Oh, well. It'll probably happen eventually; no hurry.

Now for the wind-down phase in the shops. Maybe one more visit just before the SoCal-AP blackout period (~Jul 1 to ~Aug 15) to see TSMM, and then a break to do other things during then.

Goodnight.

These are really nice pictures!

Good job on BLAB!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great trip report! It's funny, I do the same thing as you. I love having a list of things that I have to do at Disneyland that day. It sure makes it a lot more fun.

Thanks for posting!

Chad

• ..but you can call me Pam

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    These are really nice pictures!

Good job on BLAB!
    Thanks: it feels good looking down and seeing that 999999 for the very first time
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee
    Great trip report! It's funny, I do the same thing as you. I love having a list of things that I have to do at Disneyland that day. It sure makes it a lot more fun.
    To clarify, in this case all these were actually first-time-ever things, goals, etc I'd been wanting to do. It was nice nailing them all on one trip. (That last one I wasn't too serious about.)

Thanks a bunch to everyone for the feedback; glad you liked it
    Next visit, probably the end of June before the SoCal blackout period. I've thought about moving these TRs over to my site from now on, for the sake of flexibility. But if people want to keep seeing them here too I suppose it isn't much trouble for the most part to format them as forum posts too. Anyways, I have local versions of this and past TRs (not micechat-specific though but mostly the same) on my site. (The site version of this one will have a panorama of NOS when I get around to making it.)

Peace.